All you talk about is Football, football, football.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Willmolly3 New Member

I agree we do need those two back in the team. I do hate p.crouch though he can not do anything apart from win headers
  2. Electric_Man Templar

The problem that Liverpool have with Crouch, is that they play to his strength, which is winning headers, unfortunately they have no-one within 20 yards of him so he can't head it to his own player. That was the problem England had on saturday. There is no point having a guy to flick the ball on if you don't get anyone for him to flick it to.

The guy isn't actually too bad with his feet (see the end of last season where he scored some very good goals), although he's obviously not as gifted as Rooney with them.

I get angry about people who get on Crouch's back for his performances. He was playing as well as he can in the circumstances, it's not his fault that he was picked by the manager and then not even utilised effectively.

[quote:a86510ef3f="Kenny"]As well as Wright-Phillips did getting forward the final ball certainly wasn't the quality of Beckhams and thats coming from a scouser. [/quote:a86510ef3f]

Beckham has not been producing that quality for England over the last two years. Since then I have not seen him consistently produce a decent ball into the box as he used to do. I have also seen too many of his corners fail to beat the first defender. He used to be good, but he's not good enough anymore. Unfortunately he'll still be picked as he has Sven enslaved to his will.

[quote:a86510ef3f="Kenny"]Also I agree that Carragher isn't a left back but he's so versatile he has to be in the final 23 for the world cup. He'll do a job all along the back 4 and i'd even say he makes less mistakes than Rio.[/quote:a86510ef3f]

Yep, definitely in the squad, not quite in the first eleven though.

I think we should play Gerrard and Lampard in the middle, but Stevie should play a bit deeper than he normall does for Liverpool. If we find ourselves behind, he can then release himself forward more. King is still developing and should not be a first choice player until he improves.
  3. Willmolly3 New Member

Understand this that I am not having a articular dig at crouch (even though it may come accross that way) you are completely right that he did not pick himself for the squad or even the team.

My main concern are the decisions that the staff are making naming no names. Yet again he used all subs when it made sense to keep things as they were. Poor old Wright-Phillips has not had a full 90 minutes yet and he was one of the best players on the field that night.
  4. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:d1752bcabc="Electric_Man"]The problem that Liverpool have with Crouch, is that they play to his strength, which is winning headers, unfortunately they have no-one within 20 yards of him so he can't head it to his own player. That was the problem England had on saturday. There is no point having a guy to flick the ball on if you don't get anyone for him to flick it to.

I get angry about people who get on Crouch's back for his performances. He was playing as well as he can in the circumstances, it's not his fault that he was picked by the manager and then not even utilised effectively.

[quote:d1752bcabc="Kenny"]As well as Wright-Phillips did getting forward the final ball certainly wasn't the quality of Beckhams and thats coming from a scouser. [/quote:d1752bcabc]

Beckham has not been producing that quality for England over the last two years. Since then I have not seen him consistently produce a decent ball into the box as he used to do. I have also seen too many of his corners fail to beat the first defender. He used to be good, but he's not good enough anymore. Unfortunately he'll still be picked as he has Sven enslaved to his will.

[quote:d1752bcabc="Kenny"]Also I agree that Carragher isn't a left back but he's so versatile he has to be in the final 23 for the world cup. He'll do a job all along the back 4 and i'd even say he makes less mistakes than Rio.[/quote:d1752bcabc]

Yep, definitely in the squad, not quite in the first eleven though.

I think we should play Gerrard and Lampard in the middle, but Stevie should play a bit deeper than he normall does for Liverpool. If we find ourselves behind, he can then release himself forward more. King is still developing and should not be a first choice player until he improves.[/quote:d1752bcabc]

I also get very angry when people have a go at Crouchy for a couple of loose displays he's had recently. I'm not saying he is a first team player for England but he's certainly a squad member who can do a job for England when needed. But if we are to utilize him we need to get men around him when attacking.

As for Beckham Ben. I'd probably say he's playing as well at the moment as he has been doing for a while now. I agree when the pressures on for England he doesn't always put in a stirling performance but I still don't feel it's the time for him to be left out, not just yet.

