All you talk about is Football, football, football.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Electric_Man Templar

So, Wycombe Wanderers are unbeaten, Liverpool scraped though to the Champions League only to get a tough group, Dynamo Kiev. Ex-Plymouth player Ian Stonebridge has finally played a few good games in a row a mere 13 months after joining wycombe, and Chester's lone fan isn't on these boards at the mo.

Anything I've missed?

Oh yeah, we all hate Man U
  2. colonesque10 New Member

Man U got the easiest group as always and Owen still doesn't know where he's going to kick a footie this season.

Also didn't you get an Aregentine on loan at Wycombe today Ben? :)
  3. Electric_Man Templar

From www.chairboys.co.uk

TORRES SET TO SIGN
    (Monday 22nd August 2005)
    The Club have revealed that they have agreed an "undisclosed fee" for Basingstoke Town midfielder Sergio Torres subject to a medical. It was reported last week that the Argentinian was expected to sign for Wycombe and the fee is most likely to be related to the number of First Team appearances he makes for the Wanderers. 'Stoke boss Ernie Howe told the Basingstoke Gazette prior to the deal "I don't think that if he is sold it will be for a very large fee but we are talking of an arrangement whereby they buy him and loan him back to us to get his fitness up." If, as expected, the medical is successfully completed, Torres should play for Wanderers in Wednesday evening's Combination game at Crawley Town and will then also be available for selection for next Saturday's 'League Two' trip to Shrewsbury Town.
  4. colonesque10 New Member

Here are the eight Champions League Groups if anyones interested and doesn't already know. I've also added how many times they have each won the competition. :)

Group A
    Bayern Munich - 4 times
    Juventus - 2 times
    Club Brugge
    Rapid Vienna

Group B
    Arsenal
    Ajax - 4 times
    Sparta Prague
    FC Thun

Group C
    Barcelona - 1 time
    Panathinaikos
    Werder Bremen
    Udinese

Group D (the easy one)
    Man Utd - 2 times
    Villarreal
    Lille
    Benfica - 2 times

Group E
    AC Milan - 6 times
    PSV Eindhoven - 1 time
    Schalke
    Fenerbache

Group F
    Real Madrid - 9 Times
    Lyon
    Olympiakos
    Rosenborg

Group G
    Liverpool (European champions) - 5 times
    Chelsea
    Anderlect
    Real Betis

Group H
    Inter Milan - 2 times
    Porto - 2 times
    Rangers
    Artmedia Bratislava
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

In other News Last Season I won my fantasy Football Lengue! With me and my cousins. YAY ME!

The trophy will arrive on monday so all (well me) can bask in it;s glory!
  6. Tephlon Active Member

According to my colleague Man Utd might have a bit of a problem with Benfica, but then again, it's his club. :)

PS: Group C, the fourth team is Udine[b:55077dbc39]n[/b:55077dbc39]se
  7. spiky Bar Wench

I don't suppose you guys are interested in a tipping competition for the champions league with the winner with the highest score at the end winning the grand prize of 1 million virtual dollars?

I'd have tosee the team colours because my knowledge of european soccer teams can be measured by a very small thing, and I pick teams based the ugliest combo of colours or flipping a coin...
  8. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:4b581ae088="Tephlon"]According to my colleague Man Utd might have a bit of a problem with Benfica, but then again, it's his club. :)

PS: Group C, the fourth team is Udine[b:4b581ae088]n[/b:4b581ae088]se[/quote:4b581ae088]

Amazingly, Kenny has spelt it correctly. Well the English version anyway.
  9. drunkymonkey New Member

it is a little known fact that Newcastle are the best.
    even though I don't care for football.
  10. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:0a9f4f99a3="spiky"]I don't suppose you guys are interested in a tipping competition for the champions league with the winner with the highest score at the end winning the grand prize of 1 million virtual dollars?

