People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. sampanna New Member

If you hit Colonesque, you get 10 points. It's just too easy.
  2. colonesque10 New Member

Now come on Sam that's not very nice, I can quite happily hit myself these days if I need to. I'm a big boy now. :)
  3. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Corrected.
  4. colonesque10 New Member

Thankyou Rinso. I don't know where i'd be without your constant correction of my content, grammar and spelling. :p
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Probably lying Dead in a gutter, my friend, at the very least Blind. Your lucky I'm hear to watch over you.*

*obviously, I can't watch completely over you, I'd have to be in space your someing to see all of your massive face.
  6. colonesque10 New Member

Well there is quite a bit of space between those things you call ears my friend. As for lying dead in a gutter, that would probably be a better level of accomodation than i'm used to at the moment. :( (Poor Bob and poor Kenny)
  7. MoonCatBlue New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?

This is the name I've used since I first went online way back when... just gathering together three of my favourite things.

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

Is there a third option with this? (nah... female)

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?

third decade & New Zealand

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

Maybe if Peter Jackson did it... otherwise nah...

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

read Colour of Magic when it was first published after my brother recommended it to me...

6) what's your personal quote of the day?

Do I look like a people person?

[color=darkblue8]not that I'm exactly a newbie... used to post on the old board but had a year or so hiatus due to personal reasons...[/color]
  8. Hsing Moderator

Hi, Mooncatblue! Its always nice to see old acquaintances find their way into new relams! :)
  9. fairyliquid New Member

welcome! (back)

We have a streek of people *not* saying they are female/male last time they checks

this calls for a toast! who has the bread?*

*::cringes at the bad joke::
  10. Cynical_Youth New Member

Welcome MoonCatBlue. :)
  11. KaptenKaries New Member

Hello MoonCatBlue! :)
  12. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome MoonCatBlue.
    :)
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

impetus yourself !!! :shock:
    Ok, ok, it's the first bit of my first name and the first bit of my (brand new :D ) surname. Sorry, I always wish I could find a really witty nickname for this kind of forum, but when it actually comes down to it, this one is easy to remember...

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    Oh, really ? Who was confused about being a male or female ?

Huh ?

Oh, about other people being males or females, ok, right...

Huh ?

Oh, me ? Female **checking** yep, definitely female.

What's an age category ? like "too young to be listened to", "the age where your parents are idiots and noone understands you", "old enough to be listened to, but not enough to have anything worth saying", "am I really that old ?", "oh, I wasn't that old after all, but now I'm older...", "over the hill and climbing the next one", "dead, and still no one listens to me".

Er... that makes me 27, and living in Toulouse, in the south west part of France.

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    Now I DEFINITELY think that DiCaprio would make a really convincing troll... no ??? ok, ok, drop the rifle, I was kidding... Yeah, in an ideal world, TP's books could be great movies. But they would have to have unlimited budgets, and be made by REAL fans who actually understand ALL the words in the books, get ALL the jokes and Terry would have to be part of the project or I'm just not doing it !

My big bro' gave me good omens for christmas in 1990, just after my parents, my sister and I moved to this crazy country. "I think he's written a couple of other books, but this one is good..."
    I've been hooked ever since. Thanks bro'...
    (and later, I realised that I had read Strata may years before that, but had completely forgotten it... Duh !)

"There are ten kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

But I must admit my all-time favorite quote is... "Ooook"... says it all, doesn't it !
  14. Willmolly3 New Member

Welcome Katcal :) :D
  15. koshu New Member

Howzit Katcal

From the frozen "South African"

Welcome to the little family :lol:
  16. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Katcal. :)
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

hello all...

I think it is now safe to say my bookcase officially hates you all. I've just ordered a signed copy of THUD from a link I found here... actually, my bank account hates you too...

that's a shame, 'cos I actually like it here :D :badgrin:
  18. koshu New Member

Its great but just a warning for future refrence :

lock away your account details, credit cards and anything else that you can charge items to, away!!!! :D :lol:
  19. Cynical_Youth New Member

Welcome Katcal. :)
  20. Roman_K New Member

Haven't posted here in a while. A warm welcome to all members, both new and old.
  21. TinyWitch New Member

Hello,

This is my first visit here.

