Members' News 2

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Hsing Moderator

Here it is, the new members' news thread, ping-free ans sparkling.

So, post ahead!
  2. Hsing Moderator

3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Michael has a cold. I'm trying to juggle looking after him and keeping us in nappies, since we've just started trying out reusable nappies.
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

We're half way through House Moving Week, and have done a surprising amount of moving in just 2 days, we'll hardly have anything left to put in the van we've rented for the whole weekend! Go us!
  5. randywine Member

Ah that new thread smell...lovely.

I was made redundant last Friday, so I now have to suffer the agony of 12 weeks 'Garden Leave' which is just a full 12 weeks leave where I may/may not be asked to do stuff. On full pay...(you can tell I'm in pain here no?).

In this 12 weeks I will:

Re-write and edit my Nano novel and let someone actually read it.*

Finish recording all the songs that I have had buzzing in my noggin for the last 2 years.

Start my new Training regime (actually I have booked the PT sessions and paid for a string of them so I'm committed now).

On the fitness front a couple of weeks ago I just completed the Rock Climbing competency course at the Glasgow Climbing centre (I used to rock climb about 25,000 cheeseburgers ago) so if anyone wants to go climbing meet me at Alien Rock in Edinburgh or Ratho Climbing Centre, give me a shout. :smile:

Keep smiling.

Randy

*By that I mean hold them down and force them to listen to it, while I do all the voices.
  6. peapod_j New Member

Got back to the student accomodation on Tuesday. Lots happens when I was away and this morning (Thursday) the fire alarm went off at 0600 and I have class at 0900. Now I can not go back to sleep and want to die.
  7. TamyraMcG Active Member

Well,here I go again- I went back to work after my Grandma's funeral, which was lovely and a real tribute to my wonderful grandma. Little Celina said "sleeping" when she saw Grandma in her casket, she did look peaceful and beautiful. Adam came and managed to survive meeting many of the 54 immediate relatives that were there( there were a bunch of not so immediate ones too), anyway after the committal at the cemetery, at least it was calm and sunny even if it was in the teens, we went back to the church and looked at pictures and watched the "kids", my fathers generation,go through the cards and collect the money.

Adam followed me out to the farm where he survived a naked Ethan and a squealing Celina, she was copying my brother and trying to get Ethan interested in a chasing game. We played a few games of Apples to Apples. My brother Richard won the first two (he's the Apples to Apples champeen of my family) and brother in law Blake won the last game, my sister said that she thought Adam was picking my cards consistently, either he was keeping track or we just think alike she said. I believe we just think alike. I spent the night at the farm, Adam went home because he had stuff to do the next day and I went to his place later that day. We had Mexican pizza and homemade guacamole and custard for dessert.

Anyway when I was leaving work on Monday there was a funeral notice on the wall, My good lifelong friend had passed away the day we buried my Grandma. her husband worked in the QA lab on swingshift but he came in early a lot so I had gotten to know him a little at least. He is pretty devastated by her loss. He'd always been aware that she was in fragile health but the end was brutally sudden and caught them both by surprise i believe. She had been born with a hole in her heart and had been through several surgeries that never really "fixed" her, she was actually on a transplant list, but from what she said about that,I don't think she ever really wanted to go through that. So I have asked for a couple hours to go to her funeral this Saturday, if the weather doesn't turn awful again my sister will probably come, except that it is more likely to be awful then not. I had to tell another of our good friends the news, because she didn't recognize the new phone number, Oh yes my friend and her husband had just bought a house, I was sort of waiting for her to give me the go ahead that she had it all put together so I could visit.

