At last someone to hug Rinso...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by spiky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. spiky Bar Wench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I'm just going with the theme here, but this did give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling on a crap day. And I think everyone should have something to smile about when I'm feeling crap.
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wow, thanks spiky, that was just what I needed... it is indeed an inspiring story, and the can of thing that makes you want to trust humanity again... not that that is exactly a smart thing to do :D
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That was kind of cool. :)
  4. peapod_j New Member

it was lovely made me smille. the person who was holding the sing at first remined me ove my older brother when he had long hair. but that made me smille. every one needs a hug onece in a while.
  5. redneck New Member

I have a friend, Big Dan, that purportedly gives the best hugs in the world. Some of the people that claim this are actually world travelers, so therefore one can only assume that he does give the best hugs in the world. I do know that he has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met.

I really liked the video, but it was kinda creepy at the same time.
  6. Maljonic Administrator

That's ace, made me smile. I like the way it changes to colour when the hugs start. Is it in Australia, those cops look Australian?
  7. spiky Bar Wench

Yes it is Australia. Its mainly the Pitt St Mall in Sydney, with a couple of shots in Martin Place and Circular Quay Sydney too... Apparently someone on the web thought it was Baltimore... Does Baltimore have a harbour?

Edit to add: This guy is actually for real and has been hugging people in Pitt St Mall, mostly on a Thursday for a few years now. It can't be busking because they're free but Sydney does have its oddbods.

When I lived there, there was this big African looking bloke who used to wear a lycra body suit with lights on, that would jog up and down George St (the main street in Sydney, think 1st Ave or something) with these weird shoes which had soles of two curved bits of plastic (leaf shaped) that would act as a spring as he ran. So the picture is of a big black dude in lycra boing down the street. Compared to that free hugs looks normal.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:7f80edc25f="spiky"]Edit to add: This guy is actually for real and has been hugging people in Pitt St Mall, mostly on a Thursday for a few years now. It can't be busking because they're free but Sydney does have its oddbods.[/quote:7f80edc25f]

This may sound stupid - although hey, it's coming from me - but... why not ? I mean why not hug people more ? Maybe this could save the world, hugging people !! Cuddle Parties are spreading throughout the world, hugging makes you feel good. (I do mean [i:7f80edc25f]hugging[/i:7f80edc25f], not groping, humping or fondling...) Ok, so as long as it isn't someone who smells really bad or has unethical intentions, a hug, even hugging a stranger, doesn't cost anything, and it makes everyone feel good, even watching people spontaneously hugging brings a smile to people's faces. I'm sure a good hug could help a lot of people who lack self confidence, or are depressed, people should hug more. End of rant... **passes hat round**
  9. Hsing Moderator

Spiky, that's a really nice streak. Most people go for "And I think everyone should have something to feel crap about when I'm feeling crap.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Katcal, I'm with you on that (though with natural reservations!). I think it's fairly well documented now that being touched boosts our immune systems and therefore our overall well being. I don't really know why though.

Nate, yet another reason to come back to the South, if only Garner would let me! I think it often feels nice being hugged by someone big and strong because it's reminiscent of being hugged as a child by a parent. My dad gives great hugs. So does Garner, but he can be somewhat unpredictable in terms of excess tickling, lifting, pushing over, scary faces, beard-fluffing and general distressing extras.
  11. Pixel New Member

Maybe it's just my love of old jokes, but my immediate thought on watching the video was "Who is this Hugs person? What has he/she done to be locked up and need freeing?" - it's a new variation on the "free" jokes - taking the slogan and adding to it or modifying it - the other two were on the lines of "Free the [insert name of group being supported with number in group] - with every packet of cornflakes" and "Free the Indianapolis 500".

:)
  12. Hsing Moderator

The elderly lady giving the first hug in the video is really sweet. There's something in her body language that says she thinks its a great idea what this guy does.

Germans are poor huggers. I mean, my own mother tends to greet me with a handshake.
  13. fairyliquid New Member

That was fantastic Spiky...really lifted my spirits...I needed it

*gives anyone who wants it a virtual hug*

It's a great I dea but wouldn't work in a lot of cultures.

I have a friend who loves hugging and its so nice whenever she is around because even if your remotely down-hearted she notices and comes up and gives you a hug. It's really nice to have someone say they care and try to make you feel a little better.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:76dc37af7c="Buzzfloyd"]Katcal, I'm with you on that (though with natural reservations!). I think it's fairly well documented now that being touched boosts our immune systems and therefore our overall well being. I don't really know why though.