Looking forward to spending more time here.
  22. Bradthewonderllama New Member

23. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hello TinyWitch... watch out you don't get trodden on ;)
  24. Maljonic Administrator

Hello TinyWitch. :)
  25. koshu New Member

hey TinyWitch, welcome :)
  26. Cynical_Youth New Member

Welcome TinyWitch. :)
  27. chrisboote New Member

Some of you may know me - I'm Xris at the DWCon
    Can't wait until August!!!
  28. Hsing Moderator

Welcome Chrisboote!
  29. KaptenKaries New Member

Welcome Chris and TinyWitch! :-D
  30. Maljonic Administrator

Hi chrisboote. :)
  31. Innkeeper New Member

Salutations! I'm Innkeeper on the endless prairie. Pratchett fan since Pyramids came out. My sister introduced me to you; thanks much, kiddo. Glad to be here!
  32. KaptenKaries New Member

Hello Innkeeper! :)
  33. Sir_Gawain New Member

Sir Gawain, greatest knight of Camelot! I don't care what you say about Lancelot. Modestly and loyalty are far better than a slight advantage in prowness! Plus, he was part of the stories first. Lancelot didn't get there 'till the french got a hold on it.

Female

Teens, A small, un-heard of town in New York State.

No.

A sister shoving books under my nose.

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

7) what is you favorite author aside from terry pratchett?
    Orson Scott Card.
  34. Roman_K New Member

Greetings, Sir_Gawain. :)
  35. koshu New Member

welcome sir-gawain, i think your right he;s so much cooler than lancelot
    :) :lol:
  36. Sir_Gawain New Member

Why, thank you, koshu! I am glad I am agreed with in that catagory, M'lady/M'lord. I notice you have not posted your answers on this thread... :lol:
  37. koshu New Member

its m'lady

ok fine here goes

1) the name is from something my friends and i do it some crazy thing

2) Im female as i hope most people have got that by now

3) im 15 and I stay in johannesburg, South africa

4) I dont belive that a movie could ever be made because most people persive things diffrently

5)i got turned to PTeryy by my dad who was reading theif of time and then again by one of my teachers

6)'It can take years to teach man to cook but only five minutes for him to find the tv control' (sorry its kind of lame)

7)i dont really hav one but right now it would hav to be the author who wrote the squires tales, ill find it later

edit: to add things and fix spelling
  38. Sir_Gawain New Member

O_O Gerald Morris? I love those books! ^-^
  39. KaptenKaries New Member

Hello Gawain.
  40. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome Sir_Gawain...

**mutters : LADY gawain, surely ? Bah, kids these days... :roll: ** :lol:
  41. Pixel New Member

Actually, to be a knight-equivalent in her own right it would be Dame Gawain - at that level, "Lady" is the wife of a knight.
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh damn you Pixel, now I've gone and LEARNED something !!! :shock: :lol:
  43. Sir_Gawain New Member

:lol: May we stick with Sir Gawain or simply Gawain? Though I did not know the 'dame' fact either. Thank you, Pixel!
  44. koshu New Member

you were right it is him i totaly loved them, Terence rocks
  45. Pixel New Member

Stick with your chosen name - as you get used to this board, you'll find that I sometimes get attacks of pedantry - although in the context of the Marthter,"Twyla" might have been a possibility
  46. Innkeeper New Member

Oops! Finally read back to the beginning of the thread. Questions? Well, gee...

Belatedly (sorry) here goes some answers:

1. It's what I do. (Probably should have thought of something more creative, but I'm not really very creative)

2. Male, but it no longer matters much.

3. Nearing a half-century, in a little Iowa town on the Mississippi River.

4. Not suck? Maybe. Characters in several of the Witch books and some of the Watch books could be pretty effective in a properly written screenplay. However, it just wouldn't be vintage Pratchett without the marvelous use of the language.

