Another request for recommendations

Discussion in 'NON PRATCHETT BOOK DISCUSSIONS' started by Hsing, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Hsing Moderator

I need some summer reading material, and as I have enough "heavy" stuff -non fictional as well as fictional- on my shelf still waiting to be red, that's not what I am asking for right now.

I am, so to say, looking something more chocolate of the literary world than healthy wholefood. If you know what I mean. With this weather and my current chronical lack of sleep, I don't want to use my brain for anything but uni right now... (Limited resources, you see. :p) Not at 9 pm, in any case.

I think I'll give some of the authors a try that got their own threads in this section of the boards, but I am open for more recommendations. I am more a fan of a complicated, yet logical criminal plot than for shoot out action, I like characters with some more layers than those of their clothings which they consequentially get rid of after a few chapters anyway. I like James Ellroy more than Patricia Cornwell - make of that what you want and transfer it, preferably but not necessarily, into a dark fantasy setting.

Am I making any sense at all? If not, I blame the weather.
  2. chrisjordan New Member

Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin, although that's not entirely logical.

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre.
  3. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:71a1750374="Hsing"] I am more a fan of a complicated, yet logical criminal plot than for shoot out action, I like characters with some more layers than those of their clothings which they consequentially get rid of after a few chapters anyway. [/quote:71a1750374]

I'm reading some Harlan Coben at the moment, he more than fits that bill.

My favourite so far is 'Gone For Good', but I'm only on my fourth. Some of the themes in them are a bit samey, but not tediously so.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

[i:192c50732b]The Dance of the Voodoo Handbag[/i:192c50732b] by Robert Rankin

or the Chocolate Bunny one mentioned, or the Brentford Trilogy - can't go wrong with Robert Rankin. :)
  5. chrisjordan New Member

Or the Armageddon Trilogy. :p
  6. TheJackal Member

I also need new stuff to read. I'm working in an Internet Cafe this summer until September begins, and it is BORING!

The job is very easy, mostly involving sitting on my arse all day, logging people on to computers & making some coffies. So I end up reading a book per day from my collection that has built up over the years.

Right now, I am reading Once More With Footnotes & then will have finished all my Pratchett books (took ages!) apart from a few audio books. Even read 3 Neil Gaiman books last week!
  7. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:85423441dc="chrisjordan"]Or the Armageddon Trilogy. :p[/quote:85423441dc]Ah yes, Barry the Time Sprout, Elvis and Jesus' sister. :)
  8. Hsing Moderator

I've ordered this one, but didn't yet read it. I have also tried the Anita Blake series, because I thought it might be just the kind of easy read I need right now... :) And I've got one book by Harlan Coben lying around here too! Thanks all. I'll come back to this thread once I've finished them all.
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Hollow choc bunnies is brillaint one of the funnyest books about.

I'll throw into the mix Anasi Boys my Neil Gainman, it's like American gods with more jokes. Other books that aren't that funny but a jolly good read are 'We' by Zamyatin ( the book that heavy inspired 1984) and 'I am Legend' I forget the auther but it's a cool zampire book.
  10. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:e325e60e0e="Rincewind"]Hollow choc bunnies is brillaint one of the funnyest books about.

I'll throw into the mix Anasi Boys my Neil Gainman, it's like American gods with more jokes. Other books that aren't that funny but a jolly good read are 'We' by Zamyatin ( the book that heavy inspired 1984) and 'I am Legend' I forget the auther but it's a cool [b:e325e60e0e]zampire[/b:e325e60e0e] book.[/quote:e325e60e0e]
    Vampire?
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Heheh. Dyslexia strikes again. I find the idea of a zampire book much more interesting than one about a boring old vampire.
  12. Ba Lord of the Pies

Does it wish to suck one's brains?
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Ba, you made me laugh. :)
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yep. I was thinking of zombies as i wrote that. Curse you dyslextor! You won agian!
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

vampire zombies, eh ? hmm...
  16. QuothTheRaven New Member

I remember playing a video game in which you fought against vambies (half zombie, half vampire).
  17. Hsing Moderator

Now, I'm actually reading that, due to your recommendation. I'm halfway through, and it seems to be a good book, although I don't yet want to come to a final conclusion.
    But it's no easy read for someone with English as a second language, I can tell you. I find it harder than I did "Trainspotting".
  18. nightguard5008 New Member

Just posted a new topic on this but try the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The first one of seven is The Gunslinger. Should keep you quiet for a while. I'm near the end of number seven.

Ken
  19. Hsing Moderator

Ah, my sister recommended that. Its more than a decade ago that I picked up a Stephen King book - I can test read hers next time I'm at her house.
  20. nightguard5008 New Member

Might be best to try his updated versions. The original was written when he was just starting out and by the time he finished the last one he was an established novelist so did a bit of a rewrite of the earlier ones.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

damn, I posted an answer to this topic last night... I must have hit "preview" instead of post... oh well, whatever...
  22. lizdini New Member

Connie Willis writes very good thought provoking stuff, for less thinking, theres Jasper Ffords Nursery Crime books, Charlaine Harris's 'dead' series.
  23. Sunna New Member

Ian Rankin's Rebus novels are very good!
  24. Hsing Moderator

Help!

Can anyone tell me something about Trudi Canavan?
    I have to opportunity to pick up one of her books in an exchange. (The MagicianĀ“s Apprentice). I know nothing of her or about her, though.