I'd have tosee the team colours because my knowledge of european soccer teams can be measured by a very small thing, and I pick teams based the ugliest combo of colours or flipping a coin...[/quote:0a9f4f99a3]

I'd say if Chelsea don't win it Spiky then i've got a feeling for Juventus this year. :)

Well done Rinso, I came 3rd in my works one last year, that sounds good but there was only six of us in it. I'm currently 7th in the new one thats just started, but theres still a long, long way to go.

Tephlon: Amazingly I did actually spell Udinese correct, in our way anyway. As for Benfica, they are a decent side and won the Portugeuse league for the first time in 11 years so they shouldn't be underestimated, especially at home in their brand spanking new stadium. 8)
  11. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

I think Chelsea has no chances, Milan or Juve will win. I stake on Juve, with Viera they can finally win.

[b:e5c32bb3f4]Colon[/b:e5c32bb3f4], Man Uniated can be polished off by any team in their group. I won't be surprised if they come 2d or even 3d. :badgrin:

I'll support Liver, Arsenal and Juve this year.

And Ukrainian national team... Dynamo... :( ... :cry:
  12. colonesque10 New Member

To be fair the Ukranian national side have done very well so far, I think they'll make it.

I'm pissed and i've just watched us win the super cup, go the POOL. the most succesful team in england, ever 8)

Edit: Sorry for my pissed antics, edited for readability. :oops:
  13. Orrdos God

I think Rangers might actually have a chance of getting through.

Porto aren't the side they were, Artmedia are crap (despite thumping celtic. I think that was a bit of a freak result) and Inter, well, they'll beat them more than likely.

But 2nd place is not out of the question
  14. Toaf New Member

I support Juve! :lol:
  15. sleepy_sarge New Member

pfft - glory hunters! A football team is for life.....which is why, no matter where in the world I am, I've been stuck with Aberdeen F.C.

Our supporters all bear an uncanny resemblance to Bob :(
  16. Orrdos God

I'd think Aberdeen'll be in the top half of the league this year. Probably about 4th or 5th depending on Hibs.

The intriguing question of course is whether Hearts can keep it together for the whole season.

I doubt it, but I still think they'll be a close third
  17. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:aa907e8f3f="Orrdos"]I'd think Aberdeen'll be in the top half of the league this year. Probably about 4th or 5th depending on Hibs.

The intriguing question of course is whether Hearts can keep it together for the whole season.

I doubt it, but I still think they'll be a close third[/quote:aa907e8f3f]

I'd go with that. It would be great if Hearts [i:aa907e8f3f]could[/i:aa907e8f3f] keep up the momentum though.
  18. Orrdos God

Yeah, it would be amazing.

Of course, they all pale in comparison to the mighty motherwell :)
  19. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:943e58471b="Orrdos"]Yeah, it would be amazing.

Of course, they all pale in comparison to the mighty motherwell :)[/quote:943e58471b]

I'll have a pint of whatever Orrdos is having please! Must be good stuff! ;)
  20. Electric_Man Templar

Well Wycombe have kept their unbeaten record, but threw away a lead to draw 1-1 at shrewsbury, we really need to hold onto them if we are to go up.

We also have Aston Villa visiting in the league cup, which means we're out unless they play the reserves. And Kenny so wanted us to play Pool in the 3rd round!
  21. colonesque10 New Member

Well Hearts have managed to keep it going for now, 15 points from 5 games, and with Rangers losing they've moved 5 points clear of them. Aberdeen have always been my Scotland side because half of my family is from that area so i'm glad to see them winning again. :)

Ben, if Wycombe had kept a clean sheet they'd of been top now wouldn't they, still sitting pretty a point off though, not too shabby. As for Aston Villa, should get a few thousand more through the gates and you could get to see more of Milan Baros than me this season, surprisingly. :)
  22. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[b:5f4001e7dd]Colon[/b:5f4001e7dd], congrats! :)

But the judging was realy crappy. I don't support CSKA*, but the referee realy broke the game.

