Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Maljonic, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

There's more avatar galleries to choose from now for those who can't/don't want to upload a picture from somewhere else. :)
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Thanks, Mal. I still can't decide what avatar to use here.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

I made mine clearer than it is on the other boards, found the original picture. :)
  4. Delphine New Member

WOW. There's loads and loads! And loads! :shock:

They're great.

Oooh, and new smileys, I note. But we've still got the old faithful ---> :)
  5. Maljonic Administrator

Yea, I thought we might like to bring a couple of familiar smilies with us. :)
  6. spiky Bar Wench

Geez Mal, thats incredible...

Although, I'm going to stick to the one I have... its the only one that has the right level of pissed-offness for the 'spiky' label...
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well, I've kept my avatar from the other board, since I have a soft spot for him/her/it. I think it needs a name and a chagne of clothes though.
  8. Roman_K New Member

For the record, Grace is ill at the moment.
  9. Electric_Man Templar

Well done Spelling Bee

edit: gah! Roman, don't give her an excuse!
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

11. Mynona Member

What did I tell you? I am contagious! :badgrin:
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I blame my sinuses, swelling up and pressing against my brain. To be fair though, remember that there is a difference between a spelling error and a typo. The Ba makes typos, but he rarely makes spelling errors (though I did not that in a bumped thread on the old board, he consistently misspelled 'consistantly'). Likewise here.
  13. Roman_K New Member

I'm sorry, Grace, I really am. It's the nitpicker in me.
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Curse you, Roman! Right, that's it. Every time you make a typo in future, I will pick it out!
  15. Roman_K New Member

Not a problem. ;)
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Be fair to me! I am not one of those who normally picks on typos. Typos happen. It's errors of English that I correct. Although I have despaired of Rinso every remembering to write 'could have' instead of 'could of'.
  17. Roman_K New Member

I will try, I will try. Sometimes it's difficult to resist, though.
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I am exacting my Scorpionic revenge. As Brad once said to Ivan, "Don't mess with me again!" ;)
  19. Roman_K New Member

Grace, you realize that your revenge does little beyond improving my English, right?
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Only in the case of English corrections, not in the case of typos. It also demonstrates what I normally refrain from doing. :) The moral of the story is, "Be nice to Buzzfloyd, or else she will totally overreact." :roll:
  21. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeah, Explain to me why that is wrong again?
  22. Ba Lord of the Pies

It destroys the very fabric of the English language, that's what's wrong with it!
  23. Tabatha New Member

Hi Buzzfloyd

Begin ing to feel I am walking around the garden at unseen uni with boards here and borders there. They call this surfing heck it's more like drowning to me and can't even say its with style.

Who said we can't fit a square peg in a round hole just takes a bit of time and a sander.

Tabatha ;)
  24. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It's simply incorrect. Did anyone notice my ironic typo in the sentences Rinso posted above?

Edit to clarify: The mistake is made because 'of' sounds like 'have', or the more common abbreviation, ''ve'. But it's no more correct than replacing any other word with a soundalike. Saying "I invoiced your aunt for tea" is not the same as saying "I invited your aunt for tea", even though they sound similar, although there is an added humour value, since invoicing your aunt does at least have an actual meaning, even though it's the wrong one. However, 'could of' carries no meaning, humorous or otherwise. It's a malapropism, but with none of the humour and only the error.

Tabatha, hello! I wasn't sure if you'd made it over here. I just sent you a PM on the other board to make sure you knew we'd moved.
  25. Tabatha New Member

Thank's for whatever a pm is, just seen a little area that I could click on and here I was needed outside assistance to work out how to do a new board but I will get better.

Only second day so really still at nappy stage incase of odd accident.

Tabatha
  26. colonesque10 New Member

Was it that you missed 'time' off the end of every in the last sentance Grace, and if so what rewards do I get for spotting it? :)
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Actually, I mistyped 'ever' as 'every'; the fingers go onto automatic pilot, and make me look very silly.
  28. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I spotted it, but I'm very slow, and working.

I was wondering why you kept correcting Roman in the other threads, I thought he was going to have a go at you sooner or later, but he kept taking it all with good grace and saying thank you and crap. I was very confused.
  29. colonesque10 New Member

Now I look silly for getting the spot wrong...er...I mean I knew it was what you said really but I was trying to delve deeper into it like doctors do when you've really only got piles. I was trying to discover a deeper hidden secret involving an alien conspiracy or maybe mountain people. :)
  30. spiky Bar Wench

Best word ever... and thoroughly underused, say I. We should make the effort to use the word malapropism more often... Although now that I think about it, I can't think of a sentence that would use the word correctly....

"The misuse of the udder was a dire malapropism" just doesn't sound right, somehow...
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Don't worry, Spiky, with the Doormen about, we should have ample opportunities!

I had to study The Rivals at school, the Sheridan play which features Mrs Malaprop. She was the best thing about it.
  32. fairyliquid New Member

i had to look up malapropism :oops: lovely word!
  33. Wizzard New Member

Bah..I want a avatar of Rincewind...but they dont prtray him like he should be. Hes supposed to be skinny (gangley) and have a scraggley pointine in off directions wanna be beard....and his clothes are supposed to be tattered..and his hat droops/doesnt fit right. All the newer pictures I find make him look too good. And clean, for that matter.

Any help here?
  34. fairyliquid New Member

35. Maljonic Administrator

You could draw your own? :)
  36. Rincewind Number One Doorman

You could maybe get paul kidby picture-who does good rinceiwnds, and make it avatar size?