PTerry gets it right again!

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Pixel, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Pixel New Member

2. mazekin Member

Never trust an animal that grins all the time. He applied it to dolphins, but I find that it works for Clowns too.

They are evil, evil creatures that must be hunted down and stuck in a very large pit somewhere. Much the same as mimes. Mimes are only funny if they are in movies and something bad is happening to them. Like having the cr*p kicked out of them, or stuck in a see-through box with a poison gas being pumped in. Yeah, boyo, let's see you do the 'stuck in a box' routine now. Ha!*

All Hail PTerry.

*I have issues.
  3. mowgli New Member

I've never been afraid of clowns - didn't seem to be an issue back in Ukraine, everyone there loved clowns, - but I'm now officially afraid of Mazekin :wink:
  4. mazekin Member

Heh :smile: My work here is done :lol:
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Clowns suck, I have always said so, glad to know I'm normal. In that respect at least.
  6. Roman_K New Member

I never had a problem with clowns... as long as said clowns were in a fenced arena.
  7. mowgli New Member

Hmmm, don't remember seeing a Soviet clown wandering outside the arena... maybe that explains why they failed to inspire fear! :smile:
  8. TheJackal Member

My 18 year old brother has always been freaked out by clowns. Of course the film "IT" didn't help matters!
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Did anyone ever seen the clown episode of Frasier, where he's trying to cure a woman of her fear of clowns? Oh yeah, and he jumps out on his dad and gives him a heart attack.
  10. Pepster New Member

I saw the first 15 min of that movie when I was young (4-5 I think), I've never been fond I clowns since.
  11. mazekin Member

That movie didn't help me. Neither did the movie Aliens That gave me nightmares for years (brother locked me in the sitting room when it came out on video and forced me to watch it. Amusing for him, gave me nightmares for years).

I can vaguely remember another movie, with...um...mind controlling foam??? [don't ask, I didn't write the script] where a kid could see what it was doing to his family and tried to flush it down the loo before it took him over too. Then the foam came out of the loo and tried to get him. I was terrified of flushing the toilet for years...I used to stand as far away from the toilet as I could, lean over, flush and run out of the room as fast as possible.

But I am over that now, and I don't have nightmares about cats turning into vicious icky aliens come to eat me at my brothers command. I do, however, still have an ingraned hatred of clowns. I don't know where the Mime problem comes from, though.

It is amazing how many people don't like clowns, mimes and dolls (I lump them in together, because you can get these little china doll things that are made up like clowns. I got one through a secret santa a few years ago and it had to go under the stairs in a box with a lot of other things on top of it. My mother thought I was crazy. Not hard to see where she came to that conclusion from, though, eh?:))
    There are at least 4 people in work who don't like them. And a friend of a friend is so afraid of them, that her four year old neice knows not to mention d.o.l.l.'s or c.l.o.w.n.s in her presence. The room has to be scoured clean of them before she enters, otherwise she starts hyperventilating and having a panic attack. Now I am not that bad!!!
  12. randywine Member

Before we met, Mrs R. used to collect those china dolls, with their empty evil smiles and shiny dead eyes and I always used to imagine them turning to stare at me when I wasn't looking. *Shudder*.

Needless to say they now live in the attic, in a large box, under other large, heavy boxes. And that is where they will stay - forever.
    The old 'I will get around to building some shelves for your dolls one day soon' lie is the one which I will take to the cold cold grave...

I'm not overly fond of clowns either, anyone with that amount of pancake makeup on is either: A - Hiding something dreadful or B - Fish from the days when Marillion were still singing about Grendel and Market Square Heroes*.

R.

* From 'Obscure References and Showing Your Age' by I. M. Ahaddock.
  13. Rewr New Member

One of the reasons I tend to stay away from horror films, and films with too much blood and gore.

Give me a good horror book and I can scare myself silly with my own imagination - I don't need anyone else's!

Clowns - depends on their face, as to how creepy I think they are. I do enjoy a good clown act though.
  14. Mynona Member

Clowns don't bother me.

And neither do most 'scary' movies. They're generally quite pathetic.

On the other hand, I can refuse to read a book, if the blurb says that something bad happens to a character I like. This is why 'Chainfire' has now been on my bedside table for... a year? and I've read all of... ten pages or so.
  15. mazekin Member

"Scary" movies aged 26 = pathetic.

"Scary" movies aged 6 = terrifying.