*In ex-USSR all hated (and hate) Moscow, and Moscow hates everyone. The only Russian team I like is Zenit (St. Petersburg), by bizarre coincidence citizens of Kiev and SPb are united in their hate to Moscow (and, naturally, Moscow teams) and love to their cities. :)

By this judging UEFA showed (once again) Russia (and all Eastern Europe) its place... :(
  23. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:1f28f4002a="colonesque10"]Well Hearts have managed to keep it going for now, 15 points from 5 games, and with Rangers losing they've moved 5 points clear of them. Aberdeen have always been my Scotland side because half of my family is from that area so i'm glad to see them winning again. :) [/quote:1f28f4002a]

Me too - is this the light at the end of the tunnel - or another bloody train heading for us!

I tend to have a "local" team when I'm posted away from Scotland (need that live sport fix), so I always keep an eye out for Brentford (lived in Twickenham for 2 years), Newcastle (ditto for one year) Norwich (still have a UK house there) and currently ADO Den Haag.

When I'm in the States it's baseball and the Houston Astros

Maybe (Brentford excepted) these clubs should all have paid me to stay away. :(
  24. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I used to live in near brentford and went to collage in twickenham.
  25. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:38df418fb3="Rincewind"]I used to live in near brentford and went to collage in twickenham.[/quote:38df418fb3]

Great place to go to college (although you were probably in kindergarten when I was there!)
  26. Rincewind Number One Doorman

yeah, it was becuase it's a rugby town there are laods of pubs! In fact i might go there today!
  27. colonesque10 New Member

Cheers Ivan 8)

[quote:aaba1635f2="sleepy_sarge"]Me too - is this the light at the end of the tunnel - or another bloody train heading for us!

I tend to have a "local" team when I'm posted away from Scotland (need that live sport fix), so I always keep an eye out for Brentford (lived in Twickenham for 2 years), Newcastle (ditto for one year) Norwich (still have a UK house there) and currently ADO Den Haag.

When I'm in the States it's baseball and the Houston Astros

Maybe (Brentford excepted) these clubs should all have paid me to stay away. :([/quote:aaba1635f2]

I hope it's light but knowing Aberdeen it's probably a high speed train, probably even a leaning one, damn Richard Branson.

Newcastle aren't doing much better, Souness is under a lot of pressure now even just in August. In fact I read a stat yesterday that the last three managers were sacked on August the 27th, the 28th and the 30th so if Souness gets sacked today it will be the perfect pattern. Poor fella. :(
  28. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:ec98ee6eff="Rincewind"]yeah, it was becuase it's a rugby town there are laods of pubs! In fact i might go there today![/quote:ec98ee6eff]

Pffft. The only reason you like it is because it's full of hurly burly young men Rinso. Your missing Dale too much. :D
  29. Electric_Man Templar

After a very poor first hour today, Wycombe unleashed new signing Sergio Torres today from the bench, and his presence lifted the team to dominate the last 30 minutes. However, the match still ended 0-0.

If Torres continues to play like he did today, I can see a lot of copycat ponytails popping up on the streets of Wycombe!

Unfortunately that might attract Rinso here
  30. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:cce9b8f22e="Electric_Man"]After a very poor first hour today, Wycombe unleashed new signing Sergio Torres today from the bench, and his presence lifted the team to dominate the last 30 minutes. However, the match still ended 0-0.

If Torres continues to play like he did today, I can see a lot of copycat ponytails popping up on the streets of Wycombe!

Unfortunately that might attract Rinso here[/quote:cce9b8f22e]

It said on the radio that he looked a bit like Diego Forlan, poor fella! It did say that he played well though and with a bit more match practice should tear league 2 apart this season. :)

A DIRE, DIRE DAY! It seems that Michael Owen will sign for Newcastle for certain tomorrow, this is a terrible day for me. It worries me that even though he wanted to come to Liverpool he wasn't allowed due to money and/or managerial tactics. I jsut hope we can steal him in the 11th hour.
  31. Electric_Man Templar

Dammit, where's a welshman when you need one...

