FAQ Suggestions!

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Buzzfloyd, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

OK, guys. I have compiled a list of all the stuff we have talked about that we want in the FAQ, and a little bit more. I really liked Mal's idea of calling it a Code of Conduct. There is a lot in Mal's post that isn't covered in here, and I'm not sure in what way we would want to mesh them together.

At any rate, please read through this carefully and give opinions. In a week's time (or longer if felt necessary), I will recompile the list with people's comments taken into account, to make a draft FAQ for community approval.

In my opinion, the FAQ should open with a [i:40d3aeb443]very brief[/i:40d3aeb443] history of who we are and how we got here.

There should be links to threads such as the Intros thread, Album uploads, official threads, Sarge’s Highway Code etc.

Technical questions are answered in the “Board Usage FAQ” which can be accessed from the top of every page. This FAQ is about behaviour on the board and our code of conduct. Questions on technical matters should be posted in the Temple.

All items in the FAQ should have their reasoning explained, but the format (particularly conciseness) needs to be considered for the sake of keeping people’s attention. Is it possible to have expandable subject lines that show the reasoning when clicked upon? Or perhaps the list of rules should be displayed at the top of the thread, and one could scroll down to longer posts that give the reasoning.

First, these are brief summaries of subjects carried over from the old FAQ (* indicates those that I would like to see revised or clarified in some way):

Be honest
    Use proper English
    DO NOT use multiple screen names
    Do not use animated avatars/ banner ads etc
    Do not post in character* [color=red:40d3aeb443](We also had ‘do not register as a character’, but what about Rinso, Hex etc?)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    No roleplaying/ pool parties etc, except where confined to one thread
    Try not to register a name too similar to another member’s* [color=red:40d3aeb443](Can we change screen names?)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    Explain your edits
    Apologise for mistakes
    Don’t ask us to do your research/homework
    Change your avatar if asked or you realise it’s the same as someone else’s
    Don’t ask obvious questions* [color=red:40d3aeb443](We need to say what the obvious questions are, with links to official threads, the Discworld Novels list etc)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    If you are a newbie giving an opinion on an argument, you do so at your own risk.
    Use the Search function before starting a new thread
    DO NOT start off by promoting your own stuff
    Thread hijacking happens* [color=red:40d3aeb443](Are there any thoughts on how this should be dealt with, the ability to split threads etc?)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    It’s best not to flood the board with posts when you are new
    Change your sig if asked
    DO NOT post email jokes* [color=red:40d3aeb443](We should have an official thread for jokes, since some of us like to read them)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    Listen to advice/corrections
    If you quote someone, name them
    Don’t be afraid to ask questions

And now, these are subjects brought up on this board that should be addressed:
    The role of moderators
    Making complaints about mod activity/feedback
    Ranks – how they work
    NO TROLLING on this board or others
    Rules on banning [color=red:40d3aeb443](I think instant banning offences should be written in bold or red or both.)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    No flirting.

These are things that I personally think we should include:
    Transcripts of “When Doors met...” interviews
    Official discussion groups (already started up, courtesy of CY)
    NEW HOW TO’S [color=red:40d3aeb443](Which subjects do we need?)[/color:40d3aeb443]
    A statement that this community is still self-policing and that the mods act on behalf of the community to enforce its will.
    Which standard net abbreviations are acceptable here, and how often it's suitable to use them.
    A statement that we prefer quality rather than quantity in posts.

Once completed, I suggest that we make a sticky of the FAQ in [i:40d3aeb443]every forum[/i:40d3aeb443].
  2. Victimov8 New Member

[quote:1168d8bbe0]Don’t ask obvious questions*[/quote:1168d8bbe0]
    [quote:1168d8bbe0]Don’t be afraid to ask questions [/quote:1168d8bbe0]

This could cause a little confusion I think
    Other than that, I have no complaints

[quote:1168d8bbe0]DO NOT post email jokes* (We should have an official thread for jokes, since some of us like to read them) [/quote:1168d8bbe0]
    I'd agree with that too :)

[quote:1168d8bbe0]If you quote someone, name them [/quote:1168d8bbe0]

All quotes from Buzzfloyd :shock:

Edit to change by to from - Grammar check please
  3. fairyliquid New Member

[quote:0b05dbc167="Buzzfloyd"]If you are a newbie giving an opinion on an argument, you do so at your own risk. [/quote:0b05dbc167]

This sounds a bit harsh…It’s a good tip but may put people off posting valid opinions.
    How about
    “If you are a newbie giving an opinion on an argument, be cautious.
    You may not fully understand the argument and cause more trouble”

It depends on how you view ‘argument’ some newbits may consider this a discussion and step back. I just think it needs to be clear.