I wish I could say that I have had my quota of funerals for the year but I know better then that, still this is plenty for a while. I hope I have better news next time.
  8. Hsing Moderator

Tamyra, what a grievous month, and what a sad way to find out. I do hope that will be your quota of harm for this year, even though that probably wouldn't help right now. I am sorry to hear all that.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

What a run of bad news, Tamyra. I hope you get some good news to cheer you a little.
  10. TamyraMcG Active Member

I forgot to mention the plant was audited a couple weeks ago for the AIB and the BRC, we got a superior mark on the AIB and and A on the BRC. The inspector said our plant was one of the nicest he has been in. The B in BRC stands for British, so maybe we'll be sending some fries over there. It is always nice to know we have a decent place to work in.

I did get the time I asked for for the funeral. The pastor was my friend Carol's pastor from San Diego, she had worked for him as his secretary for 12 years and had just got back from a trip to Israel the day before she passed and he wanted so badly to come do this for her and Lyndon that he got back on a plane and came here. He seemed like a very nice man. My sister and her husband came, I was so happy to have her there. we flanked our special friend and cousin who had been very close to Carol. She was a great teacher and friend to all of us at the little church in Ponsford.

So now I am waiting for snow, not wanting it so much as wanting it to come and get over so I can get the driveway plowed, I have had just enough fall since the first time it was plowed to make using it an adventure. Adam wants me to come to Bemidji tomorrow but I probably won't go if the roads are bad. I can manage the six miles to work but 50 miles to the boyfriend's house gets a little tough. The last weather forecast I heard was calling for maybe over a foot of snow, all day sunday and through the night ending on Monday morning. Sounds like a perfect excuse to stay home, read, and nap with cats to me. I don't go back to work until Thursday so I might get to read a couple books at least!
  11. peapod_j New Member

well I got the last of my training today. I can dictate everything straight to my computer.

I also got good news from my course leader today. The process of me getting to the stage has now started. All I need to do now is fill out application forms and get approved and signed by my course leader. If I do get to go I will be over the moon but I just have to wait and see.

I also got my exam results for last semester. I have past two of my modules with good C grades and my third module I passed with a decent D grade however I am still waiting for my last module results to come through hopefullyI receive this grade in the next few days.
  12. Hsing Moderator

Me, I'm offline for a few days, going to paint some walls in an otherwise empty flat!
  13. jaccairn New Member

I was woken up by the phone at six this morning, there didn't seem to be anyone there when I answered but eventually discovered at about 9.30 that it had gone to voicemail and was from work to say that they had decided to shut today because of the snow. So I decided to stop trying to did out the car especially as it's starting to snow again!
  14. peapod_j New Member

From a good day yesterday to a bad one today!!

Where do I start?

Well I supose I will start with the really good news. Well My University runs an exchange program with a few Univerity's over in the Americas one in Canda and one in the USA. I have asked if i can be considerd for the one in Canada and I got a replly yesterday to the sound of you can go. I cant wait to start the proses properly but it means i am really going to have to work hard in the next year and abit to be able to go.

Now on to the bad piece of news. Well bad for me not the other sudent on my course. My campus is going to be shut next Thurday and Friday 18th and 19th due to a holiday of some sought however my courses still get taught so i have to try to get back to the mainland and find accomodation in Dornoch to be able to go to class those two days. Imput panaking mad woman here. I now want to kill the princaple of my campus!!

One more thing. One of my lectures is a Prachett fan makes me feel a bit better.
  15. TamyraMcG Active Member

Guess what? I had another visit from Death, this time a co-worker. He was too stubborn to go to a doctor, thought it would be too costly. The last time I talked to him I was struck with the desire to take him to the emergency room myself, but I didn't think I could wrestle him into the car. I kind of wish I had now, but it might not have helped anyway. Now I have to go to the county jail to visit my wayward nephew. He's hopefully going to be getting out soon and entering a treatment program. I hope he can get his head back on straight and resume a life that means something to him.
  16. Hsing Moderator

Good Heavens, Tamyra. :neutral: I don't know what to say, really.
  17. spiky Bar Wench

Well here's a turn up...a spanking new thread for my return.

Tam that all sucks and it sucks all bad. Hope Death decides to leave you alone for a while.

