Hi :)

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by The_Khan, Mar 30, 2006.

1. The_Khan New Member

Hi everyone, my name is Ernst and I'm a big fantasy/scifi fan. I haven't read Terry Pratchett yet but it is on my reading list. I hope I can make new friends and my experience here can be a wonderful one. Thanks :)
  2. Roman_K New Member

Welcome. :)
  3. The_Khan New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Roman K my friend. So how long have you been on this site?
  4. drunkymonkey New Member

Ello thar. You really need to read Pratchett because it pwns and stuff.
  5. Delphine New Member

Yo. Welcome to the board :)
  6. Roman_K New Member

Two to three years, counting the days when we were still on the old boards. Closer to three now than to two, if memory serves.
  7. The_Khan New Member

Drunkymonkey my friend, I'm really looking forward to reading Terry's books. I've heard a lot of good things about them :)

Delphine my friend, thank you for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it :)

Wow, that's a long time Roman_K my friend. What was the first fantasy book you ever read? Was it the Terry books?
  8. Roman_K New Member

Not as long as some of the other members you'll meet here.

As for my first fantasy book? A good question. Terry Brooks, maybe, or possibly Douglas Niles.
  9. Welcome The_Khan! :)

I would highly recommend reading a TPratchett book! Any of them, I think, would be good to start with. *Insert other peoples suggestions here* (My fist TP/DW book was Feet of Clay) I'm reading Mort right now for the first time and I'm loving it!

What was your first fantacy book? How did you hear about TP?
  10. Maljonic Administrator

Hello The_Khan. :)
  11. Hsing Moderator

Welcome. :)
  12. drunkymonkey New Member

I found Mort to be utterly boring. As was Equal Rites actually. There was a bit of the gap when the Discworld books weren't upto quality. Between Light Fantastic and Wyrd Sisters.
  13. The_Khan New Member

Roman K my friend I read Terry Brooks' Shannara series. Douglas Niles, I've seen his books in the bookstores but I've never read any of his books before, is he good?

Somethingclever my friend, thanks for the warm welcome. Feet of Clay that sounds very intriguing.

My first fantasy book was "The Hobbit". I was having dinner with George R.R. Martin, and I was discussing fantasy books with Paris, who was also with us, and she mentioned Terry to me and that I should read it.

Hi Maljonic my friend :)

Hsing my friend thanks for the warm welcome :)
  14. Sir_Gawain New Member

Personally I'd reccomend Men At Arms to start with.
  15. mowgli New Member

I'd likewise recommend "Mort" :):slaps drunkeymonkey with a large trout::), "Feet of Clay" or "Small Gods". The first and the last was what got me hooked :)
  16. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:58f111774c="mowgli"]I'd likewise recommend "Mort" :):slaps drunkeymonkey with a large trout::), "Feet of Clay" or "Small Gods". The first and the last was what got me hooked :)[/quote:58f111774c]Noes! Mort was god awful!

I first read the Reaper Man, and I still love it. Ridcully FTW.
  17. The_Khan New Member

Thanks for the suggestions my friends, I really appreciate it :)
  18. Human New Member

Mort may not be quite the best Discworld book out there, but it is the best place to start reading. It gives an excellent introduction to the series. The books that came before it are obviously more introductory, but they're so far from the later books that you can't really take them as examples. Basically, if you like Mort, you'll feel that way about the rest of them. And if you don't like Mort, ditto. It's an excellent litmus test.
  19. mowgli New Member

Except in drunkymonkey's case, but he's an intoxicated symian, so the litmus test for them is different! :)
  20. Roman_K New Member

[quote:924d9a602a="drunkymonkey"][quote:924d9a602a="mowgli"]I'd likewise recommend "Mort" :):slaps drunkeymonkey with a large trout::), "Feet of Clay" or "Small Gods". The first and the last was what got me hooked :)[/quote:924d9a602a]Noes! Mort was god awful![/quote:924d9a602a]

I disagree. In my opinion Mort was the first real Discworld book. It was more than just mere parody (good parody, but still just parody). It's one of my personal favourites.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

I really can't remember Mort that well, I must have borrowed it from someone, as I haven't re-read it since...