[quote:0b05dbc167]Use proper English[/quote:0b05dbc167]

Might want to point out proper English does not include chat speak. Sad as it is, some people do not realise this

[quote:0b05dbc167]Thread hijacking happens* (Are there any thoughts on how this should be dealt with, the ability to split threads etc?) [/quote:0b05dbc167]

It depends on how far it goes, how about if an off-topic conversation goes on for x number of posts then mods could either split it, or if it wouldn’t make a new thread then kindly ask others keep to the topic.

[quote:0b05dbc167]Do not post in character* (We also had ‘do not register as a character’, but what about Rinso, Hex etc?)[/quote:0b05dbc167]

I don’t think it is necessary to say names shouldn’t be in character. We could make a recommendation that it is best to have something original for others to remember you by, rather than an already existing character. We can’t really say don’t register as one considering there are some who already have.

[quote:0b05dbc167]DO NOT post email jokes* (We should have an official thread for jokes, since some of us like to read them)[/quote:0b05dbc167]

There are some decent email jokes out there so an official jokes thread would be a good idea if someone wants to share.

Apart from that, it seems great.

edit: fix quotes
  4. sleepy_sarge New Member

Thanks Buzzfloyd - great stuff - now if only we could [i:6b936b956a]keep[/i:6b936b956a] it that concise...

Something about having consideration for members under a certain age or those who are accessing from family/public/work places by not posting overly explicit or controversial images directly, but instead providing a link with a clear warning as to the content.

And a joke thread would be splendid.
  5. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:7715bd4a0a="buzzfloyd"](We also had ‘do not register as a character’, but what about Rinso, Hex etc?) [/quote:7715bd4a0a]

I don't see that as a problem, as long as they don't post as the character.

[quote:7715bd4a0a="buzzfloyd"](Are there any thoughts on how this should be dealt with, the ability to split threads etc?) [/quote:7715bd4a0a]

I think we should just leave them be, hijacks can be fun, and unless there's an absolute arsehole involved, they'll be easily re-railed. If there is an arsehole, and we repeatedly ask them not to continue hijacking, then we take steps.

I agree with all the other points in the FAQ, and have nothing to comment about the rest of it at this moment in time.
  6. Maljonic Administrator

I don't think we should stop people having Discworld related names, it is a Discworld fans' site after all, but just point out that posting in character is frowned upon and you will get moaned at, a lot, and eventually be banned if you carrying on regardless of community wishes. :)
  7. Cynical_Youth New Member

I agree with EM. I don't mind people registering under a character name and hijacks are a natural part of conversations.

A possible definition of obvious questions:

A question that can be answered with a simple google/board-search or a question for which there is an official thread.

A good FAQ!
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Thanks very much for the comments, guys! There's just one thing I want to clarify:

[quote:bc1de4464f="fairyliquid"][quote:bc1de4464f="Buzzfloyd"]If you are a newbie giving an opinion on an argument, you do so at your own risk. [/quote:bc1de4464f]

This sounds a bit harsh…It’s a good tip but may put people off posting valid opinions.
    How about
    [/quote:bc1de4464f]
    I agree that it sounds harsh, but it's written for the context of this list. For the proper FAQ, I would write it out in a nicer way, but this is just to concisely summarise the rules we're considering to let people know what they are. There are several on that list that I would wish to phrase differently for the FAQ proper.
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Be honest
    [b:d8508a61ac]Use proper English [/b:d8508a61ac]
    Maybe add no l33t or net abbrieations. In the explanation –(can we have expandable/flip down stuff,mal?)- we should mention that many of us are foreign or Dystarded and do not understand what many of these things mean.

[b:d8508a61ac]Do not post in character* (We also had ‘do not register as a character’, but what about Rinso, Hex etc?) [/b:d8508a61ac]

As Said before, Character names are find…maybe ask people for confusions sake to pick a name that hasn’t been used or is obviously different, but this is mentioned later.

[b:d8508a61ac]No roleplaying/ pool parties etc, except where confined to one thread [/b:d8508a61ac]

If someone had a discworld mended Drum thread would we be happy with that? I’m ok with it as long as it says in the thread.

[b:d8508a61ac]Don’t ask obvious questions* (We need to say what the obvious questions are, with links to official threads, the Discworld Novels list etc) [/b:d8508a61ac]

Maybe ‘Most common questions are answered here[link], don’t ask these obvious questions’

[b:d8508a61ac]If you are a newbie giving an opinion on an argument, you do so at your own risk. [/b:d8508a61ac]

Someone else (sorry can’t remember who!) re-wrote this in what I think is a better way.

