Webcomics - your favorite

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I wish to expand my daily list of webcomics to check. I am open to suggestions, provided that no one suggests "User Friendly", for which I will stab and stab mightily.

One of my favorite 'web comics' isn't actually a 'web comic', as it started in print publication. It's Bob the Angry Flower, available at angryflower.com. Updates on Fridays.
  2. Toaf New Member

Questionable Content!

Romance, indie rock, and fun, all updated five days a week in glorious technicolour.

www.questionablecontent.net

Saccharissa will back me up on this one!
  3. Dane New Member

My favourite has got to be www.VGcats.com

I heard someone talk about it on a thread in the old HP site, I cheaked it out and I' m hooked! I love it.

updated once a week
  4. sleepy_sarge New Member

5. Cynical_Youth New Member

I usually check www.dilbert.com at least once a week (they have a new one every day).
  6. Hex New Member

7. chrisjordan New Member

8. drunkymonkey New Member

agreed, nice series, but it's for gamers.

not exactly web comics, but a flash series, Weebls Stuff - News

look at the weebl and bob episodes.
  9. Dane New Member

I'm considering buying the chocobo inbreader shirt, the Dr.hobo shirt "theres a spoon in my ear!" (hehe classic :D ) and the rat flail shirt...all from VGcats. OOh so many shirts so little money...dam I need to get a job and stop spending my money on CD's that I can download...

I'm also after a shirt I saw in a Metal magazine (possibly Kerrang). It was black and in white writeing said "to the kitchen woman!"OOH I soooo want that shirt!
  10. Dane New Member

OOh thats a good one aswell. Has anyone seen saladfingers? that toon is seriously fucked up yet soo funny.

I also read white ninja sometimes. it may only be a crappy pen drawn cartoon but it's funny
  11. drunkymonkey New Member

Burnt Face Man :: The Official Website
    made by the person who made salad fingers, which is such a great series
  12. chrisjordan New Member

Toaf has....feelings for Salad Fingers.
  13. drunkymonkey New Member

14. Toaf New Member

chris! How could you!
  15. hermes New Member

16. Toaf New Member

Oh, I love Bunny! It's so plotless but excellent. And the art is so weird.
  17. Saccharissa Stitcher

18. Electric_Man Templar

Work shall be fun next week, all these comics to look at...
  19. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Men in hats!
  20. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I have finished Questionable Content, and it shall now be in my bookmarks.

My bookmarks of webcomics/comics available on the web, more or less in the order that I check them (on days when there's anything to check):

Dilbert (daily, print strip)
    Get Fuzzy (daily, print strip)
    Ghastly's Ghastly Comic (sundays, adult only)
    Nuklear Power/8-bit Theater (tues/thurs/sat)
    Penny Arcade (mon/wed/fri)
    PvP Online (daily, i think. Kurtz fails to understand that other people's comics, jokes, and ideas belong to them, and he should not use them without permission. also he cannot draw, and can only photoshop. still, worth a read most of the time)
    Real Life Comics (Weekdays. getting a bit crap as the server has issues and dean's lost his tentative hold on 'funny', but oh well.)
    Queen of Wands (daily, reruns with commentary. this was a great serries while it lasted)
    Shaw Island (mon/wed/fri, one of the best comics EVER)
    Sexy Losers (irregularly updated at best. adults only. drawn by someone named Clay with the intials CG... not me though. really.)
    Something Positive (daily, one of the best comics EVER)
    The New Adventures of Bobbin (theoretically updated on thursdays. not really that great, but sometimes worth a laugh)
    Bob the Angry Flower (fridays, one of the best comics EVER)
    the K-Chronicles/TH(ink) (both updated weekly, not sure when. some might find it racist due to its afroamerican centered focus and often political content)
    Ctrl+Alt+Del (mon/wed/fri, i think... might be weekdays)
    Two Lumps (mon/wed/fri, I think)
    Midnight Macabre (theoretically weekdays, currently irregular)
    Weebls Stuff (irregular)
    Digger (tues/thurs. a pay-to-view comic by an amazing artist. check out her website for groovy stuff)
    Questionable Content (weekdays. too much focus on indie crap, not enough nudity, otherwise hillarious)

Flem Comics 2.0 is on hiatus so I don't check it anymore
  21. Andalusian New Member

22. TamyraMcG Active Member

Weebl and Bob, Weebl and Bob!!!
  23. Tephlon Active Member

Sorry, calling bullshit on that. Kurtz can most definately draw. He then cleans it up in Illustrator, and by now has an enormous library of characters and poses, which he re-uses all the time, which is why some people think he can't draw. His photoshop skills, meanwhile, are crap.
    He has a good grasp of popular culture, but I agree, the writing is not the best. Funny 3 out of 5 times a week.

