Getting to know you: multiple-choice game

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Buzzfloyd, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Synchronised swimming is so weird.
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Meh, so are 10 year-old kids :D
  3. Angua_rox New Member

Iceskating, however, is brilliant.
  4. plaid New Member

right... well, here we go then.

which of the following relatives taught me to ride a bike?

a. dad
    b. older brother
    c. younger sister
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh well, I'll go for younger sister. Not logical, but it's the funniest answer.
  6. KaptenKaries New Member

I think plaid's older brother taught her to ride a bike.
  7. plaid New Member

i in fact have no older brothers. katcal guessed right.
    congratulations.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Meh, I should stop playing, it's not easy thinking of questions... Here's one Reg suggested (about me, still)

From primary school to university, I have been in quite a few amateur and semi-professional theatre and musical productions. What was the strangest part I ever played ?

1) Bill Sykes in [i:8fec7af536]Oliver[/i:8fec7af536]
    2) Frank N. Furter in the [i:8fec7af536]Rocky Horror Show[/i:8fec7af536]
    3) Mary Magdalene in [i:8fec7af536]Jesus Christ Superstar[/i:8fec7af536]
    4) Willy Wonka in [i:8fec7af536]Charlie and the chocolate factory[/i:8fec7af536]
  9. fairyliquid New Member

I'll guess 4...because willy wonka is definitely strange enough.
  10. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'll say 1 - Bill Sykes.

Just a hunch.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:a782738e8b="Joculator"]I'll say 1 - Bill Sykes.

Just a hunch.[/quote:a782738e8b]
    Nah, the hunch is Quasimodo in notre Dame :D Keep guessing people, I'll tell you when all the choices have been taken ;)
  12. Hsing Moderator

...says I.
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Frank N Furter!
  14. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Okay, if i can have another go, I take the last option... Willie Wonka
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

No you can't have another go, and number is already taken...

Besides, you win, Joculator, it was number 1, Bill Sykes, at age 10, false stubble and all...

I occasionally played a couple of parts in the Rocky Horror Show during the 3 years I directed it with an amateur troup, just to help out when actors (well, actresses usually) weren't there, and I personally coached our fabulous Frank N Furter, but I never played his part on stage ;)
  16. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Boy this is becoming exciting and surely I must run out of lucky guesses soon, but in the meantime here is my question.
    Durham City is regarded to be fairly quiet, but which one of the following have I never had a "close encouter of the third kind" with when travelling around the area?

1 - Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson)
    2 - Suggs & Madness (zany pop group)
    3 - Linda Lusardi (ex model and now an actress)
    4 - Sting (pop singer)
    5 - Prefab Sprout (north east band)

Cunningly raises the choices to 5 to allow more people to play :)

*edited to ...which one of...
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, I'm listening to Suggs on Virgin radio at the momen, so I'll go for him... Madness rock...
  18. KaptenKaries New Member

I'm guessing for the Prefab Sprout, only because that's the only one, except the one Kat took, that I've never heard about.
  19. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hmm, with Prefab Sprout gone, I'll go for Sting.
  20. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'm going to guess you've never had an encounter with Mr. Bean.
  21. fairyliquid New Member

I'll go for that last lonely option...Linda Lusardi

Even though I have no idea who she is...
  22. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Move over dinosaurs, here comes Joculator. I keep forgetting some of you young'uns weren't around in the 80's. :(
    But enough of this maudlin' !

Buzzfloyd, you've done it again. I'm now starting to look for hidden cameras. :)

Sting is the correct answer, I used to drink in Newcastle where he lived and although I saw him on several occassions, I never got the chance to speak to him.

For the rest...
    Rowan Atkinson:- I met him in a photographic shop when he was shopping for a camera.
    Prefab Spout:- They used to practice only yards away from my home in a disused garage. [i:a0e5128ba8] I once threatened to wrap a guitar round the lead singer's head at 11pm because of the noise they were making.[/i:a0e5128ba8]
    Linda Lusardi:- Ex Page 3 model turned actress, played Snow white at a local theatre. I was doing a recorded interview for the local hospital brodcasting service.
    Suggs and Madness:- They produced two or three of their early recordings up here at a friend of mine's studio.
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

Meh, silly me I misread the question I thought you had only met one of them... Duh ! :cooler:
  24. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Just lucky guesses, Joculator, just lucky guesses...

