Octobercon ?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Katcal, May 31, 2007.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

I just saw on L-space that Terry should be signing books in London on October 13th, and thought that this might just be an added reason for me and Luggage (err, I mean Reg) to make our little trip to London, if we possible can, or at least to choose the date... This really is just an idea, October's still far enough away to be abstract and it will depend on a lot of things like... finding jobs, but if we did come, would anyone like to join in ?
  2. Maljonic Administrator

Yes, I should be able to do that.
  3. jaccairn New Member

I would be interested. Finances permitting.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Luggage has said "Go for it !", so it looks like we'll be coming...
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Have I ever told you guys I can be kind of... impulsive ?

Ok, well we now have Easyjet reservations for october 12th to 16th... I guess this means we're coming. Yowza.
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Cool! We should be able to make it, work and finances permitting.
  7. jaccairn New Member

The Terracotta Army exhibit at the British Museum will be on at this time. Would anyone be interested in combining the two. It is £12 to get in and has timed entry tickets which might make it awkward to fit around a book signing, also depending on where the signing will take place!
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

In theory, yes - but that depends on if we have £24 at the time!
  9. Maljonic Administrator

It would be kind of cool to get a picture of Terry Pratchett and the army he alluded to in one of his books. :smile:
  10. Electric_Man Templar

I would be able to make one of the weekend days and am also very interested in seeing the original TA - probably more so than seeing Terry.
  11. missy New Member

We are going to look into trains and b&b's so hell why not!

(woo hoo i get to meet the mad french bunny)
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

**smites Ben** Blasphemy !!
    Wendy, if you have any good leads on cheap B&B's, let me know, we haven't looked at accommodation yet, and if we grouped up it would save a) any getting lost and b) and cab fees that might arise... Also, it would be more fun.

Yay, I get to meet that mad whiplash lady.

Oh, also, same B&B makes pillowfights easier :biggrin:
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, well scratch that, I just won a 500€ voucher to spend on travel, so we may just spend it on a nice posh hotel in London. Or we'll go mad and spend a weekend in Venice for the same price. Whatever.
  14. Hsing Moderator

Wow! You what? How? Where? Maybe I could win one too, then I would come...
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Spend it on coming to Germancon!
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

I could, but getting time off work would be a problem, and we would still have to pay for accomodation in London... I would love to, though... :sad:
  17. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Come to Germancon! You haaaaaaaaaaaaave tooooooooooooooo!
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

DO want... But I can't has Germancon :sad: Bob understands.
  19. Hsing Moderator

Me doesn't. Can't haz bunny?
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Nope. Bunny can't has holidays in august. Bunny is pissed off.
  21. Electric_Man Templar

Sorry, I know you are from a foreign country, but could you use proper english, please?

You especially need to learn how to read and write. Disgrace!
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Point taken! It was a momentary lapse due to cheerfulness brought on by relief at no longer being threatened with the workhouse. Back to my usual despressive and nazified self now...
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

*prods Ben with a spork* You boring old carrot you. Hang on, don't bunnies EAT carrots ?
  24. Electric_Man Templar

Only ordinary carrots.

Grace, cheerfulness has been banned by the UN as it may prove offensive to miserable people who could be provoked into waging a war against smilers. If the workhouse is needed as incentive, then Mr Bumble shall be exhumed and put into employment. All Oliver Twists shall be relocated to the Mariana Trench.
  25. Stercus Stercus New Member

Mariana Trench! Is she a seamstress?
  26. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Far be it from me to be considered a smiler, or even a smiler-sympathiser!
  27. missy New Member

Well Mr P is coming to Nottingham on the 11th and thats where we are going to get signed!

Then we will be in London to see you all on the 13th. The cost looks like about 90 pounds for the night, in a nice hotel. I think i deserve a bit of special treatment and cos i'm with him, Dave gets it by proxy!

I'm so looking forward to this. We must go out for the night too. Perhaps a meal and some drunken singing is in order.!
  28. Katcal I Aten't French !

You're lucky, I can do drunken singing without even drinking anything but orange juice !
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Just to let you know, this should indeed be happening, we have just received my winnings and will be booking a 4 star hotel asap. (After desperately trying to fight my instincts that are telling me to only look at the cheapest ones... To be able to use my voucher we must find a hotel that costs over 500€. I can't believe I'm complaining about this. I will chose one with a gym room and make myself use it as penance. And to make up for the giant flat-screen TV, insane quantity of breakfast and free internet access. Damn.)