[b:d8508a61ac]Use the Search function before starting a new thread[/b:d8508a61ac]

I’m not sure how need this is. If we have the obvious threads sticky people won’t ask those questions anymore, and I don’t mind if the less obvious onces are doubled ever now and then. I think asking people to do a search everytime they want to do a thread may put people off. Besides, none of us do it, I’m not sure about having rules that we don’t follow ourselves.

[b:d8508a61ac]Thread hijacking happens* (Are there any thoughts on how this should be dealt with, the ability to split threads etc?)[/b:d8508a61ac]

Seening as we have the power to split a thread, I don’t see the problem with using it. I only think it should be done if people request it, though.

Maybe “Thread Hijacking happens it’s the nature of conversation. If you want to bring the conversation back on track just ask people, or if the hi-jack is big enough ask a mod to spilt the thread into to separate topics”?

It’s best not to flood the board with posts when you are new
    Change your sig if asked
    DO NOT post email jokes* (We should have an official thread for jokes, since some of us like to read them)
    Listen to advice/corrections
    If you quote someone, name them
    Don’t be afraid to ask questions

And now, these are subjects brought up on this board that should be addressed:

[b:d8508a61ac]The role of moderators[/b:d8508a61ac]

People need to look at the thread on this.

[b:d8508a61ac]Making complaints about mod activity/feedback [/b:d8508a61ac]

I think there should be a sticky thread in the temple- if anyone has a problem with how a mod has behavied should be kept off the main board and raised there. Mods should be accountable for everything they do.

[b:d8508a61ac]Ranks – how they work [/b:d8508a61ac]

what ranks? Do you mean the ranks by our names? After 500 votes you get one. It stays unchangeable until you reach the next 500 posts.

[b:d8508a61ac]Rules on banning (I think instant banning offences should be written in bold or red or both.) [/b:d8508a61ac]

We need to decide what rules are instant banning. Are we having 3 strikes? What do we mean by trolling?

note: probably a billion cross posts. the bold is what grace had said.
  10. Freya New Member

Just for clarification, may I ask what exactly is a "Pool Party" on a Forum?

Thanks.

[i:f101d6cb51]EDIT: to add....[/i:f101d6cb51]

I think that all the above points give a good basis for the FAQ. Given my ongoing confusion over "Pool Party", perhaps a link to an Unseen Board Babelfish might be a good idea. ;) .....and I've always wanted to know what a Thunderspork was! (A hybrid spoon/lightening fork to use on your deli pot of ambrosia?)
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:a48b4ff764="Buzzfloyd"]Thanks very much for the comments, guys! There's just one thing I want to clarify:

[quote:a48b4ff764="fairyliquid"][quote:a48b4ff764="Buzzfloyd"]If you are a newbie giving an opinion on an argument, you do so at your own risk. [/quote:a48b4ff764]

How about
    [/quote:a48b4ff764]
    I agree that it sounds harsh, but it's written for the context of this list. For the proper FAQ, I would write it out in a nicer way, but this is just to concisely summarise the rules we're considering to let people know what they are. There are several on that list that I would wish to phrase differently for the FAQ proper.[/quote:a48b4ff764]

If you think anything we do is too harsh, I strongly urge you to pack up all your bags and move to the stamps forum before anyone's oversensitivity becomes a problem later on down the line.
  12. Rincewind Number One Doorman

No. I agree with fairy/buzz on this. It's ok to be harsh for a reason/when someone deserves it. But there is no reason to be harsh just for the sake of it. These rules are to be clear and understandable and to the point. Harsh is an emotive term if thats whats used to describle any of the rules I think it's a bad sign and will end up causing more troubles than it will solve. Remember while we don't want to become nicey-nice land, there is point about unnessasary rudness and the trouble it can cause.
  13. aegron New Member

I also think it is a good faq, but I do think some kind of babelfish-topic (courtesy of freya) would be nice to help newbies settle in.
  14. Kat_in_the_Hat New Member

[quote:e0b10e9db4="Rincewind"][b:e0b10e9db4]Ranks – how they work [/b:e0b10e9db4]

what ranks? Do you mean the ranks by our names? After 500 votes you get one. It stays unchangeable until you reach the next 500 posts.