When ordering a pizza, which is my preferred topping selection (in addition to cheese and tomato)?

1) Ham and pineapple
    2) Green peppers and sweetcorn
    3) Olives, mushrooms and green peppers
    4) Pepperoni and mushrooms
    5) Nothing
  25. KaptenKaries New Member

I'm guessing for pepperoni and shrooms, that sounds like a tasty pizza.

My favourite pizza would be cheese, tomato, ham and gorgonzola.
  26. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Choice 3 sounds tasty.
  27. fairyliquid New Member

I'll go for nothing...mostly because It's all I'll ever eat (actually if I had it my way it would be a thin scraping of cheese and a tomato sauce (no whole tomatoes) on a base...
  28. jaccairn New Member

I'll go for 1, Ham & pineapple as it's my favourite and I can't stand sweetcorn.
  29. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Agghhh! The frustration of not knowing!
    Will someone please take the last option so I can find out the answer.
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Bah, ok, I'll go for pepperoni and shrooms, although the shrooms are a mistake, IMHO...
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That option was already guessed!
  32. mowgli New Member

I'll go for green peppers and sweetcorn :) . It seems too weird to be a fake answer (unless I'm the only one who's never seen sweetcorn on a pizza before)
  33. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Only two years later, I'd like to say that Inna got it right and it's her turn.

Yeah, watch me bump those old threads!
  34. mowgli New Member

"It's alllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!"

Okay, now that the thread's officially resurrected (and I won! YAY!)...

These are the things that caused me the biggest culture shock after we first left Ukraine in 1990. Except for one.

1) A bald guy in ancient Greek outfit, wearing a leafy wreath of some kind with a lit(!) lightbulb in the middle of his forehead, chatting people up outside a church

2) Bubble gum ("What's the point of eating something that you're supposed to spit out afterwards ?")

3) Drinking cold orange juice to fight a cold. Everyone knows that drinking cold beverages is what MAKES you sick - you're supposed to drink hot tea in order to get better.

4) Kiwi fruit ("What ARE these hairy things?")

5) Dental braces ("These girls are wearing jewelry on their TEETH?")
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I vote for number 2. Surely you have bubblegum in Ukraine?!
  36. Hsing Moderator

I'm going for dental braces because people here still make jokes about all the fruits and stuff you couldn't buy, and the "drink hot stuff to make you feel better" thing rings a bell too, but medical care wasn't that much behind on the other side of the iron curtain.
  37. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba's going to vote for number one, on the basis that Ukraine is foreign parts, and thus people like that are probably a dime a dozen there.
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's freezing, so I'll go for number 3...
  39. TamyraMcG Active Member

I pick 3 as well, but the bubble gum thing does also seem possibly a put on.
  40. mowgli New Member

Buzzfloyd wins :smile:

We indeed had bubble gum in Ukraine, but no locally-made kind (the Soviet version didn't bubble, and only came in 3 flavors: mint, orange or coffee). People would bring gumballs from foreign trips, and their kids would show these treasures off to their closest friends, like it was the gold of El Dorado. Those and lollypops. You remembered exactly where you, when you got your first lollypop!

It's different there now!
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Woot!

OK. Let's see.

I have recently started following an old suggestion of Mal's - write one sentence every day, even if that's all you write.

In which of the following did I last write a sentence?
    1) The novel I'm working on
    2) A sermon
    3) A short story for my writing group
    4) 2001: A Board Odyssey
  42. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'll go for #1. Just a guess, as always :)
  43. Hsing Moderator

I go for #3.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Let's hope it's #4!
  45. Ba Lord of the Pies

That leaves #2. Perhaps Grace has switched sides, and will be preaching a sermon on the morality of the properly flaky crust.
  46. mowgli New Member

Bugger it, Ba... I JUST stopped being hungry for five seconds!
  47. spiky Bar Wench

Dammit I'm out of options but I would've said 2.
  48. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Ba, please! This week's sermon will be on the fate of those who donate clipped krugerands.