Dean has had server issues since day one. :)
    I like the current "Lost in the car" storyline. Dean has the same "He can't draw" problem as Kurtz. Updates are very irregular, but he has nice jokes sometimes.

Now these should be added to your daily trawl:
    - Websnark. Not a comic but about comics. Mostly. Sometimes. Eric Burns will also cater to Buzzfloyd. He has "Strunk and White"-t-shirts...
    - Gossamer Commons. Well written comic by Eric Burns (The websnark guy).
    - Yirmumah. Kind of crude humour, but DJ Coffman has the skills to pull it off. Lately the main reason of being seems to be to piss off people. Reading this less and less.
    - The Pet Professional. You must have seen it at PVP. It's well drawn, well written, and it's funny. About a hired killer for pets. (Killing pets, not hired by pets.) The site sucks, so go HERE for the first comic.
    - Irregular Comic.,
    Geeky web"comic", using Lego figures and roleplaying figurines (The author insists he can't draw). Crazy and funny. Don't forget to read the footnotes.
    - Squidi/A Modest Destiny/The Starship Destiny. He's closing the site, but the comics are available as Zips. The author has very long toes.
    - Sinfest.You have about 5 years of archives to go through. Brilliant stuff. I'm particuculary fond of the dog and cat comics.
    - Schlock Mercenary. A "comic space opera". Howard Tayler has his SciFi Facts in place. Everything is backed up up by research or storylines. about 5 years worth of archives. Worth it.
    - WulffMorgenthaler. if you like bizarre stuff, this is the comic to read. Can be incredibly funny.
    - Goats. This one goes of on so many tangents that it's easier to read from the beginning. It's lost me, but it still is GOOD.
    - Wapsi Square. Incredible comic about some girls in Minneapolis. Good in big doses, because storylines can go on for a bit. I'm in love with Monica. Start from the beginning.
    - Shortpacked. By the guy from Roomies. About a guy that works in a toy store. Fun.
  24. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Kurtz can't draw. it's not the greatest crime in the world to lean on photoshop like it's the only crutch in the world, which is why Frank Miller is not in jail after his Dark Knight graphic novels, but at least Miller can actually DRAW (and paint!)

Kurtz, on the other hand, manages a few static poses that he photoshops like it's going out of style.

yes he can draw well enough to get those static poses, but Schulz never once used a computer or a hired hand to do any line or lettering in Peanuts. now THAT is drawing.

it's also grossly unfair to compare kurtz to schultz, but oh well.

my biggest beef with Kurtz is his outright "It's okay if I do it" theft of other people's stuff. Do you remember his strips after the first Lord of the Rings movie, the "What if LotR was like an online game/message board?"

I had a classmate who wrote one of the jokes kurtz used for that. He was decent enough to admit that he stole them all off a particular forum. The thing is, he never asked. It didn't even occur to him that someone else might object to him using their joke. In the end, he got lucky because everyone was a big enough fanboy/fangirl that they didn't mind.

Remember Kurtz's "guest comic week" where he drew all the strips in an attempt to copy the other people's style? And signed THEIR names to them? He was genuinely surprised that the other artists were pissed off about that.

PvP can be quite funny, and once a month or so Kurtz draws something new to photoshop into it, but it's the simple "Ohh, I like that, so I will take it. Why not, I'm Scott Fucking Kurtz" mentality that I really have a problem with.

as for real life...

i dunno, sometimes i think Dean's *sad* geeky rather than *funny* geeky. there are stretches were the strip works like that. but i think i've also moved out of his target audience demographic, so that could just be me.
  25. Toaf New Member

Too much indie crap? :shock:
  26. Orrdos God

We all know what everyones favourite comic is though, don't we?!

