Photo Competition XXII - Signs....

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Lyia, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Lyia New Member

Sorry it took me so long to post this. Between being busy and having a bad internet connection I couldn't get anything to work.

I believe it is an easy subject, but you can make it more complicated if you wish.

Closing date will be Friday 9th April so you should have plenty of time to think of something.

The Rules:
    - Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture, or creating negative images etc.). Cropping, and adjusting levels, contrast, saturation etc. is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - The entire community is allowed to vote for one picture in the voting thread

And for information and review, here are the past competitions and their themes:

I "Beginning":
    Photo Competition Thread

II "Connection":
    Photo Competition II, November 2006

III "Faith":
    Photo Competition III, January 2007

IV "Colour":
    Photo Competition IV, Feb 2007.

V "Time":
    Photo Competition V, March 2007

VI "Love":
    Photo competition VI

VII "Landscape":
    Photo competition VII

VIII "Moment":
    Photo Competition VIII

IX "Roots":
    Photo Competition IX

X "Surfaces":
    Photo Competition X

XI "Joy":
    Photo Competition XI

XII "Magic":
    Photo Competition XII

XIII Shadow and Light":
    Photo Competition XIII

XIV "Decay":
    Photo Competition XIV

XV "Water":
    Photo Competition XV - Water

XVI "Fire & Ice"
    Photo Competition XVI

XVII "Dreams":
    Photo Competition XVII

XVIII: "Bad Hair Day"
    Photo Competition XVIII

XIX: "Ghosts"
    Photo Competition XIX

XX: "Flight"
    Photo Competition XX

XXI: "Shopping Days"
    http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/discworld/boardania/2273-photo-competition-xxi-shopping-days.html

Start date NOW

Closing date for entries Friday 9th April
  2. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Great choice of subject Lyia.... Signs... hmmm.

I had a great idea for this one but it involves convincing some unsuspecting young lady to

1. Wear the type of night attire that becomes almost invisible when wet (so I've heard)
    2. Climb to the top of a mountain in a raging thunderstorm carrying a wooden staff and
    3. Shout out warnings to mankind in an ancient language against a background of electrical discharges and black clouds.
    And that was the easy option?

Ah well, back to the drawing board. :D
  3. Lyia New Member

Hey Joculator,
    I can help you with the ancient language and the background of electrical discharges and black clouds. But I have no idea where you are going to find a wooden staff. :lol:
  4. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Thanks for the generous offer Lyia [IMG] but being a Morris man I can usually find a wooden staff. I think finding a mountain near to where I live was going to be the difficult bit. :sad:

Anyway, in the absence of a good downfall of rain, it looks like I'm going to have to go with my second choice... An old crone dressed in a sackcloth toga hobbling down a Medditeranean street full of gladiators with a nice erupting volcano in the background instead...

Or am I being too portentous with my ideas? :D
  5. Hsing Moderator

And here, my first entry - a hopeful interpretation. Because they day after, there was snow again...

[IMG]
  6. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

A sign of the times... A nice sea mist yesterday morning as I arrived at Hartlepool's Maritime Museum gave a nice ghostly backdrop to reflect the theme of the modern wrought ironwork.

[IMG]

(HMS Trincomalee is the oldest British warship still afloat.)
  7. Lyia New Member

[IMG]

I was going to submit a picture of pretty crocus' blooming in the woods, but my camera isn't very good, so I went with humor.
    Well at least I think it's funny.
  8. Lyia New Member

Well I guess it's time.

Contest closed.

Look for the voting thread.
    Thank you.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I had an idea for this one, but didn't manage to take the picture in time. Never mind!