A year on

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Buzzfloyd, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

So, I was thinking about the fact that this board is now over a year old. The community, of course, is a good five years old, and some people have been members since the beginning. The 20 oldest surviving members, ie members of the old board still posting on this one, are:

1. Rinso
    2. Garner
    3. Ba
    4. Jackal
    5. Jinxted (I don't think he's posted on this board, but he is a member)
    6. KaptenKaries
    7. Maljonic
    8. Trollmother
    9. Leather Monkey
    10. Perdita

11. Mazekin
    12. Marcia
    13. Buzzfloyd
    14. Avgi
    15. Hex
    16. Gypsy (only two posts on this board, but she is registered)
    17. ArcNgel (no posts here, but is a member)
    18. Plaid
    19. Brad
    20. Hsing

Honourable Mentions:
    Pepster would have come in at number 18 if he hadn't decided to leave.
    If Jinxted, Gypsy and ArcNgel were taken out of the list for failure to post, or to post recently, Hermes, Doors and Jaccairn would have come in at the bottom.
    Therefore, just missing the boat by one place is Kenny. Typical!
    Other notable absentees who would otherwise have made the list are Joyce Ogg, Pat and Lady Emma, all of whom are still missed and occasionally asked after.

Several of the members on that list have had lengthy absences of several months or even years (including me). Since Rinso was absent for about a year after signing up, Garner holds the record for longest continually-posting member (wait, that sounds wrong...), active since May 2001, two months after the original boards opened.

Of course, there are plenty of valuable members who aren't on that list, or who didn't even join until we were on this board. And isn't that great? We now have valued community members who joined us on this board! We also have more new people all the time. I realise that, given our history, many of those will be troublemakers creating false identities, but by no means all of them. The highest post count at the moment is Katcal's, and she's of Unseen vintage.

It's also worth mentioning that this community has turned out to belong to a Terry Pratchett Messageboard of Luuuuuuuuuurve. I won't list out all the couples, but let's just say that Garner and I seem to have started a trend. ;) Several of us now have met our partners/spouses via this online community, and I think that shows the strength and honesty of what we've built here in cyberspace. It reinforces the importance of insisting that people contribute sincerely and without deception - good things grow out of it!

So, all in all, I don't think we're doing too badly. I propose a toast:

Here's to us: to friendship and camaraderie between people spread all over the globe; to resilience and strength in unity when under attack, and to happiness and prosperity for the future.
  2. Hsing Moderator

Cheers!

[IMG]
  3. Electric_Man Templar

*spreads jam on toast*
  4. Tephlon Active Member

*eats Ben's toast*

Cool post Grace
  5. Dane New Member

Hoorah to one and all!
  6. Electric_Man Templar

I did say it was Doorman-Jam, right? Hope you enjoyed!
  7. Maljonic Administrator

What a wonderful thread! . :)
  8. Hex New Member

*Throws Toast in the air.*

Hooray for us!!
  9. fairyliquid New Member

*looks at toast, wonders where the peanut butter is*

That's pretty amazing though.
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Makes you feel all googly inside.
  11. KaptenKaries New Member

Time flies when you get to read Garner's rants. Skål för fan!
  12. randywine Member

I'll raise a glass to all...

Slainte.

R.
  13. Maljonic Administrator

I think I spent a few months on here checking to see who's catching me up with their post counts, wondering when Garner, Rincewind, Hsing or Electric Man would overtake me, then sort of forgot about it and stopped checking. I never would have guess that a crypto-French person would overtake us all!
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

"crypto-French" **dies laughing, then resuscitates and eats all the toast lying around** Nice one Mal, I like it :D

Huzzah for us !

And no, I do not talk too much. you guys just don't talk enough to cover my noise. This should be seen to at once. I suggest we tie Kenny to his keyboard and make him post until he catches up.