Nate, yet another reason to come back to the South, if only Garner would let me! I think it often feels nice being hugged by someone big and strong because it's reminiscent of being hugged as a child by a parent. My dad gives great hugs. So does Garner, but he can be somewhat unpredictable in terms of excess tickling, lifting, pushing over, scary faces, beard-fluffing and general distressing extras.[/quote:76dc37af7c]

**shudders at the thought of Garner's hug extras, especially beard fluffing whatever that is**

Yeah, my Dad gives great hugs too. They are just rare enough to be appreciated, but not so much as to be longed for... My mum's hugs are greatly impaired by Tummy Colision Factor, which means we both have to lean forward to hug, and only get an upper-shoulders hug out of it. My hubby is slightly shorter and greatly thinner than me, but he still gives great hugs, extras are rare and never distressing... hmmm... Damn you people, now I want a hug. :(

Edited to add that due to fast reading I wondered for a few minutes why fairy wanted to get rid of a virtual hag...
  15. fairyliquid New Member

[quote:cabfbb05b6="Katcal"]
    Edited to add that due to fast reading I wondered for a few minutes why fairy wanted to get rid of a virtual hag...[/quote:cabfbb05b6]

Those virtual hags are a mighty nuisance. No one would really want to hug them...What use could they otherwise be?

edity to change wording
  16. Roman_K New Member

[quote:b26b9a91dd="spiky"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I'm just going with the theme here, but this did give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling on a crap day. And I think everyone should have something to smile about when I'm feeling crap.[/quote:b26b9a91dd]

I liked that video. It made me feel quite better today. Thanks, Spiky. :)
  17. Electric_Man Templar

*is incredibly bitter about this thread because youtube is blocked by work*
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Aww. ::hugs Ben::

The virtual hag made me laugh. :)
  19. Candeleena New Member

I once watched a music video with exactly the same theme in it: at first you see a guy apparently asking people in the street for something, and they all refuse. Then the music develops and we discover that what he asks them for is hugs. The song ends with lots of different people giving him hearty hugs. Also very uplifting but can't remember whose song it was
  20. Darkbane New Member

That man looks like an english teacher I had in highschool, mr. samirdjian (sp?).

I think its a great idea. why the hell not? far be it from me to turn down a free hug.
  21. I agree with Darkbane, free hugs are always good.

I'm a hugger; greetings, good-byes, someone is having a bad day, a great day, whatever. There is a hug for every occasion. (But no leaning unless you're Dave and/or Wendy ;) )

Thanks for sharing that, Spiky, and, if its not too forward, *hugs* :)
  22. Faerie New Member

I especially liked the great leaping hug.
  23. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:d0d94222be="spiky"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I'm just going with the theme here, but this did give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling on a crap day. And I think everyone should have something to smile about when I'm feeling crap.[/quote:d0d94222be]

A nice video. But Ba [i:d0d94222be]always[/i:d0d94222be] has something to smile about when Spiky's feeling crap.
  24. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:7f7439c158="Ba"][quote:7f7439c158="spiky"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I'm just going with the theme here, but this did give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling on a crap day. And I think everyone should have something to smile about when I'm feeling crap.[/quote:7f7439c158]

A nice video. But Ba [i:7f7439c158]always[/i:7f7439c158] has something to smile about when Spiky's feeling crap.[/quote:7f7439c158]

my first reaction was pffft. But its probably true...
  25. redneck New Member

If I was feeling crap, I'd be a little depressed too. First I would wash my hands and then I would get someone to clean up the crap. One shouldn't have to feel crap, especially at work (unless one works for the sanitation department, then it might be part of the job description). So Spiky, put the crap down, wash your hands, and enjoy the hell out of life. That way I won't have to enjoy life and can go about being grumpy all the time. I'll go ahead and start here.

*grumps*
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

I really shouldn't be laughing at this, but what the hell... :D
  27. Hex New Member

Awesome, awesome video.
    I just might have to try this, preferably next to the guy who tells us we're all going to hell outside the movie theater!
    I already have a sign outside my door in my Residence Hall: Free Hugs! Come in and get one!

So far, no takers, but it has only been fifteen minutes.
  28. Nester New Member

Spiffy video. I just know if I did something like that I'd be arrested in five minutes...
  29. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:98e014ef18="redneck"]If I was feeling crap, I'd be a little depressed too. First I would wash my hands and then I would get someone to clean up the crap. One shouldn't have to feel crap, especially at work (unless one works for the sanitation department, then it might be part of the job description). So Spiky, put the crap down, wash your hands, and enjoy the hell out of life. That way I won't have to enjoy life and can go about being grumpy all the time. I'll go ahead and start here.

*grumps*[/quote:98e014ef18]

Strangley enough it was work making me feel crap but as I'm not a sanitation worker i have no excuse except to say that I've been disillusioned by adult university student's inability to engage in independent learning and their demands to be spoon fed. And thats as equivalent to crap as it gets in my job.

But takes advice and washes hands and has enjoyed life since then :)