Confused Numbering Of Discworld Series

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by TheJackal, Aug 28, 2005.

1. TheJackal Member

So I'm of the opinion that there are 30 novels published so far in the main Discworld series. But in the US the numbers are different.

Since the arrival of children's books based on Discworld (Amazing Maurice, Wee Free Men, & A Hat Full Of Sky), I've seen these added to the total.

Also, the link on our homepage saying the order, has left out The Last Hero (no. 27) for some reason!
  2. Maljonic Administrator

It isn't a proper novel though, it's a graphic thing isn't it? It will be listed up there though eventually. :)
  3. TheJackal Member

It is a proper novel. Just because it has only 40,000 wods and pictures, doesn't mean it isn't! It's like what happened with Eric, another clearly Discworld novel which was not recognised as so for ages.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

But Eric wasn't meant to be a proper novel either, someone decided to make it into one; it was meant to be like The Last Hero is, a graphic novel I guess you might call it. I wouldn't call it a novel like the others though, having pictures and loads less text is what makes it not a proper novel - novels are generally thought of as having more than 40,000 words, anything shorter is a novella or short story. I do think it should go on the same page as the novels though, to one side a bit.

Am I wrong in thinking this? :)

P.S. All the books will be in there eventually, or linked from that page like Hat Full of Sky and The Wee Free Men are now..
  5. Marcia Executive Onion

I agree that it is definitely not as complex as a proper novel (well, it might be more complex than some other authors' novels, but not a Terry Pratchett novel). It's as if the story was written to have something to say about the pictures, rather than the pictures being drawn to illustrate a story that stands on its own.
  6. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Rather than it being an Illustrated novel, I would say it's an novelated illustration. But that would be me making up words so maybe I shouldn't.
  7. Maljonic Administrator

'The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents' is also up there now, thanks to Mynona. :)
  8. colonesque10 New Member

But making up words has been your forte for so long Rinso, don't give up now just because it's so called wrong :)