All New Deathmatch: Fight 1

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Orrdos, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Orrdos God

It's been a long time since we did a deathmatch, so I thought I'd go back to basics and do a tournament with the books once again.

Hoorah!

So, for the first fight, lets bring on:

Pyramids Vs The 5th Elephant

Now, in the original Deathmatch, Pyramids recieved a bye into round 2, where it came up against and defeated Soul Music, before being beaten in Round 3 by Witches Abroad.

The 5th Elephant defeated The Last continent in round one, before being knocked out in the 2nd round by Men At Arms.

So, who will win this one?

I'm going to go for.... The 5th elephant. I never liked pyramids over much, but 5th elephant is a cracking read.

Now, remember, you vote for the book you like best :)
  2. Delphine New Member

5th Elephant. I haven't read Pyramids, and The 5th Elephant is one of the best out of the ones I have. :)
  3. Orrdos God

Oh, yeah.

The current reigning champion is a book called "Small Gods"

Never seen the what the fuss was about to be honest :)
  4. chrisjordan New Member

Pyramids was average. Fifth Elephant was great.
  5. Hex New Member

Fifth elephant. No contest.
  6. Electric_Man Templar

Yeah, Pratchett's still learning to write in Pyramids, whereas The Fifth Elephant has so much more to it.

A lot of the earlier books are funnier, but I don't actually think that that's the case here. T5E all the way!
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ow... choosing hurts... I really liked Pyramids, I must say, but the 5th did sort of jump out at me there and yell "pick me !!" while jumping up and down in that annoying elephant way, so hey, go for the elephant...
  8. Roman_K New Member

Fifth Elephant. I liked Pyramids, but it lacked the depth The Fifth Elephant had.
  9. fairyliquid New Member

poor pyramids...

5th elephant wins my vote but pyramids has my sympathy
  10. plaid New Member

my confession here is that i only vaguely remember both books. but i remember pyramids being funnier. for some reason.

if i'm wrong, it's my poor memory's fault.
  11. Hermia New Member

My confession is worse. I haven't yet read either. But 5th Elephant has a better title.
  12. Maljonic Administrator

THe Fifth Elephant is the best title, but I'm going for Pyramids as a superior literary text. :)
  13. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

Fifth Elephant was my highly random first disc book..........so i'm fond of it for that reason...........but i somehow remember Pyramids with more affection, maybe thanks to all the Greek Philosopher jokes :D

*Blinks with torture of decision-making*

I'll go with Pyramids.
  14. Bradthewonderllama New Member

15. KaptenKaries New Member

One more for the Elephant.
  16. Tephlon Active Member

Damn... Pyramids was really good. I've reread it twice now. But T5E is just incredibly well written....

I'll vote later....
  17. spiky Bar Wench

T5E I just liked it more...Pyramids has its moments but overall it just isn't as good.
  18. TamyraMcG Active Member

BCBs :lol: ,I liked T5E a lot, I do hope Pterry returns to Djelibeybi someday.
  19. Pixel New Member

I preferred Pyramids - some subtle bits and some outright hilarious - examples below in spoilerspace:

[quote:3d8c6b8cc7][color=white:3d8c6b8cc7]The sun-rising football commentary.
    The Ourobourous (sp?) reference to the snakes on Dios' staff, reflecting his cyclic life.
    The whole Dios/Teppic conflict, which is probably more significant to anybody who has seen the BBC comedies "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" about civil servants trying to thwart the elected ministers - Dios is Sir Humphrey to Teppic's Jim Hacker.
    Cats who lived surrounded by sand but come in to do it in the King's sandals.
    and many more (Oh yes- don't forget the walrus!)[/color:3d8c6b8cc7][/quote:3d8c6b8cc7]
  20. Cynical_Youth New Member

I think I'll go with the Elephant too.
  21. koshu New Member

i went with the elephant!!

I found it Great :)
  22. Orrdos God

Ok, and the winner is:

The 5th Elephant!

:)
  23. Maljonic Administrator

Ridiculous! It only won because it got more votes! :)
  24. Orrdos God

Yeah, a controversial method of determing victory really.

I think it should be done on an arbitary system of "WHAT DOORS LIKES BEST"

Then we can just make Hogfather the winner, and all go home early :)