As for Liverpool. We play Anderlect tonight away from home and three points would almost certainly qualify us for the next leg if Chelsea beat Real Betis. And I hear Cisse is starting in a 4-4-2 formation so heres looking forward to it. :)
  5. colonesque10 New Member

YAY! We one 1-0 last night in Brussels and with two home game to come against the [i:747542fd52]lesser[/i:747542fd52] teams in our group we should now be certain of qualification to the last 16. :)
  6. Willmolly3 New Member

I must admit it is looking good for the Kop supporters.

My team beat Saints 2-1 to cement our place in the 4th spot of the championship, come on you WHITES
  7. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:9253783525="Willmolly3"]I must admit it is looking good for the Kop supporters.

My team beat Saints 2-1 to cement our place in the 4th spot of the championship, come on you WHITES[/quote:9253783525]

I fancy Leeds to come up this year, one way or another. They play league leaders Sheff Utd at the weekend don't they Will? :)
  8. Willmolly3 New Member

They play on Friday night on Skysports, If we pick up 3 points there I would fancy promotion. Sheff Utd are due a setback. We then have 2nd place Reading the week after! Could be an interesting week!
  9. chesterguy New Member

We were quite frankly, awful today, and were pretty lucky to come away with a point... We [i:4f9d31726d]should[/i:4f9d31726d] have easily beaten Bury on paper, but we just couldnt seem to string two passes together today... luckily though we got a penalty with ten mins to go...

And Wycombe were jammy and scored right at the end it seems :p

Thankfully we were drawn at [b:4f9d31726d]home[/b:4f9d31726d] to Folkstone in the cup... although that will just make it even more embarasing if we get beat ;)

Ah well... could have been worse... we could have been drawn away to MK Dons :lol:
  10. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:779d22be19="chesterguy"]And Wycombe were jammy and scored right at the end it seems :p [/quote:779d22be19]

:D Apparently it was a keeper fumble too!

[quote:779d22be19]Thankfully we were drawn at [b:779d22be19]home[/b:779d22be19] to Folkstone in the cup... although that will just make it even more embarasing if we get beat ;)

Ah well... could have been worse... we could have been drawn away to MK Dons :lol:[/quote:779d22be19]

We've got a boring draw, home to Northampton.
  11. Willmolly3 New Member

1-1 With Sheff Utd,

Bring on Reading! Got to try and overcome Blackburn in the cup on Tuesday night 1st though! Would be great if we could get a result over them.
  12. chesterguy New Member

We've got the Salop (Shrewsbury) on saturday, who we have a dislike-hate relationship with - we dislike them, they seem to hate us... and we're hoping to get revenge for our 5-0 thrashing we recieved there last year...
  13. colonesque10 New Member

We just need to win a game in the league at the moment to try and get some sort of run together. The defeat on Wednesday evening was frankly embarrasing, even if we did have a young team out, thats no excuse. Luckfully it's West Ham coming to Anfield on Saturday and with their previous record here I fancy us. We need to figure out how to score against teams like Bolton and Fulham who defend deep. :)
  14. chesterguy New Member

Well atleast it wasnt a 5-0 thrashing today... just a 3-1 thumping... our defence just want with it atall today, giving those Salopians pleanty to gloat about...

So, our team are due in at 9.00am tomorrow for training apparantly after that dismal display...

i just pray we dont play like that against Folkstone in the cup next week :cry:
  15. colonesque10 New Member

Well yesterday was better than it has been of late anyway. Not vintage Liverpool by anyones stretch of the imagination but atleast we deserved to win and won by more than the one goal, amazingly for the first time since February. It was also nice for Bolo to score and keep a clean sheet.

We play Anderlect in midweek and a win then would almost certainly put us through to the knock out stages. Things [i:626a5a5c5e]may[/i:626a5a5c5e] well be on the up, at last. :)
  16. chesterguy New Member

We [b:6637afa7e6]just[/b:6637afa7e6] managed to avoid embarrasment yesterday, after going a goal down against folkestone at home, and played awful in the first half, but came back through a penalty to equalise, and then a breakaway goal with 15 mins to go to win 2-1.

And for a change, we've got a decent draw for once...

