Soul Music Question

Discussion in 'THE DEATH BOOKS' started by somethingclever, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ***Possible Spoilers!!***
    I hope you all dont mind me starting a new topic in here. I did a search thru the archives to see if I could find the answer, but I came up short.

What is it that makes the Librarian build Death's motorcycle?

At first I thought it was the music that was keeping Buddy alive, but that doesnt make any sense. Death is the one that "kills"* the music in the end, so you wouldnt think it wouldn't help along its own demise by providing the librarian with plans for another "horse" (more like hog) for death.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

*I understand that Death didnt actually "kill" the music. It couldnt BE killed, right?
  2. Electric_Man Templar

I believe it was an extension of the Wizards' natural conductivity to any phenonema. Just as the Dean was 'infected'* to wear leather (with appropriate messaging on the back), the librarian also had ideas to do with the rock scene - only as he's much smarter than the Dean, he made something much grander.

Death just borrowed/stole it - the music didn't intend that.

*for lack of a better word
  3. Ah yes, that makes sense.

Thank You, Electric_Man! :)
  4. Pixel New Member

The bike, in addition to any other links to rock and roll, sets up the joke when Colon sees it coming towards the just closed gates and says "Don't do it! Don't do it" - a line from the song "Leader of the Pack" - and then the following reference that the bike was not designed to slow down except "catastrophically at the end of the third verse" (I think it was catastrophically - if not it was something similar but I don't have the book immediately to hand - and I'm not sure that I have spelled it right anyway) - a reference to the same song.

The Dean's leather coat became a reference to "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" - the line in the song being "In a coat he borrowed from James Dean" - so Death was wearing "A coat he borrowed from the Dean" - there is also a passing reference to "The day the music died." from the same song. There are so many clever references in Soul Music that I doubt if anyone but PTerry understands them all - but that is part of his genius!
  5. Yep, that book is great for passing references. My favorite is
    "We're on a mission from Glod." I was on a plane when I first read that part and I got some very strange looks as I laughed out loud!

Oh, how I wish that line had made it into the movie.
  6. poons New Member

Yes it was like the librarian built it for him to do that, he moves in mysterious ways that ape.
  7. Pixel New Member

Yes - frequently waving his arms above his head to keep his balance when running - that's mysterious! :)
  8. mr_scrub New Member

I didn't know there was a Soul Music movie. Is it only in U.K. and if so there seems to a trend of movies with Susan. I would really like to see Theif of Time as a movie
  9. Hsing Moderator

There isn't, as far as I am aware - correct me if I am wrong! :) Somethingclever might have been referring to the origignal Blues Brothers movie.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I expect she's talking about the animated film.
  11. LondonWolf New Member

Just 2 say I loved soul music and the drummer is fav of mine as I am a drummer and yes it does sum up drummers. LOL:lol:
  12. SusanCromwell New Member

Yeah I really enjoy Susan Sto Helit in the Discworld books and I would Love to see Thief of Time as a movie.