Armageddon

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Roman_K New Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/31/nasa_has_a_plan/

Well, the good news is that it's going to miss us in '29. The bad news is that it's going to do a u-turn and hit us in '36. If it'll hit, the consequences won't be that huge, by global standards, it'll just erase a city from the face of the planet, or cause another tsunami.

Just.
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good grief, not another one!
  3. Cynth New Member

At least in Africa we will be safe nothing like this ever seems to hit us.
    We've got enough other problems - somebody out there must have a sense of compassion or maybe irony...
  4. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:2e23a98443="Cynth"]...We've got enough other problems...[/quote:2e23a98443]I think we all do to be honest, there's far more immediate, distructive dangers and problems for our planet.
  5. Cynth New Member

[quote="Maljonic I think we all do to be honest, there's far more immediate, distructive dangers and problems for our planet.[/quote]

And it seems like africa's problems with debt, poverty, AIDS, war, famine, droughts, overcrowding, (and the list goes on) is getting worse.

For most of the part these problems can be sorted out by their own goverments - but these most of the time are so corrupt...they just don't care
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Africa's problems are everybody's problems. Or at least, they should be.
  7. Saccharissa Stitcher

We are one apecies unworthy of this beautiful planet and Africa is a case in point.
  8. Roman_K New Member

[quote:2fa83405cc="Saccharissa"]We are one apecies unworthy of this beautiful planet and Africa is a case in point.[/quote:2fa83405cc]

I recently read an article by an Israeli doctor volunteering in Botswana. His description is quite grim. While there are organizations that are trying to deal with the staggering HIV rate (over a third of the population have HIV), the local goverment is not too good in helping matters. Ghost towns are common. The most thriving business in the country after diamond mining is undertaking. Botswana is a whole country that is, quite literally, dying.

The money's there, the support is there, but not enough is done with it.
  9. Cynth New Member

[quote:2a1b663498="Roman_K"][quote:2a1b663498="Saccharissa"]We are one apecies unworthy of this beautiful planet and Africa is a case in point.[/quote:2a1b663498]

I recently read an article by an Israeli doctor volunteering in Botswana. His description is quite grim. While there are organizations that are trying to deal with the staggering HIV rate (over a third of the population have HIV), the local goverment is not too good in helping matters. Ghost towns are common. The most thriving business in the country after diamond mining is undertaking. Botswana is a whole country that is, quite literally, dying.

The money's there, the support is there, but not enough is done with it.[/quote:2a1b663498]

My dear... let me tell you something. Living in africa is something totaly different than living in America or Europe.
    And I mean living here and working here... I have been living in Africa's more prosperous countries (South Africa and Namibia) since i was born.

The biggest problems we have in our culture is the fact that people cannot forget the past and all it mistakes and go on with the future to make it a better place. Everybody is out to get payback in every sense of the word. And it makes it impossible then to focus on the bigger issues at hand.

The other problem is corruption. We have such a big problem with this and it doesbn't seem to be stopping. A guy who becomes president is supposed to look after his people (i.e Nelson Mandela) not steal their money, food, livelyhoods and everything else and then have the f*cking audacity to tell the rest of the world he's the best thing since sliced bread that happened to his country(Bob Mugabe).

Sorry...it's just hard to see people suffer for other people's greed and insanity.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:fc46249121="Cynth"]The biggest problems we have in our culture is the fact that people cannot forget the past and all it mistakes and go on with the future to make it a better place. Everybody is out to get payback in every sense of the word. And it makes it impossible then to focus on the bigger issues at hand. [/quote:fc46249121]
    You're talking to a Jew living in Israel. I think he knows about those issues!

[quote:fc46249121]The other problem is corruption. We have such a big problem with this and it doesbn't seem to be stopping.

...snip...

Sorry...it's just hard to see people suffer for other people's greed and insanity.[/quote:fc46249121]
    I think that's the point that Roman was making.
  11. Cynth New Member

Sorry I was getting irrate...
    We sometimes get so lost in our own problems that we forget there are people out there with the same ones...
  12. Roman_K New Member

[quote:c4fee491d0="Cynth"]Sorry I was getting irrate...
    We sometimes get so lost in our own problems that we forget there are people out there with the same ones...[/quote:c4fee491d0]

No problem, though your post was a tad patronizing. ;)

The problem with Botswana is not just those in charge, though. There's little awareness regarding AIDS, though that's partly due to the goverment as well. Local tribes thought (and still think) that fucking with as many partners as possible is a good thing, and signifies how good you are in some way, which is not helping matters.

And then there's the fact that Botswana became really rich really quickly, and the society is now split between the really rich and the really poor, with the middle class being very small. The prevalient mentality appears to be "live fast, die young".
  13. toadinnahole New Member

I keep reading these articles about how little actual money is takes to change the course of a life in Africa/India/Haiti (pick the corrupt and poor country of your choice) - a vaccine, an antibiotic, vitamins, an education, new methods of farming, instruction in child nutrition, micro-loans, etc... What is our excuse? If it isn't be money, is it apathy? evil? assholeness?
  14. Cynth New Member

[quote:026a8703f1="Roman_K"]

No problem, though your post was a tad patronizing. ;)

.[/quote:026a8703f1]

so profusely sorry .... i get very angry on that subject. The whole situation would be sad if it wasn't so mind boggling awfull
  15. Hsing Moderator

[quote:ca30ac5070="toadinnahole"]I keep reading these articles about how little actual money is takes to change the course of a life in Africa/India/Haiti (pick the corrupt and poor country of your choice) - a vaccine, an antibiotic, vitamins, an education, new methods of farming, instruction in child nutrition, micro-loans, etc... What is our excuse? If it isn't be money, is it apathy? evil? assholeness?[/quote:ca30ac5070]

The human nature?