[/quote:e0b10e9db4]

I thought it was 1000 posts? And I hope you don't mean votes, because we don't even have 500 members ;)

I think role-playing threads should be ok in the 'Boardanian Role Play Group' Board. Even if they aren't started by Garner :p

I also think that each member should post after the FAQ, something like, "I, Kat in the Hat, have read, fully understand, and agree to follow the guidelines listed here." That way, if someone goes beserker, we can say, well, yes, but you agreed. And also, it would make sure the newbits have read the FAQ, at least slightly.
  15. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Well, I think it took me 2 years to get 1000 votes, I think that is a bit much for some. I think 500 is a more achievable goal. It;s only for the a little tittle after all.

I think having everyone now sign the FAQ as a requirement is a good Idea. I'm not sure how pratical it will be for every simgle member. Perhaps having it sent out as in the registration e-mail that people have to reagree too.

I dunno, Mal whats the technecal side of this?

Also can we have drop down script?
  16. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:24dc114e9e="Kat_in_the_Hat"]
    I think role-playing threads should be ok in the 'Boardanian Role Play Group' Board. Even if they aren't started by Garner :p[/quote:24dc114e9e]

Might wanna rethink that one, bucko.
  17. chrisjordan New Member

Could you be more specific about 'role-playing threads'? You mean threads based on proper roleplaying games played by board members, or slapstick *whacks Bob* stuff?

The 'Boardanian Role Play Group' board should be for the Boardanian Role Play Group. That doesn't mean just for the people who are involved in the current campaign, because I think it's already been said somewhere that future games will be open to anyone in the community who wants to play. I think that forum should be for discussing or writing about the current BRPG campaign or planning/suggesting stuff for future BRPG campaigns.

However, I don't think that it should be filled with threads where someone has decided it would be fun to start a roleplay where someone writes a bit with their character, and then someone writes another bit with their character and so on. I think roleplaying like that should be elsewhere. Maybe in a forum of its own (because I'm personally not to keen on having numerous threads like that in the Boardania forum)?
  18. Tabatha New Member

:? I would love to be able to comment on the FAQ Buzzfloyd posted at the start but as a newbit 90% of the post went right over my head.

Freya you are most kind it is great to hear that I am not the only person to take awhile to understand, if there is a place newbits can go to learn the ropes feel free to point me in the right direction.

As a newbit who really wants to be able to fit in with the community if I make a mistake I would prefer to be corrected than left in ignorence of my blunders.

Tabatha.

(If at first you don't succeed try try again)
  19. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*shrug* If you're THAT keen, and have about a week with nothing better to do, you could go check out the old site and trowel through the wasteland that is our old archives.

In a nutshell, however: After years of community growth and learning, we're at a point where we need to revise and update our 'code of conduct', 'guidelines', or '101 reasons why you should give garner your money'... whatever we decide to call it.

For right now, just be a decent human being and you should do alright. Once we've got the new 'guidelines/faq/commandments' thingiebob written, your opinion on it, as a newbie, will be much appreciated.
  20. Garner Great God and Founding Father

You know, following on from that, an idea occurs to me... When Fatman showed up on the old site, he was full of very insistant suggestions for how we ought to behave that were clearly NOT in line with what the community wanted, and as it turned out, Fatman was only there to cause trouble anyway.

I wonder if the guidelines/FAQ should also be considered a bit of an advertisement/Public Relations piece for the community.

sort of, 'If you don't like what you see here, you MIGHT want to move along'?
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:8b6db4e024="chrisjordan"][quote:8b6db4e024="Kat_in_the_Hat"]
    I think role-playing threads should be ok in the 'Boardanian Role Play Group' Board. Even if they aren't started by Garner :p[/quote:8b6db4e024]

Could you be more specific about 'role-playing threads'? You mean threads based on proper roleplaying games played by board members, or slapstick *whacks Bob* stuff?

The 'Boardanian Role Play Group' board should be for the Boardanian Role Play Group. That doesn't mean just for the people who are involved in the current campaign, because I think it's already been said somewhere that future games will be open to anyone in the community who wants to play. I think that forum should be for discussing or writing about the current BRPG campaign or planning/suggesting stuff for future BRPG campaigns.

However, I don't think that it should be filled with threads where someone has decided it would be fun to start a roleplay where someone writes a bit with their character, and then someone writes another bit with [i:8b6db4e024]their[/i:8b6db4e024] character and so on. I think roleplaying like that should be elsewhere. Maybe in a forum of its own (because I'm personally not to keen on having numerous threads like that in the Boardania forum)?[/quote:8b6db4e024]

You know, I found that original comment to be quite snarky. If anyone's got any problem with me having started a role play group, I'd like to know WHY? And let's not hear any more of that "Only people Garner invites" bollocks, because it's patently not true.

