Another kingdom falls to democracy

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

Just read that Nepal's King Gyanendra has backed down and agreed to let the people choose a prime minister, hope it goes well for them.
  2. Saccharissa Stitcher

3. Pixel New Member

Even allowing for my monarchist bias, this looks to me like somebody thrown into a role he probably never expected to occupy trying to solve a difficult situation against severe opposition - note that the King sacked a Prime Minister for trying to [i:05c059a7fc]delay[/i:05c059a7fc] elections - also note that the opposition political parties reached an agreement with [i:05c059a7fc]armed rebels[/i:05c059a7fc] to oppose the King - not exactly a good sign for the rule of law if they form a government!
  4. Maljonic Administrator

There's still tear gas and riots from what I just heard on the radio.
  5. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

No single man, unelected by the people, should have control of his country's army. I wish them luck.

Equally I hope that whatever new system arises, forged by violence and chaos in this way, somehow manages to be stable and just. But unfortunately I doubt it, at least for quite some time.

Thankfully many of the politicians concerned seem intelligent and rational, so fingers crossed.