Ah well, to any welshmen passing by, 1-0!
  32. Cynical_Youth New Member

1-0! In your face, Armenia!

Yeah... it was terrible, but still... the Czechs screwed up against Rumania and now we only need to beat Andorra and Macedonia to qualify. Yay!

Good to see Ukraine through, btw.
  33. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:8b276c6fc8="Cynical_Youth"]1-0! In your face, Armenia!

Yeah... it was terrible, but still... the Czechs screwed up against Rumania and now we only need to beat Andorra and Macedonia to qualify. Yay!

Good to see Ukraine through, btw.[/quote:8b276c6fc8]

Hmm that's why they switched the Scotland game off midway through the first half in my Dutch "local"

Oh well we are going nowhere anyway......
  34. Tephlon Active Member

hah, Portugal just beat Luxembourg 6 - 0 today.

Not really surprisingly, of course... :)
  35. Orrdos God

Actually, just a thought, at work we play yahoo fantasy football.

Basically, you pick a team and it accumulates points based on how the players perform that week.

Each player has a value and you can pick players up to a given total.

You can make changes each week if you so desire.

So, would anyone be interested in a setting up a board league on the thing?

Mostly, I just want to crush you all :)
  36. Orrdos God

Oh yeah, its based on the English Premiership :)
  37. Cynical_Youth New Member

Good idea, count me in. :)
  38. Electric_Man Templar

Yeah, I might as well join in the fun, the fun being beating Doors of course.

Can ye link to the rules, team choice page please?
  39. Orrdos God

40. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

What a crappy game against Georgia. :shock:
    But we are in Germany 2006!!! Huuurrraaay! :)

Orrdos, I might play this game as well. :)
  41. Perdita New Member

OK, Ok, I don't know anything about Soccer football but I didn't want to start up a new thread to mention my team winning at football yesterday.

In Ireland we play a version of football called Gaelic which is the origin of Aussie Rules football- if anyone's ever heard of it? (I know more people are more likely to have seen Australian Rules football that Gaelic! Aussie rules rocks by the way- go Swans!)

Anyway my team (Tyrone) won the semi- finals of the All- Ireland championship against their old rivals Armagh. We now go on to play Kerry in the finals (Kerry is were Jackel is at the moment) *

Alas :roll: I will be in sunny Barcelona when the match will be played so hopefully I will find a good Irish pub to wear my red and white to!

* Ireland is composed of 32 counties and 4 provinces (Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connaght) The counties first have to try and win their provinces title** and then the quarter, semi and final to win the championship. Oh yeah, and there’s also a back door system which gives the counties a second chance but does mean that they have to play a lot of games- this is how my team got in.

** Also not all counties have a lot of Gaelic football clubs to choose players from some counties play more hurley instead (Like hockey but much much meaner!) - There are no professional players of either of these games in Ireland- Unlike soccer- Gaelic has a lot more physical contact and a lot more injuries!

Edit: Ok I re-read this twice and it makes sense to me but maybe not to anyone else who reads this - If anyone needs further explaination let me know.

Also to repeat, it's not a hi-jack. Gaelic is football to me. There are no alternatives! :)
  42. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:30d69ce14c="Perdita"](I know more people are more likely to have seen Australian Rules football that Gaelic! Aussie rules rocks by the way- go Swans!)[/quote:30d69ce14c]

The Swannies are my team too :) They were totally rorted in the final on the weekend! Stupid umpire and his stupid penalty! They're having a bit of an argy bargy over that decision still at the moment...but its a good thing we've got the second chance to get to the semi...

On soccer, which is nothing compared to aussie rules, I will create my team based on my complete lack of knowledge of the premier league and beat you all! In your face! You soccer knowledgeable people!
  43. spiky Bar Wench

ummm what the hell happened to england against N. Ireland? I never thought of the Northern Irish as a powerhouse in the football world but is england feeling a bit embarassed today or what?
  44. Electric_Man Templar

Embarrassed is the right word I think. Poor tactics and poor performances produced a poor result (for us).