I still have an aversion to Doctor Who. When my oldest brother was home on leave, he would sit down in the rocking chair in the dining room and call me over. Like a fool, I would go over to him. He would then grab me by the wrist, drag me onto his lap and force me to watch things. Like Christine (posessed car) Doctor Who episodes involving some kind of zombies... Every once in a while, he will mention some other kind of horror movie (including the foam movie).
    And that was a different brother to the Aliens guy. Is it any wonder I turned out the way I did?:shock::smile:

PS. If you ever want a good chuckle, go watch the new version of The Amityville Horror.
  16. mr_scrub New Member

I agree with mazekin on every point, clowns and mimes should be locked away somewhere far away, like Venus. A cartoonist that I like had an extremely relevant cartoon to this situation: if a tree falls in the forest and it hits a mime, does anyone care? He's called Gary Larson, I don't know if anyone has heard of him?
  17. redneck New Member

Mr Scrub, I believe that most people would be familiar with The Far Side comics, but maybe not as much as with the name, Gary Larson. (I had to look it up because I couldn't put a comic to the name)

Clowns have never bothered me. I like to watch the clowns when there's a circus or rodeo. I used to dream of running away and joining the circus. It was life's ambition as a young child.

i never have really cared for scary movies. It doesn't take much to scare people when you're making a slow pan of the area with the camera and then to have the dreaded creature/ demon/ blood-covered-psycho suddenly jump in front of the lens with a lot of noise. That's like playing with old fire-crackers. You know they're going to go off, but you just don't know when. They make you jump every time.

A suspense movie that makes you think is more to my liking. The terror of the movie is from what deductions you can make and the way that the plot is written rather than a cheesy plot with bad makeup being thrown in front of the screen.
  18. Mynona Member

I'm not quite that old yet. :wink:

Also, there's only been one movie that actually terrified me. I was 6, incidentally, and we had to watch a cartoon about caries. In this case small, rather cute trolls that made holes in teeth. Mum had to come get me from daycare because I refused to come inside again.

And yes, I saw IT when I was about... dunno... 10 or something. I threw a cinnamon bun at the screen and went to sleep.
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

**sigh** ah, cinnamon buns...
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I've never had a problem with clowns, dolls, masks or mimes. It takes a lot worse to scare me, like a bluebottle, for example...
  21. mowgli New Member

My friend overcame her doll-phobia through these life-like dolls. Apparently, there's a huge online community that collects them and then posts photo-journals about them. They get pretty intense!

I'm afraid of dead bodies, whether they be human, animal, or alien. (Not of zombies, though - if something walks and talks - or lurches and groans, - I'm fine with it). So clowns and mimes don't bother me, as long as they're alive!
  22. mazekin Member

I'll smush the bluebottle for you if you will run down the mime...?

Please?:smile:
  23. randywine Member

Oh Mowgli - I just had to look didn't I...

Those cold, dead, shiny eyes...:sad:
  24. Rewr New Member

Suspense movies - argh they can be worse:shock:, and there's the films that don't show all leaving you to fill in the missing images - where's me cushion, where's me ear plugs.... How do you turn off your own imagination?

Hey Mr R, would Mrs R object to you flogging said empty faced dolls? It'd give you something to do until work found its way to you.
  25. Rewr New Member

26. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Dead bodies aren't scary, just sometimes a little smelly.

Mazekin, it's a deal! Get out that fly swat.
  27. mazekin Member

Grace, it sits by my side at the ready!

Surprisingly enough, I don't mind moths, butterfly's, bluebottles, rats, mice and even daddylonglegs. But the second a spider walks in the room...it has to die. Even if it takes me an hour and a half to work up the courage.

Discworld - TrekUnited Forum ::shudder:: Now that is exactly the thing to keep me from sleeping at night.

Suspense movies kill me. My heart just can't take the pressure. Especially now that I'm in the house 5 nights out of 7 on my own. Any creak or bang out of place scares the living daylights out of me.
  28. IgorMina New Member

I don't find clowns particularily scary, though I can see how the might be. Most dolls are ok, but these I finde worrying: UK Reborn Baby Dolls.

Wasps and dogs are another kettle of fish though. *shudder*
  29. spiky Bar Wench

Your all sick and I'm going to stick my head in the sand and pretend there's nothing scary in the world. Especially those freaky babies... they'd turn anyone off reproduction for life...
  30. Rewr New Member

Yikes - those are dolls! Some of them are very realistic... the aww factor almost crept in with the hormone rush - fortunately remembered this is scary stuff we're discussing, and they are not real.

Yey first sane moment of the year! :lol:

An old acquaintance had these life size naughty dolls, that were positioned so the could stand in the corner. Bloody good thing too - when you turned them round there was no face :shock:.

Spiky - what about the body invading worms that live in sand - are they not scary? :pirate:
  31. spiky Bar Wench

Damn you, the last hiding place of the independently ignorant has been contaminated!

