Americans vs. Aussies :-)

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by mowgli, Jul 5, 2007.

1. mowgli New Member

http://www.aussieinamerica.com/Default.htm

I accidentally stumbled upon this site while at work and spent a horribly unproductive half-hour giggling uncontrollably while the rest of my coworkers were, mercifully, at lunch! So far I've only had time to read the postings on food, Christmas lights and toilets... Among the things I've learned are the following:

- vegemite is apparently yucky to non-Australians (I'm reeeeally curious now!)
    - Australians are hugely conceited about the power of their toilets
    - Americans are likewise conceited about the whole toilet-and-bathtub in the same room scenario (I remember having sepate rooms for toilets and bathtubs in Kiev... definitely understand the pros and the cons, especially when the household has more than one person!)
    - "thunderbox" means outhouse
    - "thunderpot" means toilet!
    - Australians have "musk" flavored candy
    - Australians don't dig American chocolate (can't blame them here!)

Looking forward to more when I get home :)!
  2. spiky Bar Wench

I have never heard "thunderpot" this may be a secret society thing that only people overseas know about... It could be one of those things that everyone knows about dwarfs but that dwarfs don't know.

Theres so much reading here that I'll have to come back later to most of it.
  3. Stercus Stercus New Member

Thunderpot must be a regional thing, I've heard it before in at least one and maybe more songs by Kevin (Bloody) Wilson.

I think so at least, unless my heads playing up again.
  4. mowgli New Member

Always wanted to know.. what goes into vegemite?

(In our area, the question we're obligated to answer is "What goes into scrapple?" I've never tried it myself, but from what I've heard, it's basically all the parts of a pig that don't make it into sausage)
  5. Stercus Stercus New Member

Found this on a website, There's probably better ones out there, or one of our aussie members can read a jar.

6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I found this website very interesting, but will also have to come back to it later to finish reading it!
  7. mowgli New Member

:)

(Thanks, Stercus... mmmmm, vegetable-flavored yeast!)
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh it's more complicated than that, it actually tastes rather like something meaty, the taste is quite a long way from vegetables or yeast... It's a bit like saying that Branston pickle tastes of vegetables and vinegar...