The Boardanian Chain Diary

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Hsing Moderator

I had a small idea in the tradition of last year's present swaps on the board. Hit me over the head with a fish if you think it's nonsense.

Basically, a blank sketch book gets sent to a number of people; each of them fills, say, two pages, and sends it to the next one. In the end, once the book is more or less full, we hold a kind of fun auction on board, the winner gets the original and donates the money to the Hurricane Relief foundation.
    Before, though, I scan the thing and we put it on some site as a downloadable pdf file so everyone can have a look at the final result. Get the idea?

In detail: Those willing to participate pm or mail me their postal adresses. I'll create a list of participants, putting each one near to someone living as close by as possible, to limit the postage fees, or asking the person if it's okay in case the next one on the list lives far away (this migth become necessary when the book is to make it beyond European borders). The list is either included in the book, or I pm everyone who he/she is to send the book to.

People fill a page, or two, with whatever they like - an original tripod sketch, a sketch of whatever, a poem, fotos they've taken, the report of a day in their lives, a collage, whatever, Boardanian as well as non-boardanian stuff.
    I want to keep this as broad as possible to make sure many people feel they can contribute, even when they don't feel as artists or stuck in a creative hole, or haven't been around long enough to be able to provide board related stuff. Friends and relatives who like the idea should be allowed to participate. If the book gets stuck somewhere, I will see it as my personal duty to cyberstalk that person till the end of time.

I also think we should keep a space free in the book where the stamps should be put, showing they way the think took.

You can tell I'm enthusiastic, can't you?

What do you think?
  2. Cynical_Youth New Member

Seems like a very good idea. I'd definitely want to contribute. :)
  3. mowgli New Member

...hmmmmmm....

All right, I'm in ! :)
  4. OmKranti Yogi Wench

This sounds awfully familiar, weren't we going to do something like this ages ago with the Tripod?

Doors?

Although, I'm sure that with you, Hsing, runnig the deal it will acctually get off the ground this time.

Right Doors?

I'm in.
  5. Electric_Man Templar

Yes, Doors is crap.

I'll allow you the pleasure of viewing two pages of my inanities. If we could schedule it to arrive at a doormencon, then I might be able to avoid postage costs too ;)
  6. Delphine New Member

Yeah, I remember when Doors suggested this. I thought it was a good idea then, and still do. So i'm in.

two whole pages?!? WOW!

Edit ~ Ben has issue when it comes to paying for postage. Evil issues. Oh yes, Benzine, an ellaphant never forgets.

>shakes fist<
  7. Hsing Moderator

8. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'd be glad to participate. Since books get a lower postal rate in the states at least maybe getting a smallish blank book wouldn't be too expensive to ship. Each person could paste the postage from the packaging on the page after the previous person's contribution, or there could be a separate section at the front or the back. It sounds like a fun project, Thanks, Hsing and Doors!
  9. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Hehe...he said: "this time IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!" Caps and everything.
  10. Maljonic Administrator

I'll be in, can pass it on to Marcia too. :)
  11. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Definitely count me in! :) I might even persuade the Great God to put pen to paper too.
  12. Andalusian New Member

I'll probably be able to do it, if its small and everything.
  13. spiky Bar Wench

I'm in... hehe forcing someone to send it half way around the world to poor old XXXX...on the upside for me I can send it in the mail from work :) Dodgy.

Hsing if you don't still have my address let me know and I'll send it again...
  14. Saccharissa Stitcher

No time to elaborate, I am in.
  15. Hsing Moderator

Fine! Then pm me your adresses, or pm me and ask for my email adress.... I'll wait til, say, Tuesday night, and then close the first round and get it ready, and send each of you the adress he/she'd have to send the book to. If it goes smoothly and people crop up and want to join afterwards, I could think of a second round for the book, depending on the number of people.
    It can't be too small though, or people can't really do something creative with their pages -it should at least have the format (though not as many pages :)) of a paperback.
  16. Hsing Moderator

Spiky, is your university adress okay? Because that's the one I've got.
    Also, sooner or later I'll need all your postal adresses, because we can hardly mail the thing around, as well as your names (a few of you have pm'ed me your postal adresses, but unfortunately without your names, whom I do not know all yet.)
    :D
    It must be the subconscious fear of being stalked by me...
  17. Tephlon Active Member

I PM'd you!
  18. chrisjordan New Member

19. Delphine New Member

Are you going have a list of who sends it to who? If so, is it possible for you to give me a very rough estimate of when it'll get to me? :oops:

Because I don't know where I'm going to be. I don't want it turning up at uni when I've gone home for a week.

