A question about Ankh Morpork

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by drunkymonkey, Feb 26, 2006.

1. drunkymonkey New Member

In which book was the system of the guilds first mentioned.By this I mean the fact that the thieves guild weren't actually criminals, neither were the assassins or anyone of any guild.
  2. Garner Great God and Founding Father

guards guards, possibly. thieves and assassins are both mentioned in the first book(s) i think, but they're underworld organizations then.
  3. Plugger New Member

they did get invited to the dragons dinner though, dragons like power right so they must have been pretty important for the city
  4. Hsing Moderator

Hm... Wasn't that Guards, Guards - the dinner, I mean? In which case you both would be right. :)
  5. Electric_Man Templar

Wyrd Sisters was before Guards Guards and involved a mugging by "official" Thieves - with humourous discussion about the licensed mugging.

Pretty sure there was no "official" activity in the *checks list* five books before that.
  6. Hsing Moderator

I remember that, too, now that you mention it!
    Nice to see how some added odditiy made up to make the city more bizarre evolved into an entire political system book by book.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

I think they were mentioned before, but only explained properly in GG... I've just been reading the bit where the creation of the guilds is explained and how the patrician worked the whole thing out...
  8. Roman_K New Member

[quote:6360a04215="Garner"]guards guards, possibly. thieves and assassins are both mentioned in the first book(s) i think, but they're underworld organizations then.[/quote:6360a04215]

They were mentioned in The Colour of Magic, but I'm not sure if the assassins were an underworld organization then. I think they were an official part of the city for several centuries before Vetinari's reign. The rogues are different matter.
  9. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:7013564b12="Roman_K"][quote:7013564b12="Garner"]guards guards, possibly. thieves and assassins are both mentioned in the first book(s) i think, but they're underworld organizations then.[/quote:7013564b12]

They were mentioned in The Colour of Magic, but I'm not sure if the assassins were an underworld organization then. I think they were an official part of the city for several centuries before Vetinari's reign. The rogues are different matter.[/quote:7013564b12]

The Patrician in CoM (who as I far as I know wasn't Vetinari) hired them to take out Twoflower, so I don't know.

And Wyrd Sisters was set in Lancre yes? So why would the Ankh Morpork society be mentioned there?
  10. Because in WS, TomJohn is in AM, and he ends up saving the fool from being robbed by the theives guild. (When fool goes to find someone who can write a play for the duke and duchess) I think he even ends up coming out ahead. :lol:
    Please forgive me if I am incorrect. Its been a while since I read that one.
  11. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:6175378e51="somethingclever"]Because in WS, TomJohn is in AM, and he ends up saving the fool from being robbed by the theives guild. (When fool goes to find someone who can write a play for the duke and duchess) I think he even ends up coming out ahead. :lol:
    Please forgive me if I am incorrect. Its been a while since I read that one.[/quote:6175378e51]

Actually, that's true. I forgot.
  12. Woo hoo! My memory not as bad as I thought it was!!!
    [i:bf6c7b83be]*Does happy dance. Looks around to see if co-workers saw it.* [/i:bf6c7b83be] :)
  13. drunkymonkey New Member

Hang on, wasn't it mentioned in Sourcery? Or has my memory failed me again?