I'm back from holiday with an upset tummy and a sore throat that has worked its way into my ears...Seeing the doctor this afternoon. Other than that I'm glad I had the break but I did miss you guys.
  18. TamyraMcG Active Member

Today I noticed a sure sign of spring, I smelled a skunk on my way to work! we have been having below zero nights and above freezing days the last couple of days so I guess the maple syrup folks are getting antsy- that is supposed to really make the sap flow. My folks are planning on heading down to the cities this weekend, they haven't seen the little kids in three weeks and they are in withdrawal I guess.

I saw Aaron again this evening, he seems fairly well and will be out of jail sometime this June, if not sooner and he hopes to get back to living his life. He has learned about the things he doesn't want anyway. He probably won't be at the jail here for much longer so I don't know when I'll see him again, might not be until June. they have this extremely lousy system of closed circuit tv and phones that are almost impossible to hear, for visiting inmates at the new Jail in town, so I barely know what he was saying.

Adam is being called out of state again in March, so we are going to have Cat here at the Chateau Sud (Adam calls his tiny little house the Chateau Steele, so my place, being south of his home, is the Chateau Sud). I am anxious to see how he will take to Marty. Cat got along great with Bob and Dave and they get along great with Marty so there is some hope, but it is a good thing I will be at home most of the time he is going to be here.
  19. peapod_j New Member

Cold Cold Cold! Sumes up the wether here at the moment. The ferry isnt running for the next few days (this includes the fright ferry) so people will have to fly in as long as the airports stay open! Feels like we are going to get cut off at any given moment.

On the plus side I finished class early and was able to mention Pratchett during said class! The lecture being a Prachett fan himself smiled at it and seamed pleased that he has a Prachett fan in his class!
  20. mazekin Member

In 12 hours time, I will be sitting on a plane, on my way to Chile for 3 weeks of sunshine and fun...happy, oh so happy...:smile:
  21. TamyraMcG Active Member

Did you get there in time to feel the earthquake Mazekin? I hope you are having a blast in Chile.

I am all sweaty and happy from dancing and one shot of tequila. Tons of people from work were there so it was more fun than the usual Saturday night at the bar, plus I know the band. I have got to do that more often.

This morning I was at Adam's, he fed me the best breakfast I have had in ages, crispy corned beef hash topped with an avocado, wild rice, and cheese omelet. I also had a roll and special weekend coffee w/Kahlua and a dish of wild rice w/ half and half and brown sugar. The night before we had asparagus, elk steak and wild rice. The wild rice was some I gave him, I had told him it was very nice rice, but he was surprised just how much nicer it was then the usual stuff. He told me he will buy some this year, but I doubt he'll be able to pay for any. It is a family thing.
  22. mazekin Member

We got as far as Heathrow on Saturday morning...then the people at Air France told us the airport was closed and the flights had been cancelled. There is (and I quote) "significant damage to Santiago Airport and it is unclear when it will re-open". We were then stuck in London (I know, there's worse places to be stuck) until today when we could finally get a flight back home because all the flights were booked up because of a stupid Match between Ireland and England. Holiday is ruined and I'll be going back to work tomorrow...and my brother is mad at me and my aunt (so mad, he's not talking to me) because we decided not to hang around in London for a week waiting to hear if the damned airport over there will open in the next 5 days so we can go to a place that the President has declared a 'State of Catastrophe'. I think he's being unreasonable....
  23. TamyraMcG Active Member

I would say unreasonable is putting it mild. I have heard that Santiago isn't too badly damaged but the towns closer to the epicenter need a lot of help. I hope he realizes just what he was asking of you and takes his head out of where ever it has been...
  24. spiky Bar Wench

Sorry your holiday was ruined Maze...Hopefully you have travel insurance that'll get your money back.

Your brother needs a brainelectomy.
  25. peapod_j New Member

I am really sorry to here that Maze. Hopefuly you will be able to go when the country is back on its feet.