I'll PM you both addresses when I've looked up what they are :roll:
  20. Hsing Moderator

I've made a tentative list of who sends to who; its open to objections though. Treat it as
    a) incomplete, because maybe a few more people want to join
    b) open to objections especially by those people who have to send it to other continents. I'm sure we can work something out.

Here it is:
    Chain Diary... Adress list

1 - Hsing (Germany) would send it to...

2 - CY in the Netherlands, who'd send it to...

3 - Saccharissa
    ...she would send it to...

4 - Lipi in Slovenija, who would send it to...

5 - Maljonic and Marcia
    ...from there, it goes to...

6 - E-Man, to...

7 - Delphine, to...

8 - Chris Jordan, to...

9 - Buzzfloyd and Garner... and here, question to Garner and Buzzfloyd if its okay for you to send it on to the States, to...

10 - Tamyra, from there to...

11 - Mowgli, to....

12 - Om Kranti... to.. (another case of probably high postage costs... so, please object if that is a problem)

13 - Andalusian...in Australia
    ..to...

14 - Spiky
    I chose her to send it all the way from Australia to Portugal because she hinted she could make her university pay the stamps! :)

15 - Tephlon
    ....who would send it from Portugal back to me....

Again, the list is still open!
    And thanks for the response! :D
  21. Hsing Moderator

@Delphine: its a little difficult to estimate the time of arrival, I'd say... Even if we agree on a kind of deadkine for each participant (four days* after the arrival of the book, say, assuming that knowing that you participate, things could be prepared beforehand), we would still not be able to tell how long the postal services take.

We could solve the problem like this: I mail [i:dd011cc7ef]both [/i:dd011cc7ef]adresses to the person on your list and make sure you know that person (as is the case now, as E-Man is the one who'd send you the book if the list remains like it is). When he is ready to post it, he could contact you either on aim or msn, or establish a short mailcontact, and find out where the book should go to at that time - uni adress or holiday adress.

*I expect that to differ a lot, because some people might copy down a poem and get it done within a day, others might want to draw and need longer.
  22. QuothTheRaven New Member

Can I join.
    (My Family is going through Morgage issues right now so is it okay if I have someone in the US.)
  23. Trollmother New Member

I want to participate too!
  24. Orrdos God

Yeah, stick me in.

Might as well participate in this one, as it requires no real effort :)
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Such enthusiasm, Doors!

I'm happy to post it to another continent. Postage is relatively cheap here, I think.
  26. Toaf New Member

I'd like to join in too, if it's not too late. I can also ship to another country and/or continent! :)
  27. Cynical_Youth New Member

2nd on the list? Hmm... that is quick.

I need start selecting poems. Is there anyone who would like to help me with that? As in reading a few of my poems and discussing them with me to help me make my choice.
  28. Hsing Moderator

Everyone can still join. There's nothing going to happen over the weekend, and on monday, I'll buy the scrapbook. On Tuesday evening, I'll send everyone the adresses they are to send the book to, before that, I'll anounce the ending of round 1, so to say, and post it first thing wednesday morning.

And CY, I'd like to help you with your poems... mail them! :)
  29. Mynona Member

I'd like to join, only, postage is very expensive because no matter where I send I'll pay the same amount. So if you need anyone to send it somewhere far away I might as well.
  30. Hsing Moderator

I'll put you on early in, then, because the weight might increase when people put things in it...
  31. Cynical_Youth New Member

Thanks. :)

Take your time and mail or PM me when you're finished with them.
  32. Hsing Moderator

Short summary (I'll rather post this for now than send 8 or so pm's):

The current list looks like this:

Hsing
    CY
    Saccharissa
    Lipi
    Mynona
    Trollmother
    Maljonic and Marcia
    E-Man
    Delphine
    Doors
    ChrisJordan
    Buzzfloyd & Garner
    Tamyra
    Mowgli
    Quoth
    Om Kranti
    Andalusian
    Spiky
    Tephlon
    Toaf
    Hsing

I still need the adresses of Mynona, Trollmother, Doors, Mowgli and Delphine

and Andalusian and Quoth pmed me their adresses, nut not their names, which I assume are not Andalusian and Quoth. Also, Maljonic and Marcia, do you share one family name or do you still have your old ones? Just in case.

I know there's still some time left, but I'd rather start tracking you all down now than start tomorrow night, when it gets a little too late in case one of you is offline for a day or two.
    :)
  33. Tephlon Active Member

Woo! I'll get a package from Australia! Yay!
  34. Delphine New Member

Well, because of my address confusion at the moment, when Ben gets the book he's going to text me, and I can give him my address then.
  35. Hsing Moderator

That should work.