The clowns were bad enough, I mean IT scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, now I've got to worry about worms in the sand and weird lifelike babies too. No wonder the use of mind-altering drugs is on the rise...
  32. Saccharissa Stitcher

I made a point of not watching horror movies when I was a kid, since I didn't like to be frightened (Doctor Who was bad enough). I realised I made the right choice when I went to junior high school and one of my classmates, who was watching horror films very enthousiastically, almowys asked me to walk her to her door when we were returning to our homes after sundown.

So, when I read IT, it was as an adult, and in med school. My best friend Fotini had loaned me both IT and Madama Bovary. I was reading IT before sleep and had no nightmares, but Madame Bovary really messed me up.

I saw the movie a couple of years ago. It was amusing.
  33. randywine Member

Just R, I think Mr R is my dad :wink:
    I asked the great toenail clipper last night about your fantastic suggestion but she gave me 'THE LOOK'. She then proceeded to suggest some form of connection between my liver, a sharp knife, and the Hannibal Lecter cookbook. Furthermore, after the culinary journey, she reminded me that I had promised shelves in a 'spare room' (there was definitely sarcasm in there as well) when we get a bigger house. They will haunt me to the grave...

Why, Why, why did I look... :shock:
  34. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ewww... I think my soul just threw up.
  35. mowgli New Member

Looked at the Reborn dolls. You know the world's in trouble, when something directly out of a dystopian novel* is staring back at you in real life.

Brad and I took turns looking and shuddering. I mean... WHY?

* "Children of Men", in this case.
  36. Pixel New Member

Pterry gets it right again

Scared of the Doctor? Sacrilege! Saccharissa and Mazekin - part of the point of the series is to get kids hiding behind the settee when the Daleks appear - why do you think Ghost Trains exist in fairgrounds?
  37. mazekin Member

Ghost Trains, to me, are lame. Always thought so, even when I was little. My sister, however, is afraid of them. :bunny: Why is there no smiley for evil grin? Razz, yes, but no evil, demented grin. That's a shame...

Anyhoo, back on track here. Picture being forced to watch Dr. Who...over and over, aged about 5 or 6, being terrorised by someone you only get to see only once, maybe twice a year. And then to have your other idiot brother jump out at you from the dark. Standing outside your door at night, hissing strange things, and lines from scary movies he has made you watch. This would be the same brother who told me age 6 that there was no Santa Claus. God. I love my brothers. So much.:sad:

And those dolls...::shudder:: Ewww, Ick, gettem outta here!!!!!!!
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

**sigh** Tonight, I will watch the Doctor in French for the last freaking time. Praise the Lord !

(yes, this is our real reason for moving to an English-speaking country. Although of course, to include Ireland in this, we had to stretch "English-speaking" a bit...)
  39. mazekin Member

Mna! Ceap magaidh a dhéanamh de mo teanga, le do thoil! Bí Ciúin!:razz:
  40. Rewr New Member

Apologies Marthter R... I will no longer refer to you as Mister!

I must ask how did you phrase the question? Was it 'can we flog those dolls of yours'? Or did you enquire as to 'a general clear out of stuff not used or seen for a while'?

In other words (frightening thought) what were you willing to sacrifice?:lol: What most loved and dearest possession would you discard?

PS If your answer is Mrs R - I will send her the Hannibal Lecter Cakes & Puddings Cookbook!:D
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

Show off.
  42. IgorMina New Member

Heeheeheeheehee!

They're kind of fascinating in a horrible sort of way, it's the eyes that are the most freaky.

+ They do Doctor Who in French?! That must be awful dubbed! There are some things Mina doesn't mind dubbed, but Doctor Who is not one of them.
  43. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, Doctor Who is on France 4 every tuesday night... it's not technically badly done, but like Inspector Lynley, you lose all the subtelties due to accents and some of the puns.
  44. Hsing Moderator

I saw a documentary on them, a little disturbing.
    I can see the work's worth in them, from a craft focused point of view, but the documentary showed rather the people who buy them (or two of them, which isn't exactly a very big sample). It's a little bit creepy that a close relative of mine filled her living room with dolls -fairly artificial ones, though- which look back at you all the time, and have names... I imagine I would react rather worried if she started pushing them through the city in a pram all the time.
  45. spiky Bar Wench

Now theres a freaky image to keep you awake at night...

A room full of shining, staring dolls eyes...

Its the stuff of horror films and not just the rather comical Chucky doll. I mean a movie where the realistic baby dolls come alive and stare at you...

I'm freaking myself out here.
  46. mazekin Member

Oh, please, Spiky, don't say things like that! I'm having enough trouble sleeping right now as it is!
  47. spiky Bar Wench

Sorry. But I'm suffering from insomnia myself. I was up till about 5am this morning and the day just doesn't seem worth the effort...