I hope you're brother realises what he has said and says sorry.
  26. jaccairn New Member

I've just booked tickets to go and see the Hairy Bikers on stage in Tunbridge Wells with my Mum ans Sister-in-law. Should be a fun evening if they're anything like their TV shows.
  27. mazekin Member

Oh you lucky thing! Enjoy it! I always love watching their shows. Hate living so far away from everything that goes on...
  28. spiky Bar Wench

I've never quite been sure about how a live on-stage cooking show works... would love to see one but they bypass Canberra too. We will get Obama though. What joy and mayhem.
  29. peapod_j New Member

That will be intresting spiky. Well my mum aives on the island tonight. I haven seen her for 7 weeks so have really missed her and i am getting exited about seeing her. I am meeting her off the ferry tonight.

I am going to an anime con in November in Edinburgh so looking forward to that!
  30. jaccairn New Member

Power cut just as I got home last night, so cooked dinner by torch (torch fixed to dangle face down above the gas hob) and candle light. I find reading by candlelight very difficult; I don't know how they managed in the old days. Came back on just as I'd finished eating.
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

So you had an involuntary Earth Hour then? ;)
  32. TamyraMcG Active Member

Oh my, that hit my funny bone. I think I may be single, for reals this time. He just set the warning bells off one too many times last night so I gathered my things and came home. I have been tired of living so much by my self and it is danged inconvenient trying to find a life partner when you are dating someone exclusively already.
  33. peapod_j New Member

No power for nearly two days makes me very annoyed! I turn 22 today :p I am using our genarator to get power to use the internet, as well as keeping the heating and fridge going. Saturday I am meeting some people from online for the very first time to do with an anime con I am going to in November so if you hear of a groop of anime fans invading costa coffee in Edinburgh its probably us lol.

I have now got power yay.
  34. Katcal I Aten't French !

Just got a giggle from some research I'm doing into my family tree on Ancestry.co.uk. You can see the trees that other people have already done that intersect with your own, and one of these was labelled "Ogg family tree". I had a quick look, and a couple of generations in, there are a few Orrs, and higher up, a couple of Mallorys. I know it's silly but it made me laugh...
  35. spiky Bar Wench

You know this explains a lot don't you?

Break from teaching but pressure to get thesis written is mounting... Yes I'm still going. Don't ask.
  36. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

My Grandpa died and we had to go up to Scarborough for the funeral. Michael had flu, which was a shame, but did at least make travelling easier. Now Garner has it. I had the flu jabs, so I haven't had it. Hooray!

As a result of my mum's inheritance from my Grandpa, we will finally be able to buy a house. We should be moving in a few months.

I've given up work to look after Michael. He crawls, eats, stands and is starting to talk. He can say 'Daddy' and 'Mummy' clearly enough to identify.
  37. spiky Bar Wench

So it shouldn't be long till he's not talking to you at all and wanting his own car :)

Congrats on the house too.

Brother-in-law and his wife are coming next weekend just to go to the big book fair they have in Canberra. Mel is more obsessed with books than I am. To give you some idea, they are coming half way across the country to buy books, and Australia is a big country.
  38. jaccairn New Member

Hope the flu departs speedily.

Congratulations on the house. Hope it has a garden as you'll need somewhere for Michael to let off steam and leave some peace and quiet indoors.
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

Since Friday we have been joined by 2 new family members: Felix and Toffee, two as yet unexploded cats. They are brothers we have picked up from the local DSPCA, aged 2 and 3. Cute photos and tales of feline idocy may ensue. Brace yourselves.
  40. spiky Bar Wench

Talking of pets... It's getting cold now so Jackson is having to sleep in the laundry but last night things went a little wrong...

All I have to say that starting the day having to clean up one of the filthiest, sloppiest, stinkiest messes ever is not good. It was so bad that I had to where the gas mask we had for the application of dangerous chemicals... Still the smell got through.

Oh, the humanity!
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It has!

[IMG]
  42. spiky Bar Wench

Awwwww... You know you'll need to get e lawn mower now.
  43. Katcal I Aten't French !