At home to either Notts Forest or Weymouth, which means we can either stand a good chance of getting knocked out, but get a good crowd to watch us play the former champions of europe (who arent all that good at the moment) or stand a good chance of going through against Weymouth, depending on who gets through ;)
  17. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Been away and finally back. :cooler:

My congrats to Liver! And as I said - Man United is not that mighty. :)
  18. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:e659fc496b="Ivan_the_terrible"]Been away and finally back. :cooler:

My congrats to Liver! And as I said - Man United is not that mighty. :)[/quote:e659fc496b]

Cheers Ivan. Were on a pretty good run at the moment. Won two in the league in a row for the first time this season and seem to be going really well in europe too. I managed to get tickets for the Real Betis home game too. Also it was nice to see Garcia score an excellant hatrick for Spain at the weekend. 8)

I'd also like to say well done to England. We played really well on Saturday and deserved our win, although Argentina played really well too. It was nice to see Michael score past them again and I thought Rooney was awesome. Also Peter Crouch did okay when he came on. My only worry is that Gerrard was superb but Lampard wasn't. It seems that only one of them can play well at any one time in the same England side. :)
  19. Electric_Man Templar

In more important news, Wycombe are the only unbeaten* professional team in England. IN YOUR WEALTHY FACES CHELSKI!**

*ahem* Unfortunately our top striker has just moved to another club, but I think we should be able to keep going despite that.

*in the league
    **and the less wealthy faces of Grays Athletic
  20. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:ce49027e42="Electric_Man"]In more important news, Wycombe are the only unbeaten* professional team in England. IN YOUR WEALTHY FACES CHELSKI!**

*ahem* Unfortunately our top striker has just moved to another club, but I think we should be able to keep going despite that.

*in the league
    **and the less wealthy faces of Grays Athletic[/quote:ce49027e42]

I didn't know either of these poinys actually Ben, Congrats on the honour of being the only unbeaten team. Also which team did Tyson move to? :)
  21. spiky Bar Wench

Yeehaw!!! For the first time in 32 years Australia has made it to the World Cup :D It came down to penalty goals in the end...

Oz goalie saved first, then it was goal for goal until 3-2 and the Oz captain Viduka managed to miss everything. So we freaked out. But the Oz goale managed to stop the next Urugayan attempt and Aloisi converted the 4th... Therefore we one 4-2 on penalties :D

Oh yeah... Watch us get knowcked out in the first round! But at least we made it for a change...
  22. Cynical_Youth New Member

Cool, I was hoping they'd make it. Of course, they had to make it now that Hiddink (fantastic Dutch coach) is coaching. :)
  23. Electric_Man Templar

I played an 11-a-side game of football last night for the first time in about 6 years. It was my work versus another company and was great fun, especially the second half when I was playing in my favoured midfield-holding role and started breaking down the oppositions attacks, then releasing the ball for the strikers. I almost felt like I'd been playing consistently for those 6 years.

Until the last ten minutes when I was completely knackered.

Hopefully we'll play again some time, and play as well as we did in the second half for the entire game.

P.S. Viduka is the Australian captain? They must be really lacking a leader figure on the pitch. Good for them that they got through though. They've always had the harshest qualifying criteria.
  24. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:f423b3e98b="spiky"]Yeehaw!!! For the first time in 32 years Australia has made it to the World Cup :D It came down to penalty goals in the end...

Oz goalie saved first, then it was goal for goal until 3-2 and the Oz captain Viduka managed to miss everything. So we freaked out. But the Oz goale managed to stop the next Urugayan attempt and Aloisi converted the 4th... Therefore we one 4-2 on penalties :D

Oh yeah... Watch us get knowcked out in the first round! But at least we made it for a change...[/quote:f423b3e98b]

I was even chuffed that the Aussies made it through and us English and you lot are normally sports mortal enemies. They deserve it after the heartbreak of the last couple of qualification attempts. It'll also be good to see the like of Viduka, Kewell, Emerton and other at the world cup. Also I think the next time they try to qualify it'll be through the Asian Football Association system and should be a lot easier for them. :)

My beloved Liverpool beat Pompey 3-0 at home on Saturday which takes the winning streak to three in the league and four in all competitions. We play Real Betis on Wednesday who are a very good team and I have tickets, YAY! :cooler:
  25. colonesque10 New Member

Well we drew last night at Anfield, I was there. Great atmosphere and the Betis fans were awesome. I take my non-existant hat of to them.