May I also suggest toast should be replaced or at least accompanied with sausages. Real Sausages. And pie.
  15. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I never left the boards, there was a period with the 'no posts' when I didn't post, but I still checked the boards pretty often. I still maintain that this whole 'Continued posting' malarky is nothing more than an ilaborate scheme to rob me of my rightfull title of Longest registered poster...I also believe his somehow connected with another scheme (even more dastardly) to rob me of my other title 'Most hansome and funny poster.'
  16. Angua_rox New Member

Nicely done everyone.
    You guys have really set up a good place here.
    Long may it last!!
  17. Orrdos God

I'm actually shocked i'm not in the top 20, I didnt realsie there were that many old skoolers still kicking about.

The names that i saw when i first lurked, the people that I grew up reading!

Ahhhhhhhh, old times
  18. Tephlon Active Member

*ptuie* *fffttttff* *uche*
  19. Cynical_Youth New Member

20. QuothTheRaven New Member

I arived at the original boards a few months before they had to be abandoned, and I am glad I choose to come here. I had to stop posting for a while (read 9 months) because of computer problems, and was glad to find that the community was still here when I got back. Here's to it remaining here always.
  21. spiky Bar Wench

Huzzah!

Maybe one day when all the old timers have kicked on I can be considered as special as them (in a good way)... Although the psuedo-French rabbits rampant posting fills me with despair of ever catching up...

If you take my count on this board and the old board I should be at about 1500 posts and Kat who's been here less time has achieved that only on this board.

*Eats the crumbs of the toast that was left lying around (the bits without Doorman jam)*
  22. Marcia Executive Onion

This is also the only message board I have ever known where moderation is achieved through public vote.

Yay democracy!
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Having been around longer doesn't make us more special! You're special too, Spiky. Very special.
  24. KaptenKaries New Member

Just not quite as special as me.
  25. Tephlon Active Member

"special"....
  26. Perdita New Member

I feel all fuzzy inside - 10th place!!!

I'm a serial lurker - I remember when Garner joined! ;)
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

Lies !!! Garner is the great God and he created us all, and gave us a soft, warm albeit a little smelly place to live up his holy arse.

Sorry, am I getting my myths mixed up again ?

Spiky, don't felle bad, it's all a question of quantity vs. quality. You are a quality poster :D
  28. Mynona Member

What I also find fantastic is the doormencons... I mean, how many people would travel as far as some of us have to meet people they've only spoken to on the net?

And those meetings has been well worth it.

Skål [ does not add the profanicies* that kapten karies did.]

*If this word comes across as misspelled, there's something wrong with your eyes, I spelled it correctly, honest.
  29. jaccairn New Member

Cheers! everyone. :D
  30. spiky Bar Wench

Ahhh thanks guys... I did specify "special in a good way" so all allusions to "special in need of mental help way" slide off my back like a duck dipped in KY jelly

I don't trust psuedo-french bunnies perceptions of quality... I'm on to you, you discovered a way to turn your rabbitty reproduction rampancy into a way of populating the world with your posts. Your posts are breeding like rabbits!! Run for your lives!!!!!
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

World domination is an art. I have a dimploma in art.

Oh and spiky... a duck dipped in KY jelly ? Ewwwwwwwww !!!
  32. missy New Member

I just realised this morning i have been a member on here for 8 months now. I thought i would run out of steam and get bored but you have all managed to find a small nook in my life where you hide away and keep me sane/insane.

Thanks guys.
  33. Angua_rox New Member

A Dimploma Katcal?
    Wow.
    Is that like with extra dimples?
  34. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nope, it's a diploma for dim people... :cooler:

**Whacks Angua with a plastic bunny**
  35. TamyraMcG Active Member

It has been such a crazy year for me. I'm glad I've had the Unseen board to look forward to, even when my computers failed, I knew you were out there and that it would be well worth my while to get back. Since I doubt there will be little let up in the craziness anytime soon, I'm equally grateful that the Unseen board is such a strong community. May it live long and prosper :D .
  36. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

:D A dimploma... ::laughs::

Thank you, Katcal, for your offering of an amusing typo. They have been thin on the ground recently. (As the Great Goddess, I receive all offerings of chocolate and amusing typos most gratefully. I also pass on the opals and krugerands to Mynona for counting.)
  37. inwig New Member

Gotcha dahlings that would be the German misspelling of krugerrands I would assume?

