7 Wonders

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Faerie, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Faerie New Member

Vote for the new 7 Wonders

You can vote for your favorite wonders from a list of 21 and you can even get a certificate that says what your favorite wonder is. If you're really ambitious you can become a National Champion and once you get 100 people to vote you get promoted to National Ambassador. If you bring in the most votes you get to be a special guest in Lisbon, Portugal when they announce the new 7 wonders on 07/07/07.
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I assumed at first that these would be modern 'wonders' like skyscrapers and so on. I'm interested that they're trying to make an updated list of ancient wonders.
  3. Hsing Moderator

Didn't it say in the flash intro that every building/ site finished before the year 2000 is eligible?
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Yes, they did, and some are in fact quite modern - such as Sidney Opera House and the Eiffel Tower. But the majority are ancient, such as the Pyramids at Giza or the city of Angkor Wat.
  5. Orrdos God

Maybe we should all post about what 7 we'd choose. Just for fun!
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Geez, just 7 ? Without even looking at the site I could probably list about 30... the "modern" world is just full of them, there are so many I could never choose just 7 !
  7. Maljonic Administrator

I like buildings by Phillipe Stark, and a few in Rotterdam and that funny egg-shaped thing in London... and the Petronas Towers and... and... and.
  8. KaptenKaries New Member

I like the Stockholm City Hall, where they hold the Nobel Prize banquet. I don't know if I'd call it a wonder though. I haven't seen that many buildings I'd call a wonder.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

10. Katcal I Aten't French !

11. Electric_Man Templar

Isn't it for buildings finished for 2000* as well? That building is by no means finished!

*source: Hsing 2007
  12. Lengra New Member

Dunno. Kremlin is great and so is Christ Redeemer. And they are comparatively new.
  13. Maljonic Administrator

14. Katcal I Aten't French !

True, very true... they are planning on maybe finishing it in 2030 if I remember correctly. I must say that having seen the building, and knowing the time it has taken so far, it's no compliment to spanish builders to say it's still not finished...
  15. spiky Bar Wench

Fair cop to the builders. Its an extremely complex building where everything has to be done by hand...and they didn't do anything on it for ages because they simply didn't have the money. The fact they came back to it and are planning to complete it at all is amazing.

From the website it seems the Sydney Opera House is the newest (completed late 70s). I don't know about modern marvels but it was unusually innovative of the government at the time to try it. Is that worth kudos?
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think the Sidney Opera House is a remarkable building and recognised world-wide as a major landmark, but I don't know that I'd call it a wonder. I thought the whole point about the original seven wonders was that they made you think, "Wow, how did they do that?"
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Calling all units, we have a typo alert, calling all units...
  18. Hsing Moderator

19. plaid New Member

i think they should stick this one on the list.

[IMG]

or this one... even though it was completed just a smidge too late the second time:

[IMG]

otherwise i really don't know which i'd pick... there are a lot of cool ones on their list.

[edit, sorry the pictures are huge]
  20. Bradthewonderllama New Member

I'm all about the ancienty wonders. The pyramids, Machu Pichu, the sphinx, Heck, it would be difficult for us to build the pyramids today.

Anything modern, I suppose Mount Rushmore... I guess that I'm partial to stone.
  21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Dammit! That's not even a typo (I make a fair amount of those), it's a misspelling! (And I've made fewer of those than you can count on your hands since I was 12.)

I always get Sydney wrong, then have to check and correct myself, but I was in a hurry today. Sorry, Sydney-dwellers!
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

wow, stunning pictures plaid, where and what are they ?

I must say I agree with Brad, the most amazing things (as opposed to beautiful or stunning) are the ones that were built without all the modern tools and materials, or that used particularly advanced techniques for their time, and so-on... The word wonder does imply something that's amazing, so I think I'd go that way too, but still, 7 is such a small number...
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

God, Grace...a typo! I can't believe this. I thought I knew you!
  24. plaid New Member

the first is the latter-day saint temple in salt lake city. it took forty years to build and is today a symbol of church headquarters/zion/the promised land/all that great stuff.

the second is the temple in nauvoo. back in 1840 the original was built by the saints but abandoned and burned by mobs when the saints migrated west. this newer version was finished in 2002. it is beautiful, isn't it?

anyway, they're both rather significant buildings to me in light of my crazy religion, so that's why i'd call them wonderful.
  25. mr_scrub New Member

What is exactly your "crazy religion" ?
  26. spiky Bar Wench

Dammit! That's not even a typo (I make a fair amount of those), it's a misspelling! (And I've made fewer of those than you can count on your hands since I was 12.)

I always get Sydney wrong, then have to check and correct myself, but I was in a hurry today. Sorry, Sydney-dwellers![/quote]

I thought the first time was a typo, but the second (AFTER I spelt it right) is just a bullseye for ridicule. So...

*ridicule*

Now thats out of the way the important thing to remember is that Sydney has 2 Ys, Y would you come here? and Y would you live anywhere else?

No one said Sydney-siders weren't biased.
  27. Faerie New Member

I agree with Brad and Katcal about the great things built without modern tools that are a wonder. I know they had a large list of possible wonders and narrowed it down to 77 I think and those were narrowed down to the 21 you can vote for. I wondered why Mount Rushmore didn't make the final list. I know some people think that the Pyramids should be automatically included and shouldn't be subject to the vote. If they didn't make it on the list I would be surprised. In addition to the Pyramids I voted for the Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, the Great Wall of China, Petra, and Stonehenge.
  28. plaid New Member

29. Katcal I Aten't French !

30. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Exactly what I mean by, "Wow, how did they do that?"

We know how the Sydney Opera House was built. That's impressive but not particularly wondrous. But the Pyramids... People are still arguing about them, and others on the list. That's what makes them stand out for me.
  31. Maljonic Administrator

I don't know though, I think that bridge that spans the Golden Gate of San Francisco Bay is pretty amazing... and stuff like the Channel Tunnel would be quite inspiring to walk through, considering where you would be - imaging if it's still there in a few hundred years and people can walk through it like an old monument - it will seem quite odd that we went to so much trouble to dig such a massive hole to run something as primitive as a train through.
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well quite, they enter the category of "using techniques or materials ahead of their time", innovating structures that took a lot of thinking and a fair amount of trial and error to get right. The Eiffel Tower and the viaduct at Millau are both amazing and beautiful things, in a very modern way (the viaduct doesn't count for the voting though, it's to recent...) I've been to, under and up on both, and they are really breathtaking...
  33. Pepster New Member

:)
    ----