It seems Sven was caught completely unaware by the Northern Irish tactics, when anybody who watched Wycombe's cup-run could've given him an exact definition of what Sanchez would do (he was our manager then).

I'm going to join the 'Sack the Swede' bandwagon, his starting tactics were wrong, his substitutions were wrong (and slightly bizarre) and he obviously hadn't motivated the players sufficiently.

The good news is, we will still qualify automatically if we win our last two games, lets hope we do.
  45. Perdita New Member

Living in Northern Ireland- I have to say the reaction from people in work this morning is kind of ‘what the f**k?’ most people find it very funny. Northern Ireland doesn’t have many players to choose from plus the fact that they’ve got a pretty small fan base (another one of those political and religious things here).

People in work were saying yesterday that Northern Ireland would loose
    6-0 or something like that.
  46. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:d6e54121d4="Orrdos"]I'll get a group set up for us once I see how many people want to play :)[/quote:d6e54121d4]

So, how's that going?
  47. Cynical_Youth New Member

Ajax, my team, drew against Sparta Prague yesterday. Not a bad result, but we should have won with all the chances we had.
  48. Electric_Man Templar

Thought I'd resurrect this as there is a bit of footy chat on other parts of the boards.

Also, WYCOMBE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

[size=7:5bf56a576a]even if we didn't deserve to get a point against Chester[/size:5bf56a576a]
  49. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:e3a443e298="Electric_Man"]Thought I'd resurrect this as there is a bit of footy chat on other parts of the boards.

Also, WYCOMBE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

[size=7:e3a443e298]even if we didn't deserve to get a point against Chester[/size:e3a443e298][/quote:e3a443e298]

I like the admission Ben, honourable for once in your measly worthless life. ;)

I totally forgot about this thread.

Well where do I start. Firstly with my team Liverpool. We play so well against Chelsea in Europe, should of had at least one penalty, and then we go and play so crap against them in the league and get stuffed 4-1. I worry how and where were going to score goals from and how were even going to make enough chances to win games. :(

As for England, thats now three poor performances in a row in my opinion. Okay, Saturday wasn't [i:e3a443e298]that[/i:e3a443e298] bad but it still wasn't vintage and playing like that in Germany next year will get us absolutly nowhere. We have the players but we just don't seem to have a system to fit them into. Real Madrid were proof last season that a team full of superstars isn't a team at all it's just a group of great players.
  50. chesterguy New Member

[quote:1fea781e96="Electric_Man"]and Chester's lone fan isn't on these boards at the mo.
    [/quote:1fea781e96]

He is now ;)

[quote:1fea781e96="Electric_Man"]
    [size=7:1fea781e96]even if we didn't deserve to get a point against Chester[/size:1fea781e96][/quote:1fea781e96]

We'll just blame both of our defences for the draw shall we? :p

Thankfully Gregg Blundell's injuries arent too bad after he was stretchered off after two mins on friday against rochdale, after their keeper came charging out of his goal and kicked him one in the head... amazingly the keeper was allowed to stay on the pitch, which is rather anoying considering the two little fouls that Beckham did for England and got sent off...

Referee's Eh? International Problem... ;)
  51. Willmolly3 New Member

I would just like to add to this post that I am a LEEDS UNITED fan if anybody was interested! We also hate MAN UTD
  52. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:30df803e47="Willmolly3"]I would just like to add to this post that I am a LEEDS UNITED fan if anybody was interested! We also hate MAN UTD[/quote:30df803e47]

I like it! :D ;)

Also can I just say C'MON THE ENG_ER_LAND tonight.......! :)
  53. Willmolly3 New Member

I am excited to see how they do without those so called big stars.