Now, I don't like the kind of message board role playing that chris described. We've tried it in the past before, and it doesn't often work very well with us. There are other sites that do it better and where the entire community is built around it. Buzzfloyd used to post on a Discworld role playing site, and it used to be pretty good until the intellectual average on the site nosedived with an influx of bad role players. Ba is part of a couple of other communities where they do super hero and other role playing games.

I have no problem with this sort of thing existing on our forums, provided its confined to specific threads, does not spill over onto other threads, and hopefully doesn't showcase anyone's emotional problems, like we saw with a certan lycanthropic disaster a while back.

Personally, I don't want it cluttering up "my" role play group forum, but I wouldn't object (much) if it were in a sub forum.

Since these things aren't very common, i don't think they'd clutter up the "Boardania" forum, and that's where they'd have gone on the old site.
  22. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:53ba2e9f90="Garner"]You know, I found that original comment to be quite snarky. If anyone's got any problem with me having started a role play group, I'd like to know WHY? And let's not hear any more of that "Only people Garner invites" bollocks, because it's patently not true.

Now, I don't like the kind of message board role playing that chris described. We've tried it in the past before, and it doesn't often work very well with us. There are other sites that do it better and where the entire community is built around it. Buzzfloyd used to post on a Discworld role playing site, and it used to be pretty good until the intellectual average on the site nosedived with an influx of bad role players. Ba is part of a couple of other communities where they do super hero and other role playing games.

I have no problem with this sort of thing existing on our forums, provided its confined to specific threads, does not spill over onto other threads, and hopefully doesn't showcase anyone's emotional problems, like we saw with a certan lycanthropic disaster a while back.

Personally, I don't want it cluttering up "my" role play group forum, but I wouldn't object (much) if it were in a sub forum.

Since these things aren't very common, i don't think they'd clutter up the "Boardania" forum, and that's where they'd have gone on the old site.[/quote:53ba2e9f90]

I agree with that.

Oh, and speaking of the werewolf game, did anyone notice Doors got away with not completing the last one? :p
  23. Ba Lord of the Pies

So long as there are no more than, say, four active roleplaying threads at any one time, putting them in Boardania should be fine. When the number reaches five, then thought should go into giving them their own forum.
  24. Hermia New Member

On the whole, I think the FAQ are (is?) very well thought out, and should nip a lot of potential future arguments in the bud. Also, as a newbie, a code of conduct like this makes the board more attractive to me, because I can see straight off that if I post here I shouldn't have to deal with too many morons, or at least not for long!

I also agree with points already made about role playing and hijacking. I post on another board with similar rules, which are taken very seriously. When a thread is hijacked, it is often instantly locked. In my opinion this is taking it too far, as it can be both frustrating and insulting to be prevented from continuing a conversation; making a separate thread is a much better idea.

Regarding changing avatars and sigs if asked - I don't know if this is just the way it was temporarily phrased, or me being too picky, but I think it should be made clear that a moderator has to do the asking, or there may be some annoying person who decides to cause trouble in this area.
  25. Garner Great God and Founding Father

ehhh. there's plenty of folks who'll take extreme afront to being asked by THIS moderator to do any damn thing.

i don't think that a moderator is supposed to carry any extra authority *because* they are a moderator, and there are plenty of people who are vital to the community that aren't mods, yet who should be listened to just as intently.

If rinso says "That avatar is (annoying/offensive/actually my mother, how did you get it), so please change it", it should be just as serrious and meaningful if Mynona says "That avatar is ... "

but of course, mynona is having internet troubles lately, and can't stay on long enough to finish a single post!
  26. Marcia Executive Onion

I think a request to change an avatar/signature doesn't necessarily have to be made by a moderator, but the request should be made by more than one person, just in case the requestor has extremely puritanical views that don't reflect the majority of the community, or the requestor is just trying to cause trouble by asking people to change their avatars/signatures for no legitimate reason.

There has to be evidence that the avatar/sig is really annoying or offensive to more than just one person.
  27. Saccharissa Stitcher

[quote:0cbda8ebcd="Rincewind"]Be honest
    [b:0cbda8ebcd]Use proper English [/b:0cbda8ebcd]
    Maybe add no l33t or net abbrieations. In the explanation –(can we have expandable/flip down stuff,mal?)- we should mention that many of us are foreign or Dystarded and do not understand what many of these things mean.
    [/quote:0cbda8ebcd]

I think the wording in that still needs tweaking. It may give potential new members who do not speak english as a first language a completely wrong idea.