5. My sister gave me a copy of Pyramids. I was hooked by the tenth page.

6. "In a kingdom of the blind, a one-eyed man is having dangerous hallucinations, and will be locked up for his own good."

7. Ooh. toughie. For pure joy of reading, it would have to be Ursula Le Guin.
  47. Trollmother New Member

Welcome Innkeeper! To me it sounds like a very romantic job, in many books the innkeeper is a very important person, but I guess it has its disadvantages as all other jobs.
  48. koshu New Member

welcome innkeeper!! :)
  49. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Innkeeper. :)
  50. Sir_Gawain New Member

Greetings, M'lord Innkeeper! We can be new on the board together, no?
  51. janible New Member

Welcome, Innkeeper! I'm delighted to see you here! :) I had forgotten that Pyramids was your initial taste of Terry. Good start!
  52. Cynical_Youth New Member

Welcome Innkeeper and Sir_Gawain. :)
  53. Firelord New Member

1 - My screen name jus seemed good at the time :doubt:

2 - Male

3 - 36 and currently reside in the land of the red dragon ( Wales, UK ) but stem from the land of the white dragon ( England )

4 - If a movie was made then great care needs to be taken. 1st attempt at making the Hobbit was a complete mare. I would suggest the mental imagery created by reading can never be replaced ( god I sound sad :cry: )
    5 - Many yrs ago I read ' The colour of magic ' and have read everything since

6) Live for today as tomorrow will be crap !!!!!
  54. koshu New Member

Welcome Firelord :)
  55. silverflagon New Member

1. (Now I've got to cast my mind back a long way for this.) To start of I love silver, and I started out drawing just fantasy and I wanted an alias that was vaguely fantasy conected. I don't like to be too obvious.
    And the word silver just seemed to fit nicely with flagon which is a very old name for a beer container, The dictionary describes it as either a measure, a bottle or a drinking vessel.

1. Female

3. I'm 56 and not scared to admit it, and I live in the west Midlands, in the UK.

4. This "is" a loaded question, and in my mind it can only be done in cartoon form, and then how do you depict Death and his home, and the VOICE :badgrin: It could just never live up to the image and sound that Terry painted in my head.

5. I bought some fantasy books from a book club, and Mort was one of their offers at the time, and I have never laughed so much at a book before, he had me in hysterics. I have seen people reading his books on trains and buses, trying desperately to stop themselves laughing out loud :D I am usually the person trying to get others to read his books :D

6. My personal quote, is one that has been inspired by all those comments left by want to be artists that think they can learn over night, and that those who can draw can work magic for them. This is a pencil not a magic wand!
  56. fairyliquid New Member

Hola Silverflagon, Firelord, Sir gawain, Innkeeper and about the 50 other people I haven't said hello to and should have :)
  57. Guest Guest

Hey all, i'm new at this so please forgive me if i mess up.

!1 I chose my on screen name cos its a nick name iv'e earnt from work, kinda sad but it's stuck with me!

!2 i'm Female (as if you couldn't guess from the screen name)

!3 I'm 28 and feeling very old at the moment, i live in Coventry in the west midlands.

!4 I don't think a movie is possible to be honest, I like where the books go in my imagination and the pics of the likes of Detritus and Vimes are mine. Someone else couldn't put their face to them.

!5 My first book was bought for me for a new years present 12 months ago, I got the Wee Free Men (not an often rated Pratchett novel) i fell in love with the Nac Mac Feegles (fun with a scottish accent :lol: ) finished that book and bought 16 of the discworld novels to keep me going, have managed to convert 3 friends to the mad world of Pratchett and havent looked back.

!6 Never put off to tomorrow the things you can forget about all together!!
  58. Katcal I Aten't French !

welcome miss whiplash !
  59. Maljonic Administrator

Hello misswhiplash. :)
  60. koshu New Member

welcome misswhiplash, :D