A Useful Online Service

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Joculator, May 28, 2009.

1. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I don't know how anyone reacts to tele-sales calls, but after answering the fifth phone call today (from the same number) when the caller simply hung up, I tried a google search for the number and came across this site.

It's called Who Calls Me, and describes itself like this:
    "This is a user supplied database of phone numbers of telemarketers, non-profit organizations, charities, political surveyors, SCAM artists, and other companies that don't leave messages, disconnect once you answer, ignore the Do-Not-Call List regulations, and simply interrupt your day."

I'm sure we've all had calls of this nature and would love to have known exactly who was on the other end of the phone line.

Obviously you need to know the number of the caller so Caller ID, your mobile or simply dialling 1471 on the BT network will oblige here.

I was surprised to find over five pages (120+ comments) about the number that had called me and was interested to see if was connected with calls purporting to be from an animal charity, a well known bank, a debt collection agency and a firm of solicitors. It had been tracked to a cowboy firm of double glazing installers who claimed their tele-sales staff have had a 'major restructuring'(?) in order to prevent this behaviour.
    At least I managed to obtain an address plus their five other phone numbers. So I think those reply paid cards from junk mail can come out of the recycling bin and be filled in... <evil sneer>

Let's see how they like it.

Looking at further coments, the site is used for numbers outside of the UK as well.
    It won't stop these jokers from calling me, but if I'm ever in their area I might call in and give them a 'near Joculator experience'!
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hmm, shouldn't be saying this but we haven't had any calls of that annoying kind for a while...

Another nice "getting your own back" one is to use those prepaid envelopes you get with some offers to send any old junk mail you get to whatever company supplied the envelope. Just make sure you don't include any personalised stuff with your name or Id on it...