Also to let you all know, as Mal has kindly posted here, the book signing will be from 1 to 2 pm at Forbidden Planet on Shaftesury av.
  30. Hex New Member

Dang that sounds like a fun meetup everyone...

I've learned recently that due to finances and the hideous exchange rate I will probably not be able to return to England until after I graduate University.
    In 2010.

It's depressing, but I have hope of getting tickets as a graduation present - I hope to also drag the boyfriend out there too, since he's never been out of the country and has a thing for really shiny castles (History Major).

Anyway, I hope everyone going to Octobercon and Germancon has a great time and takes lots of pictures of the Warriors and the Terry and so on.
    If any board denizens find themselves in the vicinity of Nebraska or kansas or somewhere... yeah, send me a PM so we can organize a mini-con.

Course, that's me getting my hopes up, since the chances of anyone being in this area are slim to none.
    Oh well... *grumbles incoherently*
  31. TamyraMcG Active Member

Hey Hex, maybe you and I could meet in Rochester MN and go pee in Nester's shoes, (Figuratively of course) I think it is about 6 hours driving time for either of us. This is mostly wishful thinking on my part, I just like to dream.
  32. Hex New Member

Hrm...

It will take time for me to amass roadtrip money -- that's something I probably wouldn't want to attempt until next summer at the very least.
    It's a while... but some time in the not too hideously distant future I'd enjoy a meetup.

Course, I'd have to convince my sister to let me borrow her car... which technically belongs to my parents...
    I'm imagining the looks on their faces if I'd tell them I was meeting up with people I met on the internet.
    *Is amused*. It's cute how they still treat me like a fourteen year old.
  33. Nester New Member

In some cultures (Doormen) this is actually unnecessary as they are already full at all times. We have to keep reserves after all. You never can tell when you'll need it. :)
  34. TamyraMcG Active Member

I'm not sure I like the idea of full shoes, but if we don't take advantage of having a doorman(tell me what ARE the advantages of having a doorman, again) well I just do think it would be fun, Maybe around the time of CONVergence next year,(July 3-6), I will be that far south for sure. I have a friend in Rochester that needs me to buy him a Long Island Iced Tea. It is going to take me some time to amass road trip money, too.
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

So... the big O is getting nearer, and we haven't planned much : who is coming, after all that ? What are we doing ? Where shall we meet up and when ? (by PM, if you prefer, to avoid possible outside annoyance) The book signing is on Saturday 13th at 1300 hours (is the Marthter trying to tell us something ?) at Forbidden planet, neat Tottenham court road station. We could meet there before hand and grab some lunch somewhere ? The Dominion Theatre is quite a good landmark there for meeting up in front of... (could anyone miss a 20 foot-tall silver Freddy Mercury ?) Any ideas of what to do afterwards ? Is Rinso allowed out to meet us or do we have to go to London zoo to throw peanuts at him ? What is the meaning of life ? Why are there so many questions ?

**goes back to jumping up and down with impatience at the thought of returning to London**

Edited again to add : on the subject of Terracotta armies, the British museum is just a couple of streets away from the place where Terry is signing, so maybe we would be able to get in there... I don't know how do-able it would be to just turn up and queue for tickets in October ?
  36. Hsing Moderator

Not me, not this year. :sad:
  37. Maljonic Administrator

How about Staurday, on the dot!
  38. jaccairn New Member

I'm coming.

The only downside to meeting at the palace theatre is the chance of bad weather and the puntuality of attendees (which based on previous occasions is not great and usually made worse by London Transport!).We've tended to meet at Waterloo previously

We'll probably be queuing for a while to see Terry anyway.

Tickets for the Terracotta warriors are no longer available online for October but they do release 500 each day at 9.15 for purchase at the museum.
  39. Delphine New Member

i am afraid that, despite the Geoff-spoken invite, neither Doors or I can make it this time :sad:

For him, it's his mate Stween's (the artiste who drew Fred) birthday.

For me, I've got an exam on Monday the 15th. A horrible, 2 hour exam on pensions, no less! If I pass I get a £200 bonus though. So I need to be revising (last minute cramming) that weekend.

It's crap! We really wanted to go, it's been a year since the last big meet up already. Once we've got moving out of the way, we might be able to wrangle something in Jan, if that's still going ahead.

I await the pictures eagerly. Make a video again!
  40. Katcal I Aten't French !