:)

My list:

Men In hats (may it rest in peace)
    Gluemeat
    Chopping Block
    Ctrl alt del
    Weebl and bob
    Boxjam
    Queen Of Wands
    Penny Arcade
    8 bit theatre
    the longest and most pointless adventure in the history of long and pointless adventures
    We are robots (an infrequently updated, but fucking hilarious set of animations)
  27. Garner Great God and Founding Father

oh, good call with We Are Robots. i don't check it because it updates about once a decade, but there are some nice little cartoons there.
  28. Orrdos God

Gothbots due to be uploaded at the end of the month :)
  29. Hsing Moderator

I shouldn't be looking at this thread again.
    It ate so much of my lifetime yesterday...
  30. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I know I introduced Doors to Boxjam's Doodle, but surely I've shown it to you before, Garner? Boxjam is one of the best comics on the net, in my opinion.

I'm going to have a great time looking at all of these. Thanks, guys!
  31. Tephlon Active Member

32. aegron New Member

explosm is one I check on a daily basis. And I get garfield by email.
  33. Rincewind Number One Doorman

34. Garner Great God and Founding Father

35. Mimiru New Member

I'm into a lot of video game and anime stuff.

www.megatokyo.com -- Megatokyo. Awesome, AWESOME comic.
    ghostcat.cycomics.com -- It's really funny if you read it from the beginning.
    www.rpgworldcomic.com -- Hillarious, I'm telling you.
  36. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Megatokyo has some of the most annoying fanboys in webcomics. That's like being TWICE cursed by god.

However, from all I've heard and the little I've seen, Megatokyo is quite deserving of some of it's fanatacisim.

though from all I've seen (admittedly, very little), I'm still not sure if Piro is supposed to be a dude or a chick
  37. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I am sad, for I have caught up with Order of the Stick. I like being able to sit down and read a comic all in one go, rather than once every couple of days or whatever.
  38. Tephlon Active Member

Buzzfloyd:

Did you start on Wapsi Square yet?

I think you'll like it.
  39. Delphine New Member

Haiku Circus

This is a comic I found at uni, while boredly researching Haiku for my creative writing course. It's wicked.

This one at the top of the page is the first one I saw, and my favourite :)

Edited to change the colour of the link, after looking to see how Teplon managed it.
  40. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm up to date on Wapsi Square now. I need to find *another* new one!
  41. Toaf New Member

Did someone already mention this?

Wigu!
  42. Cynical_Youth New Member

43. Galaphile New Member

44. Tephlon Active Member

45. QuothTheRaven New Member

What about Tripod.
  46. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm already up to date on Tripod! I even wrote a small percentage of it.

I have now completed Questionable Content.
  47. Toaf New Member

By the same guy who does Questionable Content:

Indie Tits

It's about BIRDS, before you ask.
  48. sleepy_sarge New Member

Ohh ok, not a list of bands then.....
  49. Tephlon Active Member

50. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Huzzah! Thanks, Tephlon. You recommend good comics. :)
  51. Hsing Moderator

I like Wapsi Square a lot... although I can' even quite put a finger on the why. I like the drawing style, and the characters, I guess.
  52. Dane New Member

I have spent the last three nights reading all the Questionable content comics. It was well worth it :D
  53. Tephlon Active Member

This one is nice too. Just started though and updates once a week only.

Stuff Sucks
  54. Toaf New Member

This one isn't strictly a webcomic, but it gets updated every Sunday, and the archives are well worth reading. (if a bit weird)

Perry Bible Fellowship
  55. Tephlon Active Member

I had lost that one! Thanks Toaf!
    Great stuff...
  56. Tephlon Active Member

This one is funny!

Daily gagstrip about a guy that works in a library. Sounds dull? It's not!
  57. Cynical_Youth New Member

Great link, Tephlon! Funny comic and the archives are huge.
  58. Electric_Man Templar

Heheh, I'm hooked already, and I've only got through one month of the 3 and a half years worth of comics...

Ah well, there goes work for the week.
  59. Tephlon Active Member

Time to take down your productivity another notch:

Gods and Undergrads

I've just started but it looks great.
  60. Electric_Man Templar

Remind me next week ;)