But Kat's optimism wins this round - number 4 is the correct answer!
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay! So, Grace, when's the next installment?

Hmm. Let's see...

What mildly OCD-like behaviour do I have?

1) I can only carry carrier bags with my left hand, because it just feels wrong with the right hand.
    2) I can't see a lucky penny without picking it up, sometimes causing potentially hazardous situations for myself and others
    3) The toilet paper roll must always have the paper coming off the top, not from underneath. This includes public toilets and other people's houses.
    4) I can't buy packets with odd numbers of things in them (not including cereal/rice/pasta, etc. of course but say a packet of 5 biscuits is out of the question)
  50. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Sorry to say, I suffer from condition #3 also. Damn annoying at times it is too.

So I'm putting the good money on that one. :D
  51. mowgli New Member

I go for #1! Of course you want to carry stuff in your left hand, because you need your right hand to do things! Unless you're left-handed...

(when I was in college, I always carried my painting portfolio in my left hand. This got me into a habit of walking on people's left hand side, so that the portfolio wouldn't bump against our legs. Now if I ever walk on people's right hand side, I feel uncomfortable, like I put my clothes on backwards :tongue:)
  52. spiky Bar Wench

I'm going for 4, I would've said 3 cos I also feel the same way and will change the roll at friends' houses but I refrain in public toilets...

Although my problem with 4 is that nearly all biscuits are odd numbered (I think the standard Tim Tam packet is 13). This is because social situations tend to be even, so if you want to cater for everyone getting an equal share you need to by 2 packets. Thus the company sells more. Those evil bastards!
  53. TamyraMcG Active Member

I will say #2, I have no chance of passing a penny on the ground with out picking it up. Plus I think that was the only option left.
  54. Ba Lord of the Pies

2 isn't OCD, it's sound financial sense.

Ba guesses #5, obsessively grooming rabbits that Katcal happens upon. Possibly with posh hair-dos and glitter.
  55. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I would also have gone for 3, being that way inclined myself, but Ba may have swayed me. Hmmm...
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

Curses, Ba has uncovered the bane of my life. And that of all the rabbits within a 20 mile radius!

Although I know people who suffer from 3 and 4, I don't have them myself. I am hopelessly right handed, and although I always carry my handbag in the same way, I have no problem at all carrying carrier bags in either hand...

So it's 2, and since moving to Ireland this has become quite a problem, for there are pennies everywhere. I am learning to resist it, especially in situations such as walking down a flight of stairs in a large crowd of commuters all going the same way and therefore risking a major trampling. There is also a penny on a sleeper exactly opposite the place where I stand to wait for my evening train, completely out of reach, and it really really bugs me! :D

So Tamyra wins...
  57. TamyraMcG Active Member

It's the having to be creative that scares me. I probably could come up with several weird/odd things that are true easier then three that aren't.
    #1-When I was a little kid I got caught swimming in a mudpuddle in the yard, a yard that cattle had free run of, Mom hosed me off throughly before she gave me my spanking.
    #2-After our wedding, Jon had to take the car through a carwash because my brothers had plastered unscrewed sandwich cookies all over the car, and the rain had made a mushy mess of them.
    #3-Sitting in a chair has become very hard on my legs , so I use an exercise ball to sit on when I am at my computer.
    #4-I am at risk for diabetes , so I have a blood sugar meter and I use it everyday to check my levels, even though I haven't actually got the disease, yet.
  58. spiky Bar Wench

SO am I guessing what's true or what's not?
  59. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba's going to guess that 1 is a fiction. Everyone knows Minnesota didn't discovery hygiene until the eighties.
  60. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I'm guessing its #3, either way :D