I have no idea how many people will be turning up, how long we would have to queue for... Has anyone been to a similar event before ? Do you have to camp outside al night to get in ? :biggrin: If we meet at Waterloo is that not too out of the way for people, seeing as the signing is near Tottenham court road underground ? We will have travelcards so we don't really mind, but if some people are planning to buy tickets as they go...

On a side note, the price of tube tickets seems to have gone up like mad since last time I was in London, and typically, we'll be there for 5 days, and there are only 3 or 7 day travelcards, and buying a 3+1+1 costs more than a 7... D'oh !
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

Aw shucks, Ella, that sucks... I will have my revenge, I will... (and Doors will get Geoffacated one one day, I swear...) but yeah, there will be photos. Good luck with your exam !
  42. Maljonic Administrator

Marcia and I will be there, I wouldn't pass up a chance to meet Katcal for all the plant pots in Ceylon. We shall be staying in our London residence, so it doesn't matter where we meet really - but outside Sainsbury's on Liverpool Road, Islington would be outrageously convenient. :)
  43. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

We'll be able to come, but we won't make it till a bit later in the afternoon, as I have to work on Saturday morning.
  44. spiky Bar Wench

Twiddles thumbs waiting for continental drift to go about pushing Australia into Europe. This may take a while so don't wait for me OK.
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

Awwww, Mal that's sweet... :smile: Hang on, wait, are there any pot plants in Ceylon ? :lol:

Yay for the Garnerite invasion ! (also, you have a jumper to collect :wink:)

Seriously, any news from monkeyboy ? I do have a present for him too... :cool:

(I know, I'm in a smiley mood today.)
  46. jaccairn New Member

Queuing time - expect at least 30mins, probably longer! The forbidden planet ones tend to be very popular.

Clay men - unless someone wants to get to the British Museum at 8.30 to queue for the ones released at 9.15 and then hope that the times available don't clash with the book signing - I don't think we're going to get.
  47. Maljonic Administrator

As long as we all get to see each other I don't really mind what else we see.
  48. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Likewise.

Edit to add:
    In fact, I'm happiest sitting around in a cafe/pub/park/wherever, talking to everyone. Best of all is somewhere quiet enough where we can all hear each other, even in a large group.
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

There's a pub just down the road from there called the Jack Horner, Being my namesake, I noticed it, and thanks to the smoking ban, it may be a good place to stay out of the rain. Of course it will rain, silly ! but yeah, basically, anywhere we can sit and chat is fine with me too...
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wendy, I have just seen on L-space that the Nottingham date has been canceled... :shock:
  51. jaccairn New Member

Actually, now that smoking's banned, a pub does sound like a good place. As long as it doesn't play music constantly!
  52. Hsing Moderator

Hey, I just remembered something: is there a chance the Chain Diary could be taken to the meeting and serve as a kind of guestbook, or be taken along by the next best person that would like to add something?
  53. Katcal I Aten't French !

**prods Garner** That is a great idea Hsing !
  54. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It is a great idea. I have been repeatedly prodding him to do his bit, and maybe I can get him to do it before Octobercon, and then we can legitimately pass the book along at last!
  55. Hsing Moderator

Another thing occured to me: If you have the classical sit in session in some cafe or pub... I don't know if anyone has already written Plaid. *guilty look* Not me, although I plan to. I bet she'd find it cool to receive a collective postcard or something like that from a Board Con.
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

That's a great idea too ! does anyone have her adress where she is now ? I do think of her (at least but not only) whenever I see the serious guys with badges around in town...
  57. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i did some practice drawing today for my bit of the diary. now my wrist hurts like fuck.

but i'm aware of the situation.
  58. Hsing Moderator

Well, the diary would have stayed in the UK for another while anyway, so if someone decides s/he wants to take it with them when you guys meet, it could still be sent back to you at a later point in time, or you might get it back in January, depending on who gets it. That would give your wrist and your drawing practice time! :smile:
    Or, people decide to spontaneously scribble into it during the Con, and you take it back home with you.

Besides that, I'd do the letter/postcard for Plaid the missionary first - it would be for someone in particular, wheras the diary is a project that doesn't exactly run out of time.

(Plaids adress went over the mailing list, it is known to some Octobercon attendees.)
  59. chrisjordan New Member

You can still send mail to the Alberta address she posted on Bmail, but it's the Missionary HQ address and takes forever to get to her. If you want, I can PM you her current, direct address, which she'll be at for the next few weeks at least.
  60. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Please do, Chris.