Yearly Must-reads/views etc.

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by roisindubh211, Dec 15, 2005.

1. roisindubh211 New Member

Just got to wondering, are there any movies or books that y'all have to watch or read every year or something similar?

For instance, I re-read "The Dark is Rising" every winter, its not december without it...
    And Its A Wonderful Life gets its one showing...always forget how much I like that movie.
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Hogfather every christmas....though I read most pterry every year. I just finshed hogfather yesterday. A great book.

I've never seen It's a wonderful life. :oops:
  3. Perdita New Member

You've never seen it?

It's a great movie- rent it now.

And that's an order.
  4. koshu New Member

I really dont hav a choice but every year wen im with my dad, we always hav to watch every christmass show there is. I swear he is in love with "Santa"

[quote:e5676e2be5="Rincewind"]Hogfather every christmas....though I read most pterry every year. I just finshed hogfather yesterday. A great book.

I've never seen It's a wonderful life. :oops:[/quote:e5676e2be5]
    I also like to read Hogfather around christmas time, it gives me a chance to think...... about wat im not sure, cause thinking is not one of my strong points, but I still think :lol: :idea:
  5. fairyliquid New Member

I used to have loads of cool holiday rouines....

i would have the pantomine every christmas eve and would have my dad read night before christmas before going to bed .

Unfortunately I've had such odd christmasses lately all traditions are down the plug hole.

I'm even going to miss all the good movies on the telly :(
  6. Hermia New Member

I don't really have anything like that nowadays. I used to always watch "The Snowman" but even that has its sell-by-date. I'd love to see "A Charlie Brown Christmas", which I am told is the American must-see, although as far as I'm aware it's never been on TV here!
  7. redneck New Member

My family will usually watch "White Christmas." It's been a family favorite for years now. We also usually watch "It's a Wonderful Life" as well and my borther-in-law is making "A Christmas Story" pretty popular with the family.
  8. TamyraMcG Active Member

Jon just loves it when the guy calls the furnace a "mundane noodle"
  9. spiky Bar Wench

My christmas ritual is to hang out with family and drink... every year. Not very enlightened.
  10. Andalusian New Member

We put one of my Dad's G guage model trains on a circular track around the bottom of the christmas tree. The wagons get filled with lollies, which we then risk life and limb to grab as the train goes around the track. Derailments are a regular occurance.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:044f127668="Rincewind"]Hogfather every christmas....though I read most pterry every year. I just finshed hogfather yesterday. A great book.

I've never seen It's a wonderful life. :oops:[/quote:044f127668]

Nope, me neither, and I have no idea where I could find it here !

Hogfather is a good idea, hadn't thought of it myself... I definitely need a pick up, I've just finished the Catcher in the Rye, and I don't no if it's really a lame boring book or if it's just the apalling french translation (have NEVER seen a translation that bad... :shock: ) but man do I need to read something else !!

I do enjoy the snowman, if and when I can see it, but I must admit that since we've moved to France, we don't really have any "media" traditions. That's probably 'cos French TV sucks... :roll:
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh ! Oh ! I've got one !!! It's so recent I didn't think of it as a tradition, but I must say, I do love to watch Love actually at christmas time... It reminds me of christmas in the UK and how special it is... :( How come I can still get horribly homesick even after having lived here over half my life ?
  13. Hex New Member

We have so many ritual Christmas movies in my family. It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas and The Muppet Christmas Carol among them.
    We also make and decorate cookies every year. This year I'm having a gaggle of friends over to decorate and bake cookies. It will be incredibly fun.

As for other yearly traditions, I like to read Lord of the Rings every year. I'm behind on it right now since we moved and all, but I think that and Walden will be my Christmas Vacation read.

We also go out for Chinese food every year on New years eve. Because my family loves Chinese food. :)