Has anyone ever seen this on the internet?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Marcia, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Marcia Executive Onion

In line with the discussion on meat eating.

There is a chart that I have seen in print, something that gets put on people's walls at work, and so forth, which lists living things in relation to you, and what you can ethically do to them, such as kill them and/or eat them.

It starts with close family members at the top, then goes down to very dissimilar living things, like insects, worms, plants.

So, for example, it would say things like

Person like you - can't kill, can't eat
    Person very different from you - can kill, can't eat
    Mammals - can kill sometimes, can eat sometimes
    Insects - can kill, can't eat

(There were also little pictures of the things described.)

I have searched for this on the internet, because I wanted to show it to people, but haen't been able to find it.

Has anyone seen this, or know where I can find it on the internet, or even know what I am talking about?

Why do I have a feeling that Ba knows about this?
  2. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:672a44fdb1="Marcia"]Why do I have a feeling that Ba knows about this?[/quote:672a44fdb1]

Because Ba knows all?
  3. Deathinapinkboa New Member

I'm not so sure about the close family members one, you are more likely to be killed by a family member than a stranger.
  4. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:38d6aeb353="Deathinapinkboa"]I'm not so sure about the close family members one, you are more likely to be killed by a family member than a stranger.[/quote:38d6aeb353]

It's an ethical listing. What you are allowed to do, not what is likely to happen.

And it's not an indication of what the person who wrote the chart believes. It's an illustration of what ethical systems usually say. For example, if you kill a family member, you're seen as a murderer. If you kill a foreigner in a war, you're seen as a hero who valiantly defeated an enemy.
  5. Pixel New Member

In some parts of the world, insects are eaten by people - is this unethical?
  6. Smoking_GNU New Member

No, just sickening to the people not in those parts of the world, mostly. :)
  7. Roman_K New Member

[quote:9e07afb11e="Pixel"]In some parts of the world, insects are eaten by people - is this unethical?[/quote:9e07afb11e]

Ah, this reminds me that there's one type of insect Jews are allowed to eat. A type of grasshopper or some such. In any case, we forgot exactly which type of grasshopper this is, so we don't eat any insects these days. The Jews of Yemen, I believe, have kept better records on this matter and believe that they know which insect this is, so they're allowed to eat it if they wish.

I believe it was eaten while coated in honey.
  8. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Can't they tell you want insect it is, so all may share the joy of honeyed grass hoppers?
  9. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:c550b06264="Roman_K"][quote:c550b06264="Pixel"]In some parts of the world, insects are eaten by people - is this unethical?[/quote:c550b06264]

Ah, this reminds me that there's one type of insect Jews are allowed to eat. A type of grasshopper or some such. In any case, we forgot exactly which type of grasshopper this is, so we don't eat any insects these days. The Jews of Yemen, I believe, have kept better records on this matter and believe that they know which insect this is, so they're allowed to eat it if they wish.

I believe it was eaten while coated in honey.[/quote:c550b06264]

In the New Testament, John the Baptist lived off a diet of locusts and wild honey.
  10. Pixel New Member

Mini-spoiler Sourcery: (white-texted)
    [quote:9d25b95b9a][color=white:9d25b95b9a]Isn't there a bit in Sourcery where Rincewind is enjoying honeyed locusts until he is told what they are? [/color:9d25b95b9a][/quote:9d25b95b9a]
  11. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:49b2d3ea62="Pixel"]In some parts of the world, insects are eaten by people - is this unethical?[/quote:49b2d3ea62]

OK. It's not just a list of what you should shouldn't do because it's morally wrong, but a list of things you should and shouldn't do according to cultural traditions.

Once again, it's just the author's impression of the culture he sees around him.
  12. Roman_K New Member

[quote:63c8fa3646="OmKranti"][quote:63c8fa3646="Roman_K"][quote:63c8fa3646="Pixel"]In some parts of the world, insects are eaten by people - is this unethical?[/quote:63c8fa3646]

I believe it was eaten while coated in honey.[/quote:63c8fa3646]

In the New Testament, John the Baptist lived off a diet of locusts and wild honey.[/quote:63c8fa3646]

Locusts! That's it! I knew I got something wrong! A type of locusts it is!

[quote:63c8fa3646="Rincewind"]Can't they tell you want insect it is, so all may share the joy of honeyed grass hoppers?[/quote:63c8fa3646]

They can. They have. Most everyone else has:

A. Doubts that the records are all that valid, as they are the only group to claim to know the specific type of locusts.

B. No will at all to eat insects.