Entertainment - What are you watching these days?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Hsing Moderator

There was a similar thread once, but it disappeared into the archives long ago.

Which movies did you watch recently - or which TV series - or web series (anything similar)? Did you enjoy it, why, why not? Slight digressions when discussing the quality of a program or movie are welcomed in this thread.

(To start with something, I watched "Waltz with Bashir" and "District 9" recently. Both are highly recommendable and not comparable movies I'd say, albeit for totally different reasons. I have to think a bit more about how to express why I think so, though.)
  2. Tephlon Active Member

I just watched the first episode of V 2009. Nice. Intriguing.

Favorite shows right now: "How I Met Your Mother" (although I think they're dragging it out a bit, into season 5....) and "The Big Bang Theory".

BBT is probably the best written show on TV right now. So far I haven't really caught them making a "wrong" reference. Seeing that it relates to "my world", especially in popculture, with comicbooks, roleplaying games etc. that's pretty impressive.
  3. spiky Bar Wench

I'm getting into Starget Universe... Thought it started slow after the first episode but the last couple have been really good.

Also season 2 of Sanctuary kicks it all over season 1...
  4. Maljonic Administrator

Season 3 of Heroes, and all of The Mighty Boosh.
  5. Tephlon Active Member

I've, ehm... "acquired" Stargate Universe's first 2 episodes. I'm watching them later this week.
  6. randywine Member

SU.

I have watched the first 2, the rest await on my Sky+.

Begbie in space. Heh heh.

R.
  7. spiky Bar Wench

Hell universe is a conglomerate of ideas from any number of other sci-fi sources... it would be a great drinking game of spot/shot the reference.
  8. Hsing Moderator

See... I don't know any of these at all! I am so behind. But so is the country I watch TV in, in terms of TV series, that is.
  9. spiky Bar Wench

Well thats because they insist on dubbing everything... if they just did the quick thing of putting in badly worded subtitles you wouldn't be so behind.

I still can't get over what Scully from X-Files sounded like in German. Honestly was that supposed to be a sexy female German voice?
  10. Hsing Moderator

A bit too low keyed for such a small woman, and not particularly sexy, but rather factual and matter-of-fact (or that's what it was supposed to sound like). I guess it feels different when you're simply used to it, although I agree they should just sub the TV series unless they're for an audience that can't read. Plus, of course all foreign languages sound a bit funny to people when they suddenly come from "native" faces.
  11. spiky Bar Wench

True but Scully sounded like a man. When did that get sexy?
  12. Hsing Moderator

Did she? Now that may even be German - I've never heard it that way.
    Go to YouTube - Tatort Münster -- Feueralarm , listen to the woman from 0.46 on - that's a deep voice for a woman! Scully always sounded slightly husky for 1.55 m Anders, but not male-ish. :wink:
  13. mazekin Member

I love watching programs that you love that have been dubbed into a foreign language though. I know that the first time I watched a dubbed episode of JAG with my brother, he ended up falling off his seat laughing at the voice they put on one of the charachters - the original voice was very light and feminine, but the spanish actress *almost* sounded like a man.

I just can't take them seriously and usually end up making up my own dialogue in my head - which is a lot of fun if there's two people doing it...I've ruined enough Westerns and WWII movies for my dad doing that with my brother on sunday afternoons :)
  14. Faerie New Member

I've started reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind so I decided to try out the Legend of the Seeker TV series on Netflix. It's very rare that the TV series follows the books at all but I still like it.