To be able to keep track of the thing, it would be nice, anyway, if those receiving it gave a short note in this thread. :)

Also one last thing:
    How should it be called? I called it "Boardanian Chain Diary" in lack of a better expression. What do you say? Any better ideas?

As I want to draw the title bit tonight, before sending it off tomorrow, it would be nice to make sure it doesn't get a stupid name, or misses on a better one.

Also, Andalusian and Trollmother, I included your data, thanks for clacking!

Still missing: Quoth (name only), Mowgli, Mynona, and Doors!
  36. Electric_Man Templar

Boardanian Chain Diary sounds good.

If you've got the drawing skills, I might suggest that you draw a chain around it ;)
  37. fairyliquid New Member

chronicals of bordania

bordanian memorandum

The Unseen Bordania

Board Hoard

how about just plain...'Bordania'

not particualrly imaginative though...
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I like all of those, but only one of them was spelled correctly. They should have been:

Chronicles of Boardania
    Boardanian Memoranda (NB I changed it to the plural)
    The Unseen Boardania
    Board Hoard
    Boardania

The first is my favourite.
  39. spiky Bar Wench

Bourdalicious?

Not spelled correctly because its not a word but you can dance to it :cooler:
  40. mowgli New Member

Boarderash :)

::awaits the upcoming fish-smack::
  41. fairyliquid New Member

Oops. Yes..well…spelling never was my strong suit. Thanks for the corrections though, most appreciated.

Boarderash…oddly enough, I quite like it. Not sure if it’s quite right for the title, but a good idea nonetheless.

Oh and ::smacks mowgli with a fish:: just for the fun of it :)
  42. Tephlon Active Member

"Tales of the Unseen"

"The hitchhikers guide to boardania" (...Okay, pushing it a bit... :))
  43. Faerie New Member

Around Boardania in 80 Days...or however many days it takes.
  44. colonesque10 New Member

Pfft, I remember years ago that there should have been 'Small Gods around the world' too but due to Doors's shiteness it never happened.

If there's still time i'm in. Ideally me, CJ and Delphine should be linked in some way because we only live a few miles apart. :)
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

This is my favourite so far.
  46. Hsing Moderator

Not wanting to cut the discussion (starting it that late was a tactical error of course) I'll leave the title blank and add it later, when the thing comes back to me.

I'll try to create a poll instead...
  47. Hsing Moderator

Welcome in the circle of participants! :)
  48. Hsing Moderator

Okay, I sent everyone the adress they're supposed to send the thing to. Or a reminder, sorts of.
    At least I think so.

I'm really confused by all these nicks and adresses now. If i messes anything up, sent you your own adress, or whatever, please, cry out. Compare what you got with the list.

Also, please write a short message when you get the thing, that would make it possible for us to folloe the progress. :) That would be nice I think.

And yes, i am a day late... :oops: Yesterday was really a ... busy day. I'll tell the story at another time. *sigh*

However... the ball is rolling! :D
    Yay!

Thank you all for taking part, and I wish you creative highs, and luck with the postal services around the world! :)
  49. Hsing Moderator

The current list looks like this:

Hsing
    CY
    Saccharissa
    Lipi
    Mynona
    Trollmother
    Maljonic and Marcia
    E-Man
    Colonesque10
    Delphine
    Doors
    ChrisJordan
    Buzzfloyd & Garner
    Tamyra
    Mowgli
    Quoth
    Om Kranti
    Andalusian
    Spiky
    Tephlon
    Toaf
    Hsing
  50. Maljonic Administrator

Cool, I do think it will be about this time next year at the earliest though by the time everyone's had the book, there will be a whole new charity cause by then after they've completely rebuilt New Orleans in Nevada. :)
  51. Hsing Moderator

With me on their heels, it won't take that long.
    No, it won't! :evil:
    I KNOW WHERE YOU ALL LIVE (or work).
  52. Toaf New Member

How long are we allowed to keep the diary before sending it off?
  53. Electric_Man Templar

54. fairyliquid New Member

thats a tad stingy...go on, make it 12. Give the poor girl a break.
  55. Cynical_Youth New Member

The Chain Diary has just arrived. It looks beautiful, Hsing! :)

Still not quite sure what to put in and I'm hesitant to ruin the pristine pages with my sloppy handwriting, but I'll try to finish my two pages soon.
  56. Maljonic Administrator

That's great, I just opened this thread to ask if this book is on the move yet. :)
  57. QuothTheRaven New Member

*smack*
    Sorry for the delay.
  58. spiky Bar Wench

Can I nominate this as the worlds slowest retort?
  59. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Ella hasn't added her line yet though!
  60. colonesque10 New Member

LAHJ! :D

I actually did by the way Grace. :)