How about "Do not use l33t, net abbreviations or chat speak; not every member here comes from an english-speaking country"?
  28. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

OK, evidently my first clarification did not make things clear enough. My post was not intended to be anything like the final wording of the FAQ. I tried to list the rules we already had as succinctly as possible, knowing that you guys would all know what we mean by 'Use proper English'; we could then spell it out more fully in the first draft of the FAQ proper, assuming you approved of the rule, which you already have a full grasp of.

So, by "Use proper English", I meant all the things that have been suggested, and I knew that you would know what those things were, and I assumed you knew that I was implying all those things in my [b:4764503046]brief summary[/b:4764503046].

Wording is not what we're quibbling over here. We need to sort out if we want an actual rule about each item. We will sort out the wording in the next go-round.

If all the things on the list are OK to be included in a rule in some shape or form, great. I will write up a more complete version, and [i:4764503046]then[/i:4764503046] we'll pick at the wording. But if you have a problem with something being on the list at all (or not being), please say so now.
  29. mowgli New Member

I like the idea of specifically Terry Pratchett FAQ to which we can direct newbits who ask "obvious" question.

This way they can be assisted outside quickly and quietly, before bottles and chairs start flying.

If it needs to be written, I volunteer to do so.

The rest of the rules sound good. :)

P.S. I understand no flirting on Message Boards - is it okay to add "if you must, use chat rooms"?
  30. Garner Great God and Founding Father

how about, "if you must, use chat rooms, but not the ones on this site. go somewhere else. like IRC, or preferably the 9th circle of hell"
  31. Kat_in_the_Hat New Member

[quote:c4ddf8db9a="Garner"][quote:c4ddf8db9a="chrisjordan"][quote:c4ddf8db9a="Kat_in_the_Hat"]
    I think role-playing threads should be ok in the 'Boardanian Role Play Group' Board. Even if they aren't started by Garner :p[/quote:c4ddf8db9a]

However, I don't think that it should be filled with threads where someone has decided it would be fun to start a roleplay where someone writes a bit with their character, and then someone writes another bit with [i:c4ddf8db9a]their[/i:c4ddf8db9a] character and so on. I think roleplaying like that should be elsewhere. Maybe in a forum of its own (because I'm personally not to keen on having numerous threads like that in the Boardania forum)?[/quote:c4ddf8db9a]

You know, I found that original comment to be quite snarky. If anyone's got any problem with me having started a role play group, I'd like to know WHY? And let's not hear any more of that "Only people Garner invites" bollocks, because it's patently not true.

Since these things aren't very common, i don't think they'd clutter up the "Boardania" forum, and that's where they'd have gone on the old site.[/quote:c4ddf8db9a]

I didn't mean to be snarky. And I don't have a problem with you starting a role playing group. If it sounded that way, then my apologies for not explaining myself.

I also don't have a problem with anyone starting a roleplaying thread, whether its to write in a story-like fashion, personal character development, or random weirdness. (Whacking Bob, however, is shameful.)

I wouldn't even have a problem with saying, only Discworld/Boardania-related roleplays.

I do, however, have a problem with a role-play group, however official it may be, claiming rights to be the [i:c4ddf8db9a]only[/i:c4ddf8db9a] one allowed. And saying, in the FAQ, no roleplaying allowed, when there is a role-playing group alive and kicking. And that particular group was started by Garner and therefore, is above reproof, which is fine and great and whatnot. But that doesn't mean that any other people who would like to roleplay but aren't interested in the particular group that already exists (ok, and maybe I'm the only one) should be kicked out of the show.

Now I don't think that roleplaying will be a big deal. But I do think that banning something you don't like simply because you feel it is below your intelligence level is a big deal. If saying my roleplaying is ok but yours is stupid isn't snarky then I don't know what is. Especially when it's contained on one thread that you don't even have to look at if you don't want to.

P.S. snarky apparently means [i:c4ddf8db9a]Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.[/i:c4ddf8db9a], according to dictionary.com. I feel this is misused. Sarcastic, yes. Angry...no. [/i]
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I can see your point, Kat, but you are talking as though roleplaying were banned outright. Now, the actual rule (which probably requires revision) is: [i:de3a4024ab]No roleplaying/ pool parties etc, except where confined to one thread.[/i:de3a4024ab]

We have never said roleplaying shouldn't happen, only that it should be kept confined, so that those who are not interested don't have to look at it. On the old boards, the BRPG was all in one thread; here we can make forums to confine things, which is great, and should be considered in this rule. Now, we might want to say that we should have a roleplaying forum and make the current BRPG forum a sub-forum within it. We could then put all RP threads in there.

