Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

"I've reminded the prime minister -- the American people, Mr. Prime Minister, over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States and America would have a close relationship."
    -- George W. Bush
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

I absolutely couldn't agree more :D
  3. spiky Bar Wench

and I add to your bushism with one of my own:

"I think—tide turning—see, as I remember—I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of—it's easy to see a tide turn—did I say those words?"

Never let this man near water.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:e25cff9b5e="spiky"]Never let this man near water.[/quote:e25cff9b5e]
    Or feed him after midnight. Especially not pretzels.
  5. drunkymonkey New Member

Or put him in charge of the most powerful country of the Western World.

Oh....
  6. spiky Bar Wench

Well we can still withhold pretzels. There is still hope! As long as there are no pretzels we may still survive!
  7. Angua_rox New Member

[quote:c832c7a2c0="drunkymonkey"]Or put him in charge of the most powerful country of the Western World.

Oh....[/quote:c832c7a2c0]

#laughs and very nearly sprays her drink everywhere#
  8. Mynona Member

Or the everlasting

"We have to decrease our import since most of it comes from other countries."
  9. TheJackal Member

I get some peace knowing he can only have 8 years in office. In Ireland it's a max of 2 terms of 7 years!

Unless of course, Bush manages to start World War 3. Roosevelt was American president from 1933-1945 because they didn't want to change president during the War.
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

actually, it was because FDR that the republicans pushed through a constitutional ammendment to limit a president to two consecutive terms.
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Two of my favourite Bushisms:

"The trouble with the French is they have no word for 'entrepreneur'."

"Natural gas is hemispheric, and the reason I like to call it hemispheric is that it's a product which can be found in our neighbourhoods."
  12. TheJackal Member

[quote:44666c24c0="Garner"]actually, it was because FDR that the republicans pushed through a constitutional ammendment to limit a president to two consecutive terms.[/quote:44666c24c0]

Interesting. Shows my ignorance on that point.
  13. Ba Lord of the Pies

Now, now, the entrepreneur bit predates the Bush presidency by quite a bit. It's been previously attached to Al Gore and Dan Quayle.
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm sure half the bushisms pasted out are urban legends.
  15. Orrdos God

I've got a daily Bushisim calender that I got at christmas.

The best one I've seen so far, goes something like:

Tour guide: this lake can often be used by fishermen etc

Bush: A submarine could take this place out
  16. Garner Great God and Founding Father

rinso, let's assume that's true - though i don't share your view - if only half of the bushisms published are authentic, then that's still staggering. there are news paper columns that have published one a day since he was first campaigning, and never missed a day or repeated a quote.

if even half of those are legit, that's still a monumental measure of stupidity.
  17. redneck New Member

I would say that if they are written by a reputable paper then it would be accurate. The reason is that slander can come with a very hefty fine and in some cases a prison term.
  18. QuothTheRaven New Member

Bush: Make the pie higher.
    What the fuck does this mean?
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

I'm with Garner on this one, I mean have you listened to the speeches he makes ? any one of them has at least one good bushism in it, if there's any manipulation in the whole thing, it may just be that the guys who write his speeches add some in to keep the legend going... but I don't even believe in that, he really has a natural talent...

Now I can easily imagine that some quotes that are floating around the net are mistakenly reported to be bushisms when someone else said them or made them up, but like redneck said, anyone publishing it on a serious website or in a paper/book would risk getting sued...
  20. Maljonic Administrator

For libel though, not slander if it's written down or published somewhere. It's only slander if you say it. I think defamation is the umbrella term that ecompasses both.

Anyway, I think with the number of silly things he's said, you'd have a hard time sifting through them all to prove that he [i:170f822392]never[/i:170f822392] said one of them. :)
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

"I think -- tide turning -- see, as I remember --I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of -- it's easy to see a tide turn -- did I say those words?"
    -- George W. Bush, asked if the tide is turning in Iraq

as quoted on the Doonesbury website.
  22. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:f3a8384d59="redneck"]I would say that if they are written by a reputable paper then it would be accurate. The reason is that slander can come with a very hefty fine and in some cases a prison term.[/quote:f3a8384d59]

Heheheheheheheh!

Generally, if it's a small thing, then the person in question won't bother with it. If Bush sued a newspaper over a false soundbite, or even issued a press release saying it wasn't true, he would look small and petty. Or pettier, at least. What often happens is that a smaller publication will gather up the quotes. They're small, they don't have a huge research department, and they don't mind so much if a little white lie or two get through their net, so long as it doesn't really damage the paper's credibility. Then these will get picked up by a larger paper. The larger paper will assume the quotes are genuine, on the basis that if they aren't, they can blame it on the smaller paper.

This is why one can find the same quote attributed to Dan Quayle, Al Gore, and George W. Bush.

That said, Dubya has said some monumentally stupid things in his time, and does so with more regularity than an elderly great dane on metamucil. Which makes it even more astounding that people bother taking old quotes and putting them in his mouth, when the truth is much more damning.