A quick idea for some fun

Discussion in 'NON PRATCHETT BOOK DISCUSSIONS' started by Garner, May 7, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Literary death matches. contribute some suggestions of various authors from any era of history (dead ones only, please) and then we randomly pair em up into death matches. Could Francis Bacon have beaten down William Shakespeare? Or whould they both have been made to submit to the might of Stephen King (okay okay, he's not dead, but it was the silliest thing i could think of)
  2. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

Good plan. I forward Chaucer, Poe and (of course) the master of them all, he who should never have died: Douglas Adams. :cry:
  3. Maljonic Administrator

Kilgore Trout. :)
  4. mowgli New Member

Does it have to be a duel (two people) or can it be a brawl (more than 2 people)?
  5. Hex New Member

TS Eliot against anyone. His power of symoblism will take down anyone!!

(In truth I'm sick of him. I hope to GOD I never have to read Burnt Norton EVER AGAIN!)
  6. Pixel New Member

[quote:8e5b541816="Maljonic"]Kilgore Trout. :)[/quote:8e5b541816]

OK, Mal, if you're introducing fictional writers (as opposed to fiction writers) - which particular version do you mean? (For those not recognizing the reference, see here) - or maybe a couple of the rounds could be Kilgore Trout versus Kilgore Trout! :)
  7. Maljonic Administrator

8. jaccairn New Member

9. Pixel New Member

[quote:b1abe483f1="Maljonic"]If he's a fictional writer, how come I just read one of his books, Venus on a Half Shell? :)[/quote:b1abe483f1]

Because as mentioned in at least two links in this thread, that one was Philip Jose Farmer getting in on the act (as I remember it, with a not very good book!) - which is why I suggested the possibility of a couple of rounds of Kilgore Trout versus Kilgore Trout. :)

Maybe we could have a second category for fictional authors - that could include Dr Watson (for Sherlock Holmes) and General Sir Harry Flashman VC (based on the Flashman papers, since his chronicler George MacDonald Fraser has not seen fit to resurrect "Dawns and Departures of a Soldier's Life")
  10. QuothTheRaven New Member

If we are having a fictional author category, I nominate Lemony Snickett.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:8dd80dd0b4="Pixel"][quote:8dd80dd0b4="Maljonic"]If he's a fictional writer, how come I just read one of his books, Venus on a Half Shell? :)[/quote:8dd80dd0b4]

Because as mentioned in at least two links in this thread, that one was Philip Jose Farmer getting in on the act (as I remember it, with a not very good book!) - which is why I suggested the possibility of a couple of rounds of Kilgore Trout versus Kilgore Trout. :)

Maybe we could have a second category for fictional authors - that could include Dr Watson (for Sherlock Holmes) and General Sir Harry Flashman VC (based on the Flashman papers, since his chronicler George MacDonald Fraser has not seen fit to resurrect "Dawns and Departures of a Soldier's Life")[/quote:8dd80dd0b4]

[quote:8dd80dd0b4="a very true source"]There are some that will tell you that Kilgore Trout doesn't exist- don't listen to them. These are the same naysayers that will tell you that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Illuminati do not exist.[/quote:8dd80dd0b4]
  12. plaid New Member

S. Morgenstern could beat up all of those other fictional writers, yo. :p
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Robert E. Howard, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
  14. QuothTheRaven New Member

A quick list of dead novelists:
    Robert Heinlein,
    Isaac Asimov,
    Frank Herbert,
    Ernest Hemingway,
    John Steinbeck.
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

How about Charles Dickens? Or Alexander Pope.
  16. chrisjordan New Member

George Orwell?
  17. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:afe8c42037="chrisjordan"]George Orwell?[/quote:afe8c42037]

VS. Alduous Huxley.
  18. QuothTheRaven New Member

So, the contestants so far are:
    Francis Bacon,
    William Shakespeare,
    Chaucer,
    Poe,
    Douglas Adams,
    Kilgore Trout*,
    TS Eliot,
    Lemony Snickett*,
    S. Morgenstern*,
    Robert E. Howard,
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,
    Robert Heinlein,
    Isaac Asimov,
    Frank Herbert,
    Ernest Hemingway,
    John Steinbeck,
    Charles Dickens,
    Alexander Pope,
    George Orwell,
    Alduous Huxley.

*fictional writer, rather that writer of fiction
  19. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Leo Tolstoy will defeat anyone, yes comrades?

Edit to add: Except Tolkien.
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I was just about to ask why Tolkien wasn't in there. He wasn't the greatest writer ever, but was a great contributor to writing.
  21. fairyliquid New Member

Edgar Allan Poe