Even the great encyclopedia that gave me this board link redirects your search to the double ahrrr spelling. Smart little Hex that it is.

Check out the full list of other spellings and please note the advice bit :badgrin:

inwig
  38. Faerie New Member

I just realized Aug 17th was my year on mark. Time flys when you're having fun.
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

'Tis always a pleasure to provide, my dear Goddess... typos are easier to provide than opals and kruggythings of course. In fact, at some times I become an amazing typo-mine. Which is of course much preferrable to producing pantos, whatever they are.
  40. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Inwig, I am aware of the correct spelling, thanks! (Note my title!) However, the Great God Garner specifically asks for offerings of opals and krugerands. I have queried this with him in the past, but he says offerings of krugerands saves wear and tear on the keyboard.
  41. Angua_rox New Member

Well done Inwig, catching the Spelling Bee out!!
    Nice work!
  42. Garner Great God and Founding Father

43. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, you just would go and say something like that, wouldn't you...
  44. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Ahem.
  45. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Your so busted grace...oh wait.
  46. Electric_Man Templar

Grace is Busted? But I thought they'd split!
  47. inwig New Member

Oh well I won't be asking the great God Garner to grant me any wishes soon. I might get deluged instead of showered and one Kruger was enough, no need for more 'ands eh?

**ducks fast and leaps sideways as lightning bolt cracks where feet were*

inwig
  48. Garner Great God and Founding Father

49. spiky Bar Wench

Inwig I think you may have confused GGG with the Ba. Ba is the god that goes in for a lot of smiting. Garner just tends to rant. Sometimes you do wish that he'd just smite you. At least its quicker...
  50. Hex New Member

And so much more entertaining for the rest of us!
  51. Mynona Member

Amusingly, the only word I've seen Grace, spelling bee extrodinaire, misspell is that, misspell. 8)
  52. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

O Irony, my muse!

Edit to add: I didn't actually misspell it, I typoed it. This is an important difference. I think I've only made one spelling error since I was 11. I have, however, made many typos.
  53. Katcal I Aten't French !

He smites me...
  54. Hex New Member

That's because you're special!

(... Just keep telling yourself that and the smiting won't be so bad...) :D
  55. inwig New Member

Right so GGG is "and the Word is", Ba is "and the Smiting is".

Ok got it. Now who is "and the Direction is"? That's the one I have to keep an eye on for when to take evasive action if posting smart alec comments.

Ducking and leaping around for no apparent reason just makes you look silly. ;)
  56. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Splendiferous thread, Grace.
  57. Gypsy New Member

Hello!!!

Thankyou for keeping me on the list!

It has been sooo long since i've been here, and I really have NO excuses.
    Apple-ogies to those of you who I bumped off the list, but, well, you get that ^_^.

There will soon be more, but those I currently remember are Maljonic, Buzzfloyd, Orrdos, Garner, Rincewind, Bradthewonderllama, Colonesque, Perdita, Samantha Vimes, Mazekin, Trollmother, Plaid, Ba, Marcia and SamSpayed... I am trolling the boards for more names, and I hope that some of you still remember me!

Gypsy

p.s. Does anyone remember what my avatar used to look like? I lost it. I think it was some sorcerer looking lady with some white electric light bizzo...
  58. Sunna New Member

I take my hat off to you all,doesn't matter if you just missed the list ferry. Like us Icelanders say,skál í botn!
  59. Maljonic Administrator

Hi Gypsy, I remember you.

I forgot all about this thread. I like the description of Katcal: "Unseen Vintage". :)
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome back Gypsy.

Thanks for reminding me of that Mal, I also loved the "crypto-French" comment, although of course, I am now Pseudo-irish...