I bet they win comfortably with the deputising players playing well. Then when it comes to the next game the underperforming stars will be back in!
  54. Electric_Man Templar

Well last night was much better than saturday.

I think the big difference was the lack of Beckham. With Wright-Phillips playing we actually had width and pace in the side, without missing Beckham's "legendary" crossing ability. Compared to recent performances, the passing/crossing actually improved last night. Beckham should [b:29799a94ec]not[/b:29799a94ec] be in the starting line-up when available.

Other things to come out of last night - Carragher shouldn't play left back anymore. Ledley King needs to improve his passing, if he does, he would make a very good defensive midfielder.
  55. Willmolly3 New Member

I agree with everything you have said However I do not think He will leave either Beckham or Gerranrd out of his starting line up if they were available. The two boys King and Philips done good for us last night, King stopped the majority of Poland attacks coming forward.

But it goes to shoe that the back four need improving as it only takes one mistake for a goal to be scored.

Lampards finish was class, as it was a technically difficult finish. He even said he considered heading it in!
  56. Smoking_GNU New Member

SHEESH!!

You people are as bad as the Rugby supporters down here. :D

Following a sport of your choice is all good and well but this is verging on obsession. :lol: :D :lol:

PS: This is only a joke, for those who did not understand the smilys. :D
  57. Maljonic Administrator

Just been talking on the phone to some guy from York City Football Club, he was asking if I wanted a billboard with my web design company name on it - £295 a year isn't all that bad, but I said no for now. :)
  58. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:7e0fe98e84="Electric_Man"]Well last night was much better than saturday.

I think the big difference was the lack of Beckham. With Wright-Phillips playing we actually had width and pace in the side, without missing Beckham's "legendary" crossing ability. Compared to recent performances, the passing/crossing actually improved last night. Beckham should [b:7e0fe98e84]not[/b:7e0fe98e84] be in the starting line-up when available.

Other things to come out of last night - Carragher shouldn't play left back anymore. Ledley King needs to improve his passing, if he does, he would make a very good defensive midfielder.[/quote:7e0fe98e84]

I don't totally agree. I thought King did very well and is certainly an option but i'm not sure he's first choice. Also as much as Beckham gets slated he's been world class in Madrid this season. Probably better than anyone else at the Bernabou(Sp). As well as Wright-Phillips did getting forward the final ball certainly wasn't the quality of Beckhams and thats coming from a scouser.

Also I agree that Carragher isn't a left back but he's so versatile he has to be in the final 23 for the world cup. He'll do a job all along the back 4 and i'd even say he makes less mistakes than Rio. Lampard was fantastic last night but if your going to play king, neville, parker or some other defensive midfielder alongside him can you really drop Steven Gerrard. I've seen him play probably 50 times, Live, in the last couple of years and i'd say he's probably the best player i've ever seen play live. He can turn a game, Istanbul, better than any player and his box to box is second to none. I do understand the problem Sven has got but can we really leave a player out who would get into any other international or club team in the world? :)
  59. Willmolly3 New Member

I just feel when Beckham and Gerrard are playing the rest of the team play at a lower standard and rely to heavely on the star players. Its like if they dont know what to do they will pass the ball to Beckam and expect him to create magic everytime.

Young is a good find at right back but has a lot to learn. He needs to develop his attacking skills. He was not adventerous enough for my liking last night
  60. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:5b60b2b1e3="Willmolly3"]I just feel when Beckham and Gerrard are playing the rest of the team play at a lower standard and rely to heavely on the star players. Its like if they dont know what to do they will pass the ball to Beckam and expect him to create magic everytime.

Young is a good find at right back but has a lot to learn. He needs to develop his attacking skills. He was not adventerous enough for my liking last night[/quote:5b60b2b1e3]

Young is a decent 'young' player but he also needs to watch the game a little more and not the ball. He was left a bit wanting for the goal but to be fair to him it was a pinpoint cross. I still think we miss A. Cole and G. Neville when there missing. :)