Call of Cthulhu

Discussion in 'BOARDANIAN ROLEPLAY GROUP' started by Garner, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

dunno if anyone else here has played the CoC role playing game, but it has some lovely qualities to it. there was recently a D&D suppliment aimed at the same genre of horror role playing, but set in a more classical D&D setting.

would anyone be up for attempting a board version of either of these, or do ya'll feel it'd be stepping on the toes of things like the werewolf game?
  2. edster New Member

i think its a good idea. and if you going to do it can i join?
  3. Hsing Moderator

I'd be interesting to watch this, but can't promise I'd take part due to my restricted free time... :(
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

if we do it, participation's open to anyone who wants to participate.

as for free time restricting participation...

i dunno, what would you feel is best for a horror game? time to set an evocative atmosphere and to worry about what's going to happen next, or a fast sudden pace that doesn't give you time to catch your breath?

note that the second option is pretty much impossible online.
  5. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba would like to remind everyone who knows about this game: 1d6 investigators per round. This game needs to be played.
  6. Roman_K New Member

After over a month of preparations and poring over the Call of Cthulhu sourcebook, I feel comfortable enough to attempt running such a game, should enough people be interested in playing.

This will be a learning experience in part, as I doubt many here are familiar with the Cthulhu game system, so we will be playing short and relatively simple scenarios rather than a lengthy campaign. We will be playing on the boards, by the way, as I think that would be best for handling players from multiple time zones, with different daily routines etc.

Anyone interested should contact me via this thread, email (romankalik AT gmail DOT com) or MSN (kalik AT bgumail DOT bgu DOT ac DOT il), and we'll take it from there. I'll start looking for a character creation guide in the next few days. If unavailable, I will scan the relevant "must-read" pages from the main book, as well as possible background information on the 1920's (the game period of my chosen scenarios). Those unfamiliar with the Lovecraftian horror stories will have an obligatory three stories to read (all available online).

Feel free to ask questions at any time. Also, before joining the game, please consider if you are able to post twice a week. Too much time without posting may result in a grisly death for your character, purely for story purposes you understand. ;-)
  7. Hex New Member

Since I'm done with finals on Wednesday and I've never played a CofC campaign before, if it's a learning campaign, count me in. Looks like I have to re-read my Lovecraft! Yay!
  8. Roman_K New Member

Excellent, that's one.Two more and we'll start preparations for the game.

For the moment, the suggested stories by Lovecraft are the following:

The Call of Cthulhu - Wikisource
    At the Mountains of Madness - Wikisource
    The Dunwich Horror - Wikisource

These aren't the shortest of stories, I'll admit, but these are also some of the best available. The Call of Cthulhu is the real must-read of the three before the game, but it would be best if players read all three if they have never read anything of Lovecraft's in the past.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Garner and I are both in (Garner on the proviso that he can see the GM get eaten by a horrible creature from beyond), and we've both played a couple of CoC adventures before.

Garner also says he may have the relevant character creation material scanned, and he'll go check after Roman's already done it.
  10. Roman_K New Member

Oh, do you guys own the 6th Ed. Call of Cthulhu book, that Garner promises to (not) scan stuff from it? ;-)

I'll have character creation material available by tomorrow evening, unless something unexpected occurs. Also, Grace and Garner, as you've both played Call of Cthulhu in the past, I'd like you to email me regarding any official game scenarios that you're familiar with (if any).

Also, Garner should know all too well that Keepers don't get devoured by monstrous tentacle things. That's what investigators are for.
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'll ask him to find out what we have and haven't and let you know asap.
  12. Roman_K New Member

Just to clarify (because I know that with me, clarifications are a must), what I want to know from you guys is what scenarios you may have played already (or read through) so that we won't repeat that in the game.
  13. randywine Member

Way back in the happy days of the mid-eighties I played many a game of CoC and at the time I read everything I could get my hands on by ol' H.P. I was chased by many a deep one (I think they were called), there was no cultist safe from my rigorous investigatory skills and I think I visited every library in Boston before going temporarily insane and developing some of the stranger phobias (I hate it when that happens).

(At this point one must wave fingers in front of mouth to emulate facial tentacles and say 'Wibble'.)

I discovered Rock music, Beer and Girls (in that order) so that put paid to the Shuggoth-hunt.

I would love to take part.

Any scenarios that I played were about 22 years ago and the only one I really remember was a strange 'Cthulhu in space' job, which was a kind of CoC / Travelers amalgam (with a bit of an Alien rip-off spliced in).

Cheers

R.
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

We have edition 5.6 of the rules. I have no idea which scenarios we've done, but Garner will be in touch once he's managed to find out.
  15. Roman_K New Member

The differences between 5.6 and 6 are not numerous, but there enough of them for me to prefer to handle any previous edition material in a very selective manner.

Still compiling a basic rules document. May take longer than expected, and it may take until the end of the week, when I'll have a couple of days off in which to compile all relevant material.
  16. Roman_K New Member

Incidentally, we have room for up to five players, which I view as the optimal number for most scenarios I've browsed through so far. Any more would simply be a crowd, so as four people have already stated that they're interested in playing, we have room for one more potential player at the moment.
  17. Garner Great God and Founding Father

That Cthulu/Traveler amalgamation sounds... hmm. I can definately see it having an 'Alien' feel to it (i always felt Alien was far scarier than Aliens. never saw the third one, and 'resurrection' was shit). I never really got into Traveler. Must check up on it some time and see what the latest version is.

Romano, tried to touch base with ya last night, but you didn't answer the IM before i got bored. Gonna private message you with some rough details on what we've played before, as I don't know the name of the adventures.
  18. Roman_K New Member

There's a futuristic version of CoC around, I think, though I didn't look into it much.

PM received safely, Clay, and there shouldn't be a problem with what you've played in the past.
  19. Roman_K New Member

Grace, Garner, Hex, and randywine, I've PMed you some important material. A basic rules guide will also be posted soon in a separate topic.
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Just got back from holiday last night, have downloaded stuff and will catch up asap!
  21. Roman_K New Member

Randywine has informed me that he will be unable to play. That means we have one more position available for the game, should anyone be interested, and another position is currently reserved for Mynona.
  22. Roman_K New Member

Two characters are mostly complete, so kudos to Grace and Garner. The other two, I must note, haven't yet entered the phase of rolling the characteristics. As such, I have decided that the game will begin in two weeks' time. Anyone whose character isn't finished by then, will have to wait until the current scenario is complete.
  23. Roman_K New Member

Game postponed by (at least) a week.
  24. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sorry I haven't been around much. Let me know when we're due to start, Roman.
  25. Roman_K New Member

Should at least two players be ready, the game will start next week, around Friday.