The draw was enough to put us through but with the amount of chances we had we should have won the game comfortably. Peter Crouch the poor fella can't buy a goal although I made him my man of the match for his all round play. :)

Now [i:076c2f1cc5]all[/i:076c2f1cc5] we need to do is get a point at Chelsea to finish top of the group. :roll:
  26. colonesque10 New Member

Well another win last night, even if it was against the bottom side Suderland, means that were upto 4th in the table and sitting pretty for a team that doesn't own a striker who can score goals. Another boosting fact is that we now haven't conceded a goal in 7 games in all competitions which can only be good for the season ahead. I just don't want to see what happens if Jamie Carragher gets injured.

Next game we have Wigan at home on Saturday midday, a difficult game with the way there playing although we should have too much for them at home. :)
  27. Rincewind Number One Doorman

They did a job job yesterday agianst NewCastle.
  28. Perdita New Member

I can't find it anywhere but I thought some of you footballing fans might have mentioned the death of George Best. Belfast is going to be at a standstill this weekend for his funeral
  29. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:6c9f148ba5="Perdita"]I can't find it anywhere but I thought some of you footballing fans might have mentioned the death of George Best. [/quote:6c9f148ba5]

I didn't mention him because, due to the media frenzy, I doubt anyone who knew who he was didn't know about it. Whilst I'm not glad he died, I don't feel a particular sense of loss. I never knew him or even really developed an admiration for him (as I'm sure fans of Man U did).

I've toyed with commenting on the reaction to his death, but haven't, until now (prompted by you).

And this is the sort of thing I would comment on:

[quote:6c9f148ba5]Belfast is going to be at a standstill this weekend for his funeral[/quote:6c9f148ba5]

Why?

He was a very good footballer for about 10 years. But apart from that, what has he done to provoke this mass sea of grief? There wasn't this sort of reaction to the death of Stanley Matthews or Brian Clough, both of whom contributed a lot more to football than Best

So what has Best done since he stopped playing football to deserve this? I don't know. From what I gather, mostly what he's done is drink, womanise and gain a reputation as a wife-beater. Hardly admirable.

I guess what it has done, is propel him to supreme celebrity status, in an age when the celebrity is key and it doesn't matter what you've done, it's the fact that everyone knows about it.

I also don't understand why there seems to be a theory that "everyone" must grieve, culminating in the decision by the FA that every football match in the country had to have a minutes silence before kick-off last weekend.

Now I'm quite happy to let those who are saddened by his death to grieve, but I would predict that in the vast majority of matches last weekend, there weren't that many who genuinely* wanted to grieve his death. If they really are, they would be able to set aside a time to have a small ceremony if they couldn't go to his funeral. If, say, Tom Cruise were to die, would you expect every cinema in the country to have a minute's silence before every screening in a weekend?

I really can't understand the reason why there has been a mass outpouring of grief for him. Is it really just because he was a celebrity?

*as opposed to those who felt duty-bound to grieve because the papers told them to
  30. Perdita New Member

He was also one of the few public figures who didn’t seem to have a political persona- either nationalist or unionist. Although he was born and raised in a predominantly Unionist area this (to my knowledge) did not seem to effect his standing as anything but a good footballer within Nationalist communities.

Although I won't be 'shedding a tear' tomorrow I don't plan to be in Belfast (I'll be in my mum's house 50 miles up the road) I do think that he meant something to a lot of people.

I was walking past city hall last night after work - some of the railing along the front of it had bee covered in memorabilia, flowers posters etc. People had attached different team’s football jerseys with messages written on the fronts Apart from in shops, I have to admit it's the first time I’ve ever seen Rangers and Celtic football shirts hanging side by side.
  31. colonesque10 New Member

I couldn't agree more with what you said Ben, well said. He was an awesome footballer, probably the best Britain has ever produced but thats all he was. He didn't exactly do shed loads for charity and he certainly wasn't the family man the media are trying to potray he was. He enjoyed his life and I admire him for that. But when he was given a second chance that could have gone to someone else he spurned it and went back on the booze. For that reason I do not respect him as a person.

It will be a sad day tomorrow and it was sad night on Wednesday, especially for his son Callum but then it should be put to bed like Cloughie's death was, and as Ben said he gave so much more to the game as a whole. Also i've heard 3 different people since his death say that he was a better player than Maradona and Pele and without offense to him he wasn't even close.

