A pronounciation question for the Swedish around

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Hsing Moderator

How do you pronounce "Malin"?
    :)

Edit: picked 1 wrong word.
  2. Trollmother New Member

Jag say something like Maalinn.
  3. Hsing Moderator

I think that's how we do, too.
    Well, you see, it's my daughter's name, and the German (!) Swedish experts in our circle of acquaintances keep spelling it accentuatedly different than we do - with the a sounding like a German "o" or a crossover between a and o, if you know what I mean.
    I knew we might have "Germanized" the name a little, but still, I find it almost more impolite than telling us straight that we got it wrong.

I always thought the more o-like "a" had that loop-shaped accent on top - sorry, I don't speak a word of Swedish, shame and ashes on me.
  4. Trollmother New Member

No, the a in Malin sounds like [i:d655c61393]a[/i:d655c61393] in Tag. [i:d655c61393]å[/i:d655c61393], an a with a little ring above sounds like o in Tor. I forgot to say that the stress lies on both vowels but I guess you understand that. Malin was short for Magdalena former but is now a name of its own.
  5. Hsing Moderator

So I was right! And they were know it alls! And I can say a Swedish confirmed it! (You know, I knew it was a sjort form of Magdalena once, and some always considered it to be insoired by the Russian "Malinka", so i figured it xcouldn't be spelled like "o"... Also, I had heard it in s Swedish film.)

Thanks, Trollmother. You safed me and Malin some humiliations. :) ;)
  6. KaptenKaries New Member

Vowels pronounced exactly like in the name Marvin, popularized by the paranoid android.
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:77847f4b3a="Trollmother"][i:77847f4b3a]å[/i:77847f4b3a], an a with a little ring above sounds like o in Tor.[/quote:77847f4b3a]

More like the ending sound in Bordeaux, no?
  8. Hsing Moderator

[quote:f8c4fb289a="KaptenKaries"]Vowels pronounced exactly like in the name Marvin, popularized by the paranoid android.[/quote:f8c4fb289a]

That's the way we thought it was. Thanks all!
  9. mowgli New Member

[quote:ef751df6e0="Hsing"]and some always considered it to be insoired by the Russian "Malinka"... [/quote:ef751df6e0]

Why would anyone name their daughter after a raspberry? :p
  10. Trollmother New Member

[quote:1e83072f82="KaptenKaries"][quote:1e83072f82="Trollmother"][i:1e83072f82]å[/i:1e83072f82], an a with a little ring above sounds like o in Tor.[/quote:1e83072f82]

More like the ending sound in Bordeaux, no?[/quote:1e83072f82]

We're speaking German here, Kapten! Tor (tower) has a perfekt å-sound, which of course aux has too.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

So in fact, it's exactly like the first o sound un Bordeaux. :lol:
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:56d1bb1c89="Trollmother"][quote:56d1bb1c89="KaptenKaries"][quote:56d1bb1c89="Trollmother"][i:56d1bb1c89]å[/i:56d1bb1c89], an a with a little ring above sounds like o in Tor.[/quote:56d1bb1c89]

More like the ending sound in Bordeaux, no?[/quote:56d1bb1c89]

We're speaking German here, Kapten! Tor (tower) has a perfekt å-sound, which of course aux has too.[/quote:56d1bb1c89]

Ooops, thought you meant the norse thunder god.
  13. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:66ef412907="Katcal"]So in fact, it's exactly like the first o sound un Bordeaux. :lol:[/quote:66ef412907]

Hehe true. :)
  14. Hsing Moderator

[quote:f9dd3b22d2="mowgli"][quote:f9dd3b22d2="Hsing"]and some always considered it to be insoired by the Russian "Malinka"... [/quote:f9dd3b22d2]

Why would anyone name their daughter after a raspberry? :p[/quote:f9dd3b22d2]

It's still a cuter nickname than "beanie" or "sweety"... "My little Raspberry!" :)
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

I like raspberries. That's a great name !
    **resists the temptation to start a new thread to discover how to say raspberry in every language on earth.**