Your Avatar

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Venerico, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Plugger New Member

this tis just one for the gallary...i couldnt find my others
  2. Human New Member

I actually just found it. I think death is one of the funniest things that can happen... so much potential for humor. I googled "Funny grave."
  3. Sir_Vaims New Member

My avatar speaks for itself. i chose it because i like Death! (the character that is :) )
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Human, your avatar rocks... err... stones... grave stones... humm...

Ever see Dead like me ? a great series about death, with some delicious grim humour...
  5. Hsing Moderator

Test...
    Although I am sure it's hopeless...
  6. Hsing Moderator

Can anyone besides me see anything but a blurry grey... something?

I'll leave it for now. But only because I am too tired to change it. Tomorrow, I'll return to my coffee cup avatar...
  7. Maljonic Administrator

It's clearly a cat sword fighting with a flying kipper!
  8. Hsing Moderator

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
    No it's not...

:D
  9. sleepy_sarge New Member

Sword fighting eh?

The original

[IMG]
  10. KaptenKaries New Member

Hehe just saw yer new avatar there sarge, it's bloody fantastic.
  11. scif1girl New Member

Mine is Goku from Saiyuki, licking cake off his fingers. I thought the hat and his wink were adorable yet not lacking in attitude.
  12. Sir_Gawain New Member

He is adorable. Though he looks a bit irritated to me... Your Avater represents you, you know... I think you have been labeled with 'cute' in my mind now, until you say or do something to prove me wrong. And I've seen all your posts, and the label still stands. :yawinkle:
  13. scif1girl New Member

I never thought it possible to be irritated while eating cake, as the world outside your tastebuds generally ceases to exist, but I guess the wink could be taken for a squint.
  14. Sir_Gawain New Member

I dunno... I was pretty irritated while eating cake when my brother jumped on my back, and I sort of gasp-coughed and... erm, it was messy.
  15. Hsing Moderator

Test...

Grrr.
    Welcome my invisible avatar.
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's the most bueatiful thing i've never seen.
  17. Maljonic Administrator

A true work of Zen art.
  18. Hsing Moderator

Lovely, eh?

By which you are prooving that an avatar can exist, even if no one can see it.

I still decided to put up something more mundane.

And I found a new trick - "How to re-size your avatar so that it's perfectly designed for uploading on this board."
    For some reasons, I've had huge problem to creata a 10kb avatar that was smaller than a pinhead. I uploaded the pic I wanted to resize into my gallery on this board, saved the thumbnail that shows in the gallery, and now I could theoretically even delete the pic from the gallery again and upload the thumbnail, as not to waste space. Phew.

There's probably an easier way to do this, but hey.
  19. Hsing Moderator

Forget it. It doesn't work! The URLs, creating a 10kb avatar that's not as tiny as a mouse-eye.... Nothing. I am too stupid for this.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

On another board I roam around, I saw a sticky with a quick tutorial on "how to create your avatar for dummies" maybe something like this could be of help to people like Hsing ? (not implying that Hsing or anyone except Rinso is a dummy, just that some things in this world are not always obvious until you have done them, and even then sometimes need explaining...)
  21. Hsing Moderator

I had a beautiful avatar! I just linked it, but that doesn't work anymore, either. Mal, could I create a set of avatars for the boards?
  22. Maljonic Administrator

Yes, of course you can. :)
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

OOooooooh, I like that idea !!! It must be said that the avatars in the current gallery are somewhat... humm, abstract... Not that abstract isn't good, just don't look at them all on the same page, it gives you a headache. May I also volunteer for avatar-hunting ? Nothing as simple and crass as ripping off Pterry book illustrations, but we could try finding fun, apropriate avatars for this board, and giving people something neat to choose from if they don't have their own, couldn't we ?
  24. Hsing Moderator

I thought of some interstellar motives from the site I recently linked, a few PTerry-motives of course (but nothing to encourage people to posting "in character"), a few self drawn things and things from friends and artists who gave their permission.
    Concerning the size, I'll just take a close look at those avatars who are already in the gallery.
  25. Rincewind Number One Doorman

*Throws a hedgehog at Katcals eyes.*

Or Something.
  26. Hsing Moderator

I've got about 50 now. Where do I put them?
  27. tanatie New Member

What can I say, Havelock is one of the most brilliant (and brilliantly written) characters ever...
  28. MrsLibrarian New Member

Mine is obvious enough. Being married to one.
  29. But_anyway New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I picked my avatar(which I use in other boards, too), because basically I'm a gentle and caring person. :)

Uncle But
  30. Maljonic Administrator

Hello But_anyway. :)
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Lordi !!! :D

Welcome But_anyway !
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi, But_anyway. That's pretty scary! Welcome to the boards. :)
  33. JAK Member

My avatar is the head of one of my favourite creations.

