Hey does anyone know the words to the hedgehog song?

Discussion in 'THE WATCH BOOKS' started by Angua_rox, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Angua_rox New Member

Hey does anyone know the words to the hedgehog song? Cause i was looking at a "you know you read to much discworld when.. ." on The Turtle Moves and apparantly the lyrics are out there but I havent been able to find them, like, ever so if anyone knows?
  2. Cynical_Youth New Member

Someone posted a thread on this here.

There is a search function you can use for future queries about what has been posted on the boards here.

You might also want to try running a search on "Hedgehog song" at www.lspace.org. They'll probably have a version. :)
  3. Angua_rox New Member

Thank you! I'm new so please 4give me for duplicating an existing post + thanx for the advice&links.
  4. Cynical_Youth New Member

No problem. Duplicating an existing thread once or twice as a newbit is not a big deal. I linked that thread because it has the answer to your question and a very nice musical adaptation of the song. :)
  5. Hsing Moderator

Hm... The link to Wazzo's page doesn't work for me... :(
    I was never able to imagine the tune, sadly.
  6. koshu New Member

ive managed to find it a couple of times, if you want i could go and search for the links again im sure i could find them again
  7. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:5f6409ee82="Angua_rox"]Thank you! I'm new so please 4give me for duplicating an existing post + thanx for the advice&links.[/quote:5f6409ee82]

The words are "forgive," "and," and "thanks." In the future, please use them correctly. This is not a chatroom. There is no excuse for chatspeak.
  8. Saccharissa Stitcher

Why are use using chatspeak in the first place? You have made perfectly intelligible posts in this board, so it's not a matter of you being used to that sort of thing, to the point it is a reflex.
  9. Angua_rox New Member

[quote:22d84c6b21="Ba"][quote:22d84c6b21="Angua_rox"]Thank you! I'm new so please 4give me for duplicating an existing post + thanx for the advice&links.[/quote:22d84c6b21]

The words are "forgive," "and," and "thanks." In the future, please use them correctly. This is not a chatroom. There is no excuse for chatspeak.[/quote:22d84c6b21]

I apologise fully for my actions. You are right there is no excuse for using chatroom talk! I must have been spending too long texting. . . Just so I don't cause offence in future is the & symbol acceptable for and?
  10. Ba Lord of the Pies

No. It is only two extra characters. It is not a hardship to type.
  11. Angua_rox New Member

Very well. I presume that saying don't etc instead of do not and etc instead of etcetera are all right?
  12. Ba Lord of the Pies

Indeed. Ordinary contractions and some abbreviations are a normal part of the language.
  13. Angua_rox New Member

True but I had thought that some contractions could make harder to read for those who don't have English as a first language. That's fine though, thank you for clearing the matter up. :)
    Just out of curiousity why is chatroom talk frowned upon here? Is it because of those whose mother tongue isn't English? Or is it just out of politeness?
  14. Ba Lord of the Pies

Partly those whose native tongue isn't English. Partly because everyone who uses chatspeak should be slowly flayed alive, dipped in salt, and then cut into little pieces, starting at the extremeties.
  15. Roman_K New Member

[quote:639b70c0fc="Ba"]Partly those whose native tongue isn't English. Partly because everyone who uses chatspeak should be slowly flayed alive, dipped in salt, and then cut into little pieces, starting at the extremeties.[/quote:639b70c0fc]

To expand on that, raping the English language, stealing everything in its house, killing its little kids and setting fire to the house as you leave is [i:639b70c0fc]not[/i:639b70c0fc] a nice thing to do. In fact, I would go as far as to call it... vexing. Fortunately, you did not go that far.

Now, if one wishes to be treated like an intelligent person, one must make the effort to write as one. Outside of a chatroom, there is no need to post in a hurry. One should make the extra effort, as the lack of it will mean lack of respect for the poster.

If one is unable to make the extra effort, due to being unfamiliar with the language or dyslectic, then that is understandable, though we still expect them to do what they can. It's not much we're asking for, in my opinion, but I thank you for respecting our guidelines nontheless. First time mistakes are only to be expected.
  16. Angua_rox New Member

Okely dokely. Wait. . . . are wierd expressions like that acceptable?
    Also I occasionally use expressions like c'est la vie, que sera, sera, etc. Are these allowable in whatever language they were in, should I include a translation or just include a translation?
  17. Mynona Member

those expressions are common and do not need a translation, though if I, for example, felt the need to write 'P stor krig" I'd have to provide the translation (which , by the way, is 'P big warrior'... don't ask and I won't tell.)
  18. Roman_K New Member

Posting for Garner.

[quote:38c1d60a9b="Garner"]"Hyperbole and unnecessary graphic metaphores aside, we have a long tradition of using 'formal casual' English around here. If you forget to cross an 'i' or dot a 't', no one's going to go ballistic. Droped case, comma splices, even verb tense agreement errors are not cardinal sins.

Substituting numbers for letters or words, or relying on 'textphone' or 'chatspeak' typing are, however, major no-nos. The occasional 'lol' is considered acceptible, as is the use of smilies by way of emoticon replies. This should, I would have assumed, been self evident to anyone who's spent any time looking around the place.

The key is simply 'write clearly.' If you call someone an insulting name but include a happy smiley face, this is ambigious and confusing. If you use no punctuation or line breaks, your text becomes a jumble and difficult to read. If you use excessive abreviations and various forms of internet languages, you will alienate a lot of people here.

that's the long and short of it. expressions in foreign languages that are in common idiomatic usage in english would not require translation. If anyone doesn't know, they can ask. posting entirely in a foreign language might be annoying, as this is an english language community, but then again it may sometimes be relevant to a discussion if someone's asking for help in improving their french.

take your queues from the community, and take any correctional advice with good graces, and you'll do fine. learning to ignore the graphic excesses of some of our lunatic fringe may also help. sadly, i fear that because your screenname includes one of those forms of shorthand (-cks replaced with -x), they may have over reacted a bit, u no?"[/quote:38c1d60a9b]
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:f93546c46c="Garner"]If you call someone an insulting name but include a happy smiley face, this is ambigious and confusing. [/quote:f93546c46c]

A bit like saying "Rinso has such a sexy beard" with a serious face.
  20. Electric_Man Templar

Hey Katcal, do you mind lowering your Rinso-joke quotient? I know he's a
    weird person that we (which definitely includes me) like to make fun of,
    but sometimes you seem to overdo it. I'm not saying you should cut it out
    altogether, a bit of taking the piss out of Rinso is good for you, like red
    wine. But, also like red wine, too much can be a bad thing.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

:oops: Oh, sorry... I do tend to take the piss a lot, and I guess I do over do it sometimes, but it was definitely not meant to offend anyone, Rinso is just one of the people I "know" the best here, and I may just have got too confortable with that particular joke. Sorry again, I'll try to cut down on that... :oops: **wonders where you can get Rinsotine patches**
  22. Angua_rox New Member

Cool and thanks to all who steered me on the right path :)
    Is the Rinso thing an in joke or something I'll eventually get or just a random thing?
  23. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:33d7c4eae2="Angua_rox"]Is the Rinso thing an in joke or something I'll eventually get or just a random thing?[/quote:33d7c4eae2]

All three, but mainly the first one and less of the third one.
  24. Angua_rox New Member

Huh. :)
    [quote:bae287ff08]sadly, i fear that because your screenname includes one of those forms of shorthand (-cks replaced with -x), they may have over reacted a bit, u no?"[/quote:bae287ff08]
    I chose said name before I was aware of the rules/guidelines against chatspeak etc. Whoops. . . . . Oh well, "He who makes no mistakes makes nothing. . . ."