Any thoughts? Or should this go in a separate thread?
  33. Maljonic Administrator

I think there's a bit of confusion between role playing as is in RPGs (no, not rocket propelled grenades), Dungeons and Dragons and such, and larking about playing a role, as in pool party threads where we pretend to hit each other over the head and carry on a story as if we were all in a particular place that we invent as we go along.

Now I know they both sound very similar, but the first one is organised, with depth and background and a plot; the second one is just made up as we go along, no rules of play or anything like that - just messing around.

I think we need to reword it so there is no confusion, stop calling the second one roll playing all together. I also think we should make a silly forum for this, e.g. The Looney Bin, and say something along the lines of: If you must post email jokes or act out silly scenarios, please could you do it in The Looney Bin (or whatever). It doesn't have to be harsh, we can also move threads into this place that turn into this type of thread - I imagine badgers and moneys may be fairly prominent in there. :)
  34. Freya New Member

[quote:8514d2dcff="Maljonic"] [snip]....as in pool party threads where we pretend to hit each other over the head and carry on a story as if we were all in a particular place that we invent as we go along....[snip][/quote:8514d2dcff]

Thank you Mal! Now I'm off to do more research on the Thunderspork. :D

May I also make a suggestion about the "joke" area? What about The Fools' Guild instead of Looney Bin? Whatever it's called, I think it's a good idea to have a seperate area to keep the email jokes and Pool Parties (now I know what they are).

Lastly, going back to the FAQ suggestions, I know it's early days and certainly not something that needs to be put into place now but ....... What do the Elders think about the Babelfish-type thread/post for Newbies? I know that one was created on the old board and I think that it was felt to be a good idea. Unfortunately, the Elders had to correct a lot of it as it had been created by a Newbit for Newbits.
    [size=9:8514d2dcff][i:8514d2dcff]
    EDIT: grammar[/i:8514d2dcff][/size:8514d2dcff]
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I must confess, I don't know what you're talking about, Freya. What's a Babelfish thread?
  36. Maljonic Administrator

Babelfish is a language translator on the internet, and a translating fish in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy.

Freya means to make a page to translate all our terms into plain English, such as Pool Parties, Boardania, Tripod et cetera...

I think it's a good idea, but I also think it would be a good idea to make our FAQ understandable to anyone right away, without the need for a Babelfish. :)
  37. Garner Great God and Founding Father

For the record, the rule about no roleplaying stems from the rule about not posting in character.

I'll spare the history lessons about what happened on the old site, but the rule originally pertained to 1) role playing on the boards, particularly rampant 'pool party' claptrap, 2) role playing as copyrighted discworld characters.

History lessons aside, it is worth mentioning that during the compromise that confined the roleplaying to one or two threads, only a small percentage of the community at the time participated in it, and virtually all of those who did would later become known as the 'Axis Posters'.

So, another reason to be wary of roleplaying is that it's always been favored by trolls or people who would become trolls.
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:79a7458d18="Maljonic"]Babelfish is a language translator on the internet, and a translating fish in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy.

Freya means to make a page to translate all our terms into plain English, such as Pool Parties, Boardania, Tripod et cetera...

I think it's a good idea, but I also think it would be a good idea to make our FAQ understandable to anyone right away, without the need for a Babelfish. :)[/quote:79a7458d18]
    Thanks, Mal. I knew what a Babelfish was, but didn't understand what Freya meant by it. I also think that if those terms are to be used in the FAQ, they should be defined there. However, if they are not used, it would make sense to include a glossary of common Boardanian terms.
  39. Freya New Member

[quote:26f7b6d1e7="Buzzfloyd"][quote:26f7b6d1e7="Maljonic"]Babelfish is a language translator on the internet, and a translating fish in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy.

I think it's a good idea, but I also think it would be a good idea to make our FAQ understandable to anyone right away, without the need for a Babelfish. :)[/quote:26f7b6d1e7]
    Thanks, Mal. I knew what a Babelfish was, but didn't understand what Freya meant by it. I also think that if those terms are to be used in the FAQ, they should be defined there. However, if they are not used, it would make sense to include a glossary of common Boardanian terms.[/quote:26f7b6d1e7]

My thanks, Mal, for explaining my post so succinctly in my absence. That is exactly what I meant but I didn't make myself clear. My apologies to Buzzfloyd. I look forward to reading the Glossary in due course. :)
  40. Hermia New Member

I don't meant to labour a point, but I'm racing to catch up with 3 days of posts here...