I always felt that Clarecraft’s figure of Vimes was wrong. He did the Dirty Harry bit with Lord Mountjoy wearing Sybil's nightie not his uniform. So I converted their figure based on the Kidby illustration on the front of the Watch Diary.

[IMG]
  34. Pixel New Member

Hi, JAK (be careful not to say that on an airliner!) and welcome - the miniatures site looks interesting for when I have more time (I have a play to stage-manage with opening night next Tuesday). One minor quibble - your figurine and avatar appear to show Vimes smoking a cigarette - Vimes smokes cigars!
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I thought he had been known to smoke cigarettes too?

JAK, I seem to remember perusing your site before, several years ago. Has it been around that long, or am I thinking of something else?
  36. Pixel New Member

I'm not sure - there is a reference to Lady Sybil getting him onto cigars to replace alcohol, and cigarettes are more usually associated with wizards - I am sure there is someone out there who will come up with a reference to Vimes and cigarettes if there is one!
  37. drunkymonkey New Member

My avatar is the evil Murray, as seen in Monkey Island. He's my favourite video game character, purely because of his hilarious speechs on world domination, and the fact that he's a vunerable character that wants to take it all out on others.
  38. JAK Member

My sites been going for a few years so hope that you will have seen at some time.
    Decided to join your forum partly because of the Boardanian section with a view to bouncing ideas about figures around; however having read some of the topics I get the impression that figures are not used in your RPGs.

As to the Vimes figure he usually smokes Pantweed's Slim Panatellas cigars. I was informed that a panatela cigar was cigarette sized and became confused, Not got round to correcting it yet, although if painted in brown it wouldn’t show up as well.
  39. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

JAK, we don't use miniatures for online roleplay, for obvious reasons, but Garner and I certainly use them for roleplay with people who are in the same room as us (as opposed to those on a different continent, for example). I think we also have several Warcraft fans. So feel free to start a thread down there or what have you.
  40. Hsing Moderator

Yes, do so! I'd like to see more.
  41. Hsing Moderator

My avatar has dissapeared...
    Test...
  42. pyanfaruk New Member

May I present...(roll of drums, fanfare a la Shaun Ogg)
    The Great Old One himself, celebrating the season of goodwill!
    8)
  43. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

44. Hsing Moderator

Ha! There are certain accessoires which make everybody look cute... almost.
  45. mr_scrub New Member

When I was looking for an avatar i wanted a picture of Death as mr. scrub but i realised it wouldn't work because nobody could see him so I got the Canting crew instead. I wish it included Altogether Andrews.
  46. mr_scrub New Member

And WHAT is "The Great Old One"
  47. Angua_rox New Member

48. Hsing Moderator

Cthulhu. Wiki "Cthulhu Mythos".
  49. Angua_rox New Member

I didn't really get that. But I'll reread it later, because not getting things irritates me.

Thank you for the tip Hsing. :D
  50. mr_scrub New Member

I have a suggestion for Buzzfloyd's avatar since she seems to change it every day. A traditional Nativity scene with star, cow and baby except with that odd face on the baby.
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

He's a she ;)
  52. mr_scrub New Member

That was stupid cuz I already knew that i'll edit.
  53. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It's roughly every week at the moment, Mr Scrub! Thanks for the suggestion - if you'd like to make it, there's a thread in the Boardania forum called 'Make your own Buzzfloyd avatar' which has the original picture available for editing. The avatar's name is Syntax, by the way. :)
  54. KaptenKaries New Member

Is Syntax a he, she or it?
  55. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Syntax has been known to don costumes implying each of the above.
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ah, so he/she/it is spanish, eh ? Haha !
  57. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Well, my avatar is taken from a 2nd century AD fresco of the Roman god Mithras, from a Mithraeum in Italy. I chose it, really, because of my board name - Greco-Latin for 'Mithras the Cosmic Ruler' (so modest! ;) ), which in turn I chose because my interest in Mithraism, which dates from school days (I did one of my coursework pieces for A-level R.E. on the religion), has recently been revived thanks to my studies at Newcastle University - the Museum of Antiquities up here has a rather nice full sized reconstruction of the Carrawburgh Mithraeum.
  58. Maljonic Administrator

Well that's reassuringly well thought out, which is quite unusual for avatar choices, and name choises sometimes. I thought your name was going to turn out to be based on some kind of fantasy based magical armour or something like that. :)
  59. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

I'm glad you approve :)
  60. Delphine New Member