Geez, I skipped that bit about the house, Grace, congrats!
  44. mazekin Member

Congrats Grace - gosh, he's gotten big!
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

He's just very near the camera, Maz. ;)

And Spiky, maybe I could just let Michael sit there picking the grass for a very long time...
  46. TamyraMcG Active Member

That would be killing two birds with one stone :). I have a feeling there will be a lawnmower eventually. I considered getting a goat myself , but then I'd have a goat.
  47. Katcal I Aten't French !

Just found out I also have some distant cousins bearing the proud name of Garner :lol: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  48. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Look out, we'll be installing ourselves before you know it!
  49. TamyraMcG Active Member

I had my second guitar lesson and it went okay, I have lots of exercises to do and next week Eric(my teacher) says I might even start learning chords, eek. I also ordered a blue trike for myself, it has a basket behind the seat so I can carry stuff, my plan is to get strong enough to ride to town ( about three miles)and get an ice cream cone. but the real goal is to get strong enough to make it to the swimming beach, that is only a mile away so I think it should be very much possible. I have to wait until Wednesday to pick it up but it is going to be a good thing.
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh it's a pedal trike not a motor trike! Cooool! I should get one of those, I'm so crap at riding a bicycle, my balance sucks...

Grace, honey, you guys are welcome whenever you like!
  51. jaccairn New Member

Spent a rather soggy day at the Kent Craft Fair at Penshust yesterday and indulged in a metal wall plaque in the shape of a dragon (and also bought some cheese).

There was a stall with some amazing glass sculptures Sandra Young Glass and I was very tempted except for two things;
    1, the price of the things
    2, the sheer terror of trying to transport something that intricate and made of glass, home in one piece.

Enjoy the pictures, they're even more amazing in real life.
  52. mazekin Member

All I can say is...Wow...and I want one...actually, I want them all!
  53. spiky Bar Wench

They are pretty cool but I can see why you'd freak out about transporting them...
  54. Hsing Moderator

I'd dig the link, but when a quarter of your ancestry doesn't even know about the existence of your branch of the family tree, you have to tread carefully. :razz:

And now to something completely different. We're doing great here, and there are a few events within the next few weeks we're looking forward to, in particular the Carnival of Cultures this weekend.
  55. spiky Bar Wench

Yay for Berlin!

I have finally sorted my facebook account...i.e. finding friends. So if you get a friend request from some strange chick drinking from a coconut you've been warned.
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

Felix, the younger of our 2 kittehs is very poorly sick, and I really am not looking forward to what the Vet will have to say tomorrow... :sad: Bob knows what I mean.
  57. Hsing Moderator

I'm keeping my thumbs crossed, but we've seen the KrautKitten very sick in the past, too... Cats are so resilient... if they let you notice they're unwell, that's almost a good sign. If I can share any advice on "how to make a sick kitten eat or drink again" and similar stuff, let me know.
  58. DEATHOFRATS New Member

Walked up Pen y Fan, the tallest mountain in Southern Wales today...it's over two and a half thousand feet high.
  59. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, the news isn't good. The vet called today to say that Felix has Feline Leucemia, and after we popped in to say goodbye this evening, they put him to sleep. The poor thing was in very bad shape and we knew it was the right thing to do, but I cried like a baby. May his next 8 lives be full of endless tins of tuna and balls of string. At least he had his towel with him.
  60. mazekin Member

Just spent the last day in the Regional Hospital...and I am really, really, really starting to hate that place. My brother came home from Chile for a quick visit; arrived in home at about 10.30pm yesterday, said hello and then went to bed exhausted having been travelling over 24 hrs. He got up this morning and the 'funky tan' that looked a little strange last night in artificial light looked suspiciously like 'major jaundice'. So he's now in isolation with either Hepatitis or 'some kind of suspicousl bug bite' and I'm wondering what the hell is going to hit my family next? The Plague? Any suggestions? I'll open a book on it....