[quote:899461012f="Garner"]i don't think that a moderator is supposed to carry any extra authority *because* they are a moderator, and there are plenty of people who are vital to the community that aren't mods, yet who should be listened to just as intently.
    [/quote:899461012f]

I never meant that mods should be the only ones with opinions. I just meant that if one of us mere mortals was to make a decision which affects someone else, it would be best to go through a mod, or at least make sure we have some support. I think you should beware of having a rule which blatantly hands out authority to anyone who wishes to grab it!
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

The thing is that the mods are also mere mortals. We never had moderators before, and it's been important to us that, now we have them, they are the servants of the community rather than the rulers of it; in other words, the mods do what the community wants rather than vice versa.

So, in other words, everyone [i:dd234ddc29]does[/i:dd234ddc29] have the authority.
  42. Marcia Executive Onion

I agree with the suggestion of a joke area. This community has always had an ambiguous attitude about pool parties, email jokes, etc. with some people saying they're not allowed, and others saying that people should be able to enjoy themselves, and those that don't want to read them can just avoid them. This has led to arguments.

With a joke thread, people who want to will have the opportunity to post in them, and others will have an easier time avoiding them.

I have been on other message boards that are full of email jokes mixed up in the general discussions forum. It is particulary annoying when the title of the thread makes it look like someone is discussing an interesting topic, but when you bring up the thread it's just an old email joke that you read 3 years ago.
  43. Maljonic Administrator

Should we have a Fools' Guild then, or should we have a vote on the name?

it could read something like:

[quote:93556f102d][b:93556f102d]The Fools' Guild[/b:93556f102d]
    For all topics way too silly to be in the Boardania general discussion section, such as larking about posting as a character and pretending to hit each other, email jokes and utter nonesense.[/quote:93556f102d]

P.S. It could go directly under the Boardania section, to show it's kind of loosely connected and not to associate it with the proper roll playing section further down?
  44. Saccharissa Stitcher

I like the name Mal. :)
  45. Garner Great God and Founding Father

it is the only name that is appropriate. let it be done so.
  46. Ba Lord of the Pies

So it is written, so let it be done.
  47. Maljonic Administrator

48. mowgli New Member

Is this where I go to smack people for making bad puns?
  49. Maljonic Administrator

I think you can do that anywhere you like, it's just when there's a whole thread of people slapping each other for no other reason than to slap each other - like those three guys on that old TV show - that we need to have it in the Fools' Guild. :)
  50. Hsing Moderator

I had to reread the thread, and I wish I had to add more... Not yet though. I only thought, at reading Buzzfloyds first draft (pg 1) that one thing that I liked about it was that it was really short and succinct. If it remains like this, or is written in that style, it could not only be set up as a guideline, maybe it could be made the sort of thing you have to read and agree to in the process of registering, as it is the case on many message boards.

Edit: spelling
  51. mowgli New Member

...Just thought of something...

Anyone wants to add another question to the "welcome, Newbits" questionairre? I'm getting REALLY curious about how they found out about this site, since I figure the whole exodus thingie is getting progressively buried among the threads of the old Board...
  52. Roman_K New Member

Go to google.

Type 'pratchett board'.

Search.

Note the thread on the old board it finds.
  53. Freya New Member

That's my thread! Whoop Whoop! I'm famous!! ...and I thought that it would be lost to obscurity!

Sorry about that. Juvenile excitement over and done with. *Straightens clothes, smooths hair and removes exclamation mark from keyboard.*

I think Mowgli's idea is a damn fine one. They can't all be coming from the old Board and it would be interesting to know how they found us.
  54. Maljonic Administrator

55. Roman_K New Member

I'm liking this so far. If we can truly win on Google, though, the rest will be history.
  56. Freya New Member

So how does this come about? Is it simply that many people have linked us from their own websites? ......or does the Board have a fan in the Search Engine business?
  57. Roman_K New Member

[quote:afe93da3a6="Freya"]So how does this come about? Is it simply that many people have linked us from their own websites? ......or does the Board have a fan in the Search Engine business?[/quote:afe93da3a6]

Let us hope it is both.
  58. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Where are we on the actuall completion of the FAQ. It's everyone happy with the points Grace has raised. Should we be moving on to getting a more finshed verision?
  59. Roman_K New Member

I am happy with the points raised. Let it move on!
  60. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:2a65c08115="Freya"]So how does this come about? Is it simply that many people have linked us from their own websites? ......or does the Board have a fan in the Search Engine business?[/quote:2a65c08115]It doesn't happen by accident; I've done loads of things to get us up there, including swapping links with other websites.

Also I agree, we should move forward with our FAQs/code of conduct. :)