RIP BESTIE :(
  32. colonesque10 New Member

Well another win today (yesterday, i've just got off a night shift so I still can't quite tell) 3 - 0 against Wigan. Also another clean sheet, that's 8 in a row now, better than anyone else in all the divisions. But the best thing was that Peter Crouch scored his 1st goal, and maybe his 2nd, for us. The Kop absolutly erupted and he got a standing ovasion when he left the field. PROLIFIC! :D
  33. Electric_Man Templar

*faints with shock*

[quote:335759a03b="colonesque10"]better than anyone else in all the divisions. [/quote:335759a03b]

*cough*UNBEATEN*cough*
  34. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:05265b3dec="Electric_Man"]*faints with shock*

[quote:05265b3dec="colonesque10"]better than anyone else in all the divisions. [/quote:05265b3dec]

*cough*UNBEATEN*cough*[/quote:05265b3dec]

I meant the fact that we hadn't conceded a goal in 8 games was better than anyone else in any division. Obviously you lot being unbeaten is a better achievement. It would be some achievement if it lasted to the new year, that would be pretty amazing. :)
  35. Willmolly3 New Member

Peter Crouch 1st did not count as his unfortunatly, bit of a mad deflection, but it gave him confidence to net a super goal with a lovely Lob, he may start to bang them in now.

Leeds recorded there 4th straight win which pushes us to third, Watch out Sheff Utd!!!
  36. Willmolly3 New Member

Peter Crouch 1st did not count as his unfortunatly, bit of a mad deflection, but it gave him confidence to net a super goal with a lovely Lob, he may start to bang them in now.

Leeds recorded there 4th straight win which pushes us to third, Watch out Sheff Utd!!!
  37. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:703ecafd6c="Willmolly3"]Peter Crouch 1st did not count as his unfortunatly, bit of a mad deflection, but it gave him confidence to net a super goal with a lovely Lob, he may start to bang them in now.

Leeds recorded there 4th straight win which pushes us to third, Watch out Sheff Utd!!![/quote:703ecafd6c]

Yeah the 1st one was a bit iffy, so i'm not that surprised that it was taken off of him, although as you said the 2nd was a cracker. He's been playing so well for us that he deserves the bit of credit he's getting at the moment.

Leeds are doing well Will, they have a serious chance of automatic promotion. It'll probably be Reading along with either yourselves, Sheff Utd or Watford. :)
  38. Willmolly3 New Member

I agree although Watford have slowed down in recent weeks. Sheff UTD Will have to push harder if they dont want us to catch them!

Be watching the Liverpool match tonigh, hopefully and entertaining one with lots of goals!
  39. Orrdos God

Well, Rangers somehow got into the next stage of the champions league.

The worst team scotlands ever had in the competition, but the first one to actually get out the groups.

Typical I suppose.

Still, rangers are now the worst team left in it by a mile
  40. Willmolly3 New Member

I agree that Rangers are probably the worst side still in it. Think they will more than likely get knocked out next round. Would be good to see Rangers Chelsea or Rangers Liverpool!

Dull game last night for me but Essian shoudl have been of for that challenge!
  41. Electric_Man Templar

Can't be Rangers-Chelsea, they both came second in their group!

Could be Rangers-Liverpool or Rangers-Arsenal though
  42. Willmolly3 New Member

Good point they did finish 2nd! Rangers Liverpool then, that would be good. Arsenal vs Chelsea mabye??
  43. Willmolly3 New Member

Someone in my office has however told me that home nations can not draw each other until the 1/4 finals! Not sure how true this is!!

COME ON YOU WHITES LUFC FOR LIFE
  44. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:ccf136c5f2="Willmolly3"]Someone in my office has however told me that home nations can not draw each other until the 1/4 finals! Not sure how true this is!![/quote:ccf136c5f2]

This is true Will. The exception is us because we got in as the 5th team from our leaguw we have no country protection. So if Arsenal had of finished 2nd in their group we could have got them in the last 16. Preferbaly i'd like Werder Bremen, Benfica, Rangers or Ajax. The way were playing we should be looking to beat those four teams fairly comfortablly. :)

As for Tuesday night I though it was a bit of a non occasion, we stopped them playing and thats all we needed to do. As for Essien's challenge, I thought it was a disgrace, a cowards challenge. It's the 2nd one of the season for him so far and something needs to be done about him or he [i:ccf136c5f2]will[/i:ccf136c5f2] end up breaking someones leg. Sissoko's challenge was poor but atleast he touched the ball, Essien was a good 3ft away from it.

PS: BENFICA RULE!! :D
  45. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:b418ab5960="colonesque10"]This is true Will. The exception is us because we got in as the 5th team from our leaguw we have no country protection. So if Arsenal had of finished 2nd in their group we could have got them in the last 16. Preferbaly i'd like Werder Bremen, Benfica, Rangers or Ajax. The way were playing we should be looking to beat those four teams fairly comfortablly. :) [/quote:b418ab5960]

Werder Bremen was pretty good last night. I'd say Benfica and Rangers are the weakest two teams left. I'm hoping Ajax (or at least PSV) draws Villareal. I think they are the weakest out of all the number 1s.
  46. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:3ae9e6c76a="Cynical_Youth"][quote:3ae9e6c76a="colonesque10"]This is true Will. The exception is us because we got in as the 5th team from our leaguw we have no country protection. So if Arsenal had of finished 2nd in their group we could have got them in the last 16. Preferbaly i'd like Werder Bremen, Benfica, Rangers or Ajax. The way were playing we should be looking to beat those four teams fairly comfortablly. :) [/quote:3ae9e6c76a]

Werder Bremen was pretty good last night. I'd say Benfica and Rangers are the weakest two teams left. I'm hoping Ajax (or at least PSV) draws Villareal. I think they are the weakest out of all the number 1s.[/quote:3ae9e6c76a]

Yeah. Werder can be good on their night but they struggle when they come up against good defensive side, which Panathonakois are not. I'd also probably agree that Villareal are the weakest of the eight top teams.

Juventus - One of the best in europe.
    Liverpool - European champions, hard to beat (5 times :) )
    Lyon - Very good athletic side now.
    Villareal - Very good technically but a bit suspect at the back.
    Barcelona - Probably the best team in Europe at the moment with the best player in the world.
    Arsenal - Great side who still haven't achieved in Europe what they should have done.
    Inter Milan - Incosistant but with Adriana they have a match winner.
    AC Milan - Been poor so far in the competition but always come good in the later stages.
  47. Willmolly3 New Member

I would say Liverpool have a good chance of retaining the title, they are looking good now, I thinkt hey just need one or two more key signings.

Also You are correct I forgot you got put in through qualifiers. I would like to see you play Rangers in next round.
  48. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:dee3ee6bad="Willmolly3"]I would say Liverpool have a good chance of retaining the title, they are looking good now, I thinkt hey just need one or two more key signings.

Also You are correct I forgot you got put in through qualifiers. I would like to see you play Rangers in next round.[/quote:dee3ee6bad]

Rangers would be a great tie in the next round, it'd be good for Britain. I think we'd be too strong for them at home though, especially the current form their in.

As for signings, I agree we need a couple of new faces, maybe three. A right winger, a forward and a back up centre half. It was looking like me might get Simao in Janruary if Benfica had gone out but probably not now. So it wasn't [i:dee3ee6bad]all[/i:dee3ee6bad] good last night.

PS: Ben, I see your still unbeaten and top of the table although i'm sure you think you should have beaten Boston at home.
  49. Cynical_Youth New Member

Well that sucked. Just like the European Championships, one of the toughest groups. Ivory Coast may not be that good, but Argentina and Serbia Montenegro will be difficult matches.

England's group also has some good teams.
  50. Electric_Man Templar

I'd like to thank Rochdale for having two idiot players who got themselves sent off for things they had no need to do in our half, which made the 3-0 victory oh so comfortable.

I also see that Liverpool kept [i:122bef0d55]another[/i:122bef0d55] clean sheet. They are the housewives choice.
  51. colonesque10 New Member

Good win for Wycome Ben, still unbeaten. Great record.

Another decent win for Liverpool today. We weren't at are best but still managed to control the game pretty well and certainly deserved the 3 points. It was also nice to see Morientes score both goal, he needs the confidence.

As for the Word Cup draw, very exciting. Englands group is pretty easy. Sweden will always be tough but if we play near out best we should beat them. Trinidad and Tobago have many players from our lower leagues so we should be comfortable against them. Paraguay are a decent side with one very good player in Roque Santa Cruz, but we should be far too strong for them.

Cynical Youth, Holand probably do have the toughest group. Holland V Argentina is a mouth watering game that I can't wait for, pick of the first round games definatly. I'm hoping for Holland though. :)
  52. Willmolly3 New Member

I have just read that England have not beaten Sweden in 37 years. OMG.
    Should pick up at least 6 points from the group though.

Leeds lost to Cardiff :( what a shame we were doing so well. Hey ho you can not win them all.

I am keenly keeping my eye on Liverpool now as they are looking good in all competitions at the moment. It is certainly more promising than previous seasons where it has been very hit and miss (Bar the champs league that is).
  53. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:3623b748f2="Willmolly3"]I have just read that England have not beaten Sweden in 37 years. OMG.
    Should pick up at least 6 points from the group though.

Leeds lost to Cardiff :( what a shame we were doing so well. Hey ho you can not win them all.

I am keenly keeping my eye on Liverpool now as they are looking good in all competitions at the moment. It is certainly more promising than previous seasons where it has been very hit and miss (Bar the champs league that is).[/quote:3623b748f2]

I was surprised by the Cardiff result Will, especially the run Leeds had been on and it being at Elland road too.

We are looking a lot more consistant, especially in the league. With the kind of players we have were always going to do well in Europe but it's nice to see that their also starting to adapt to the English game too, which is of course so much faster. :)

I can't believe it's 37 years either, I knew it was long but I din't realise it was so long. Lets hope we can end all that in June next year.
  54. sleepy_sarge New Member

Do any of your clubs have an online equivalent to the fanzines? My UK contacts sporadically snail mail me some, but I miss out now that I can't get a read of one that is "doing the rounds" in my circle of friends in my home town.

If your team has such a thing, then, it'd be great (for me) if we had a list of em.

My lot can be found at the link below, but be warned, [b:8e16abffbf][color=red:8e16abffbf]the cartoons and language are not appropriate to some work or family situations.[/color:8e16abffbf][/b:8e16abffbf] i.e. there is a lot of swearing. And sheep.

http://www.redfinal.com/
  55. Electric_Man Templar

Goddamit. Still, I guess it had to end sometime. Unfotunately.
  56. Willmolly3 New Member

8 wins out of 10 for Leeds GREAT.

The only frustration is that all we have to show for it is third position as the top two teams keep performing well. Oh well if we can win another 8 in our next 10 who knows.
  57. Electric_Man Templar

After a very pleasing 2-0 win for Wycombe, I was shocked when I got home to read that one of our young players, Mark Philo, had died during the game, from injuries sustained in a car crash this morning. The driver of the other vehicle (I only know that she was a she) also died.

Mark was only 21 and had a very promising future ahead of him. If it weren't for several injuries, he would have been a regular in our side this year. I was sure that he would go on to a higher level of football.

It is a very sad end to what was a very good afternoon.

[img:bd01552391]http://www.wycombewanderers.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/df/70/0,,10430~2781407,00.jpg[/img:bd01552391]
  58. sleepy_sarge New Member

Looking forward to a summer of love.
    [quote:5a273df59a]
    'Nazi' helmets for Dutch supporters

The Dutch football association (KNVB) has criticised the decision by a Dutch company to sell a plastic replica of a WW II German Army helmet to Dutch fans attending the World Cup in Germany this summer. 'Helmpje' is orange in colour with a small Dutch flag on the side. It also bears slogans such as "Go, Holland, Go" and "Attack". Seller Free Time Products insists the helmet is a light-hearted joke[/quote:5a273df59a]
  59. Electric_Man Templar

The nerves are astarting to jangle and the excitement is building to undoubtably Wycombe's biggest game of the season so far, which starts in seven hours time.

I'm just hoping that there will be one more, bigger game. We have the ability to beat Cheltenham tonight and I really think that we deserve to after the rotten luck and double tragedies that have befallen our season.

I doubt it's going to be an easy game on my heart, but I'm looking forward to it, though slightly apprehensively. Come on Wycombe.
  60. Watchman New Member

Wish you the best of british luck there Electric. I'm a Leyton Orient fan and after the start Wycombe had to the season I was sure if anybody deserved to get automatic spot it was them. Will keep fingers crossed for them this evening.